Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1784 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 10:51 AM by Julie Ann Hackett
aitran72 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2011 2:04 PM

New in running and looking for advise

I'm new here and new to running, so I need all the tips and ideas that anyone can give me.  I want to do this the right way because I want to do this for a long time.  I'm a mother of three and workout 5-6 times a week for 1.5 hours a day, but still want to do something more.  I know that I will need a running shoe, but is there one better than the other?  How far and how oftern should I begin?  Again, any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ai

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Jun 28, 2011 8:20 PM (in response to aitran72)
    Re: New in running and looking for advise

An excellent beginning training plan is the C25K, Couch to 5K program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

it will get you up and running a 5K 3.1 miles in 9 weeks.

As to shoes, find a store that specializes in running shoes.  Fleet Feet is one that has a lot of locations. but there are others.  Their personell are trained to watch your gait, check the shape and flexibility of your foot and make recommendations as to the type of running shoe you need.  Ask them why they recommend a certain type, ie neutral or stability.  They will have you try on several styles within your needs and you select the one that feels best.  By the way, you will likely wear a larger running shoe than you do in street shoes.  Make sure you have adequate toe room.

Also, spend a few $$s on some good wicking socks.  They keep your feet dry and help prevent blisters.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 28, 2011 8:55 PM (in response to aitran72)

I agree with starting with the c25k! Good luck

• squilky Pro 91 posts since
    Jul 18, 2007
    3. Jun 29, 2011 5:10 AM (in response to aitran72)

I've never been a runner, so when I started couch to 5K, I was skeptical to say the least. I was doing fine with all the intervals where you alternate between jogging and walking. Then I hit a wall (figuratively not literally ;-) ) when I reached week 5. Week 5 Day 3 I was supposed to run for 20 minutes straight with no walking. I tried and tried and never seemed to be able to do it. I did my 20 minjutes, but I worked a few walk breaks in. I couldn't run the whole time. It was frustarting me and I was ready to give up. Then someone on the forum told me to slow my pace down. If I felt the need to walk, it was because I was going at a pace I wasn't able to maintain. As soon as I slowed my pace down, I was able to run 20 minutes without stopping, then 25 minutes and now I am up to 28 minutes. I just finished Week 78 Day 2. So I have just about another week till I finish Couch to 5K.

So my two pieces of advice would be:

1) don't overdo it. Start out slowly and don't expect miracles early on. Develope at the pace you are comfortable with.

2) Even if the current week feels too easy, don't skip ahead or run more days than the schedule calls for. 3 days a week is perfect to start. It gives your body a day to rest in between runs which is really needed. If you try running 5 or 6 times a week, chances are you'll end up injuring yourself.

Oh and I guess one last piece of advice would be to have fun. If you aren't having fun, you'll never finish the program

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• Running Aficionado Pro 188 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    4. Jun 29, 2011 6:06 AM (in response to aitran72)

Welcome to the Running World Ai,

Here's a great resource site that could help you start-off right --- Marathon Running World. As far I'm concern, you made a great decision to start running.

Marathon Running

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    5. Jun 29, 2011 6:58 AM (in response to aitran72)

Welcome!  Glad to hear you are making this commitment!  Sounds like you have a great start as far as your overall fitness goes.  Running shoes can be tricky and the best way to navigate through the maze of trying to find the right one is to go to a reputable running store where they will watch you run and make a recommendation based on their expert opinion of your running form.  This can save a lot of aggravation.  They can also make recommendations on clothing and training programs as well.  Given the amount you are already working out, the c25k may be easy for you, but starting out slow and steady will keep you injury free.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jun 29, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to aitran72)

Welcome to the world of running!  I agree with the advice that you should head to a running store to get properly fitted for shoes.  I'd also recommend reading the book "Born to Run" which talks alot about the mechanics of running and shoes vs barefoot running.  I still run in my sneakers, but I have a different perspective when I'm buying shoes.  I also run barefoot for crosstraining and to work on my form.  I agree, good socks are a must.  And if you do end up with a few hot spots from new shoes, a little Aquaphor will prevent blisters.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points