Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

842 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 7:57 PM by rkblackwell RSS
rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2011 11:19 AM

Calf trouble, half marathon coming soon!

Hi

A week ago sunday, I did an 11 mile run... half uphill, half down.  When I got to the top, my calf was bugging me a little.  I didn't pay it too much attention, as I was going down for most of the rest of the run.

When I got to the bottom, I had about a mile of uphill, and it really started hurting.

I'm able to pinpoint where the pain is by pressing firmly... it's on my left calf, towards the inside, at the base of the muscle.  I'll upload a pic.

I rested a bit... ran again on Friday, 5 miles.  I started out on a treadmill, incase it started to hurt, I didn't want to have to walk back... was able to do a mile fine, so I did 4 more outside, no problem, no real discomfort.

In the mornings though, it's a bit sore when I first walk on it, and I'm afraid of pushing it more than 5.

I have a half-marathon coming up in 13 days.

My question is this..... Since it seems to be OK running on it - i.e., no apparent increase in pain.... should I continue running on it - sticking to flat land to avoid the extra stress of going uphill?  OR, should I stay off of it for a week or more?

I'm afraid that if I keep running on it, it'll stay bad and possibly get really painful during the half marathon, or even cause me to drop out part way through.

But I'm also afraid that if I don't run at all, I'll lose some fitness and the half will be that much harder.

This is my first half marathon and I don't want to miss it!  But also don't want to hurt myself.  What to do, what to do?

I've been running just over a year, and typically do 5-6 miles 3 times/week.  A lot of this has been trail/hill running, so I might have just over-stressed it.  My long runs have been up to 12 miles thus far, and I generally feel good about doing 13.1.

I have been massaging it a bit throughout the day and wearing compression sleeves.

Should I rest.... or resume normal activity, sticking to flat land?

In the pic below, red X indicates focal point of pain when pressed.

Thanks!

calf.jpg

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 27, 2011 6:43 PM (in response to rkblackwell)
    Re: Calf trouble, half marathon coming soon!

Given you are 13 days out, you should be tapering off at this point.  You won't lose or gain fitness towards the half at the point so I would try and cut back if you can and go gently to ensure your calf is healthy for next week.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    3. Jun 29, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to rkblackwell)
    Re: Calf trouble, half marathon coming soon!

Vcackerman is correct.  Also, make sure you are stretching and icing it.  The massaging can be very effective as well.  At 13 days out, taper it down and your legs will freshen up.  Good luck.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points