Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11855 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2011 11:21 AM by vcackerman Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Navre Amateur 33 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011

For me, the best feeling is when I'm out on a 9 or 10 mile run, running somewhere around 9:30 minute miles, and then realize that I'm a mile, or half mile from home and have all kids of gas left in the tank. It's then, and only then, that I care about speed. How fast can I run this last mile, or last half mile, etc. When my last mile is my fastest, I'm happy. The rest of the run I don't care about time, just about being able to get my miles in.

Salem MA  Black Cat 10 Mile  March 6, 2011  1:39:22

Topsfield MA GAC Run for Breast Cancer May 8, 2011 15 miles, 2:55:00

Salem MA Miles over the Moon 4 Mile. July 15, 2011  31:32

Wakefield MA Around the Lake Marathon July 30, 2011  5:29:59

• MrsReese Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 26, 2009

I'm proud to say that I am a penguin. There will always be someone faster than. I run because it clears my head, keeps me sane and keeps me healthy. A bad day ends up being a longer run sometimes. I have run HM's at a 12 min pace and been absolutely fine with it. However, I have been doing a lot of track work with a colleague of mine the last couple of months and have been getting much faster. I've gone from 11min feeling comfy to 10 feeling comfy and 9 feeling a little fast. At the end of the day though does it really matter how fast you are? Not in my book. The only thing that matters is "Did I get out there?"

• houRick Rookie 2 posts since
    May 26, 2011

rocdoc50,

Thanks for the reply and the info. I will definitely look for a Sports physical therapist.

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007

My pleasure houRick.  A large portion of the posters on this board have suffered some type of injury over the years that has caused them to miss some running time.  It is VERY frustrating and a lot of us can identify with your plight.  Try to stay positive and don't give in to despair, I am sure over time you will get back to doing some running.  One other suggestion I would give to you is to check the medical blogs in the active community.  This helped me tremendously when I was trying to get information of how to deal with my injury, what to expect and how to map out my return.  Consider this board your "sounding board" as there is always someone has gone through a lot of the things you are currently going through and can give you some good advice.

As I mentioned before, keep us posted on how things are progressing.  Good luck on operation Back To the Run!!

• blissrocks Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011

I enjoy slow long distance running. I don't find fast short runs to be as enjoyable or satisfying. I get more of a rush from getting in more miles then I do more speed.

• Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
    Nov 14, 2010

I care about my time.  I can run 3.1, 6.2 or even 10 miles with relative ease.  My short runs I tend to run at about 9:30 to 9:35 m/m, while my longer runs of 10-12 miles I come in at around 10:15 -10:20 m/m.

Now that I can run these longer distances I am focusing or at least trying to focus on reducing my time. 

I am running the Providence, RI 1/2 Marathon in August and then I'll be training for the Vegas full Marathon in December.  I think the Vegas Marathon has a time limit of 4:30:00 - I really want to come in lower than that and at my current pace, I may struggle. SO, at this point - time matters:)

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• Shellerina Expert 47 posts since
    Oct 21, 2008

Wow, I just checked the Vegas Rock and Roll website, that seems an awfully short cut off time for a full, considering the half cut off is 4:00 even, and every other rock and roll marathon has a cut off of at least 6 hours. Also, I noticed that in one place it says the race is December 4 and in the spot where it shows the cut off times it says the race is October 6. Which is a Thursday. Something doesn't seem right about that, I would look into it further. But of course keep working on improving that time!

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

the October 6th date is last date you can change (half to full, etc)

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...