Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3208 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2011 12:25 PM by Katie21784 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Danny903 Amateur 9 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2011 7:13 PM

Need help/ encouragement

I'm relatively new to running, starting the program the 2nd week in May. My problem is that I feel like I'm not progressing like I should be. I'm 35 years old, over weight by the book but relatively fit, and am literally getting whipped by this thing. I am on my 4th repeat of week 5 and it is getting very discouraging. Some days I make it 15 minutes...then I have to walk. Feeling as if I made progress I go out on my next run and literally feel like I'm gona fall out after 7-8 minutes....one step forward and two steps back!!  Has anyone else experienced this struggle? If so how long did it finally take you to over come it? Thanks in advance.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Jun 28, 2011 8:09 PM (in response to Danny903)
    Re: Need help/ encouragement

Hi Danny, Congratulations on your accomplishments so far.  Beleive in yourself as you can do this.  Slow your pace down, even if you feel you are going slow....go slower. Run with good posture and try to

regulate your breathing and slow down.  You are at the point now where you are doing your LSD....long slow distace.  While it may only be 20 min. but for a new runner, that week was/is huge.  So in some regards it is no different than any other LSD run. Slow down to a pace that allows you to complete your time goal.

Much of running is mental.  You will need to learn to overcome those barriers that get in your way.  Make a deal with yourself that you will run to the next tree, street, light pole.,...whatever, then once you get to it challenge yourself to go to the next.

You can do this, I know you can!! Believe in yourself and report back on your progress.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    2. Jun 29, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to Danny903)

Danny, hang in there!  What you are experiencing is common among all runners.  The mental part of running is the most important!  If you really want to be successful at running, you will be if you just believe in your own strength.  That being said, try to run at the same time on days you run and pay attention to what you are eating and at what time.  It may take some experimentation but a small meal or snack from 1-3 hours before your run can work wonders for your energy level.  You will still have mental and physical barriers to break through on this journey but nutrition can be easy to overlook when you are getting started.  You might also try an energy gel before a run, I have great success especially with the GU brand.  Good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• smerritt24 Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 29, 2011 7:24 AM (in response to Danny903)

Danny - come join our forum at Mid-June Beginners....you'd be surprised to find out how many of us have to repeat weeks.....it's completely ok......noone became an instant runner overnight - it takes training, discipline and just being in the right frame of mind.  You can do this - --- come read how the rest of us NEWBIES are doing!

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 227 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jun 29, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to Danny903)

The heat definitely zaps your energy.  I'm an experienced runner and went out for a 20 minute run a few weeks ago during the heat of the day.  I thought becuase it was a short run I didn't need to bring any water or worry about sheilding myself from the sun. By the end of the run I was unbelievably thirsty. And the next day I felt crappy which I think was due to the poor planning of my run the day before.  Always make sure you have plenty to drink when you are out running in the heat!

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    6. Jun 29, 2011 10:24 AM (in response to Danny903)

Danny, I'm in MS too and this heat is pretty crazy!  I had drank PLENTY of water before my run on Monday and still ended up pretty dehydrated...actually almost passed out after my run, so definitely take care of yourself out there and make sure you are getting plenty of water and sports drinks in your system to stay hydrated.  I also got stuck on that one for awhile!  I was just running what was a comfortable pace for me, but as the times started getting longer and longer there was just no way I could run that pace for that long.  A friend told me to slow down.  I was hesitant because it felt like it took more energy for me to hold myself back than it did for me to just run my normal pace, however, after a couple of days of forcing myself to slow down, I was finally able to complete the time and I also got to where I was more comfortable running at the slower pace.  Another thing, how often are you running?  If you are running more than 3 days a week, it may be that your body just isn't getting enough recovery time.  Hang in there!  Lots of us got discouraged when the times started upping and had to repeat weeks, but just stick with it and believe in yourself and you'll find yourself progressing!  Before long you'll be shocked at the progress you've made!  If you can, try to get out there and run in the mornings.  I can't run in the mornings during the week, but try to get out earlier on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays and while it's still muggy, it's definitely cooler than it is in the afternoons/nights right now!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    8. Jun 30, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to Danny903)

Congrats!  Glad you were finally able to make it over that hump!  Not to thread jack, but what part of MS do you live in?  I live in Brookhaven, but am in the Jackson area the majority of the time due to work.

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    9. Jun 30, 2011 8:13 PM (in response to Danny903)

Congrats Danny!!! I knew you could do it.  Yooohooo!!!!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• venicetrlrunr Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2011
    11. Jul 9, 2011 8:35 AM (in response to Danny903)

Danny: congrats on breaking through your first barrier. Although it has been a long time ago, I still remember my early days. I ran for time, not distance. I had a built-in "barrier" at 16 minutes. It did not matter how fast or slow I ran; if the course was hilly or flat; hot or cold....@ 16 minutes I wanted to die! In fact my training partner didn't have to look at his watch...I was so consistent. But I made a deal with myself: if I ran 20 whole minutes without stopping, I'd reward myself with 3 days off! And it worked. My next "barrier" was 30 minutes. Some other suggestions: vary your goal times. Your body is quick to learn to collapse at whatever endpoint you set. How that would work is: for a 3 day running week, one day is 12 minutes, one is 20 minutes and one is 21 minutes. Another tip is to run with a buddy at least one run per week. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to run with someone else. Just be sure they are about the same level as you are. It can be frustrating if they are faster or stronger than you are. Something else that is hardly ever discussed with beginners: some days you will find your legs ruling, some days your lungs will rule, some days your heart will rule and some days your mind will rule. The runner's high comes fromt he few days when all systems are on the same page. Believe me, that does not happen on every run, no matter how many years you have been running. Of course the advice on hydration, nutrition and rest is valuable. One other thing: as a beginning runner, you will not be efficient either in form or physiology. However, the body doesn't like pain, so it will force you into a natural pace and stride the more you stick with it. You WILL get better as long as you hang in there.  Keep us posted on your progress!

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    14. Jul 29, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to Danny903)

Yeah Danny!  slowing down really makes a huge difference, along with proper hydration and not running in the wet blanket of humidity that we're experiencing

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...