Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8211 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2011 12:32 PM by puglieseme RSS 1 2 Previous Next
tpetko Amateur 8 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2011 6:09 AM

IT Band Issues

How long does it typically take to recover from an IT band issue ?

Terry

Races Run:

Phoenix 10K (5K leg) Nov 2010 29:53

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 23, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to tpetko)
    Re: IT Band Issues

Try posting in The Med Tent instead of General Running. Also take a look at these two threads.

http://community.active.com/thread/118902

http://community.active.com/thread/81103

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 23, 2011 7:20 AM (in response to tpetko)

Not sure how much running you have been doing?  1st thing make sure you have a good pair of shoes that are not in need of replacing (shoes last between 300-500 miles).  During my 1st marathon cycle I started having some issues and deep tissue massage  help me a lot.  I reduced miles had a couple of deep tissue massage and was back up in a couple of weeks.  Mine might not have been that bad?  Also I started streching my hips after every run. Good luck

• jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    6. Jun 26, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to tpetko)

Took me two months and a LOT of work.

Physical therapy, icing, foam rolling, Graston's sessions, massage therapy, strength training, and cross training

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    8. Jun 29, 2011 7:07 PM (in response to tpetko)

Use rocktape on your run and a foam roller afterwards.

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• Angela42495 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    9. Jun 30, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to indigopet)

It seems to me that everyone is different when it comes to IT Band injuries.  I have been dealing with one for 9 months now and it still gives me trouble at times.  I went through lots of physical therapy, cortizone shots, foam rollering, rock tape, 3 months of no running, acupuncture.  I've been running consistently for a few months now and it hasn't gotten any worse, but I'm really careful and I'm only running every other day to give my legs some healing time.  I still foam roller after every run and sometimes on off days and I stretch my hip multiple times during the day.  I also have a strap that I wear just above my knee for long runs and it really helps.

• Averysteven Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 30, 2011
    11. Jun 30, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to tpetko)

Hi Terry,

I cant purport to be an expert but having run itro 2,000 miles whilst training for the 2011 Marathon Des Sables (150+ miles race across the sahara carrying all my own kit) which I completed in April I hope I can offer my view on ITB problems.

When I decided to take on this event over 2 years ago I entered my training from a background of rugby and (obviously) started running too far too soon and ended up with ITB issues. After frustrating periods of rest I went to see a gait analyst in Norwich to see if he could help. He conducted various tests, including pressure pad tests to view my centre of gravity whilst running and prescribed some orthopaedic insoles for my trainers.

I started wearing them gradually over a week or so and it cured my ITB problems (along with more sensible training increases).

I still ice my knee after every run, even though it doesn’t hurt, as a preventative measure and this saw me through my training distance including marathons in Las Vegas and Marrakesh in my build up to the MdS and through the event itself. I also stretch my hamstrings, calves and IT bands every day which takes a total of about 10 mins but is well worth the investment in time to stop any reoccurrence!

I am a great (unqualified) believer that ITB issues are caused from underlying conditions that can be addressed, ideally in the way I managed to get them sorted.

I hope this is of help and offers hope that the ITB enigma can be resolved satisfactorily. I remember how despondent I was at week after week of pain and reduced training.

Happy training

Steve

• Angela42495 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    12. Jul 1, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to Averysteven)

I'll try to make this brief.  I started running in August...I ran a half marathon in April.  I had absolutely no issues during training, but by mile 4 of the half my knee was killing me.  I finished the race and could barely walk for a couple days.  That was my right IT band.  I took a couple weeks off from running and bought the strap and started foam rollering and all was well.  I started training for a marathon that was to be run in October.  I went through most of the training with no problems (I even stopped using the strap on my right leg because it was fine).  During the last couple weeks before the taper I started feeling a little change in my left knee, but nothing serious.  During my last long run (24 miles) before the race I had to stop and stretch my left hip often so I could keep running.  I finished but when I went out the next day for an easy three miler, I cried the whole time (but I finished...are you starting to see the stupidity in this whole thing).  At this point it was severe stabbing pain that I could no longer run through so I gave myself a two week break and tried it out one week before the marathon to see what I could do and I even used my handy strap.  I made it 1.2 miles before I was forced to stop, it was so bad the strap didn't even help.  Heartbroken, I backed out of the marathon started all the different treatments I mentioned before.

I started training again about 5 weeks ago for the same marathon this year.  Ran 12 today and did okay.  I used the strap and felt a couple times where it hurt a little, but not bad.

You asked if I knew what caused it...I think the first time it was uneven roads.  I trained on a fairly even surface the whole time and the race was on a slanted road and it affected me pretty quickly.  The second time (on the opposite leg) I would have to say it was too much too soon.  I was running 6 days a week and logging lots of mile for a new runner.  Hopefully I've learned (hopefully).

The strap that I use is very simple.  It has about a 1" square area that is thicker than the rest and you put that on the outside of your leg about 2 inches above your knee and the strap wraps around your leg and is held tight with velcro.  The theory is that the extra pressure from the strap (the little pad is placed right on the IT band) hold the IT band steady so it doesn't rub as you move your knee.  I'm not big on using braces or tape or anything artificial, but it really seems to help.  Here is a link to the one I bought...http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO010/

I hope this is useful so that my pain can prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

• Averysteven Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 30, 2011
    13. Jul 2, 2011 1:26 PM (in response to Angela42495)

Hi Angela. I feel for you as my issues werent as bad as yours but I still got so frustrated with the lack of training. I am now doing triathlons (have a sprint tri here in Norwich tomorrow am) but still take care with my ITB's as I am training for an Ironman tri next year.

The strap you wear is called a pat strap and I have one though havent actually used it as I got my gait analysis done and this has sorted the problem.

In my view (though not an expert!) the strap doesnt solve the problem it just prevents the ITB rubbing so you should look at the cause to avoid the need for the strap. A lot of road running wont help as the roads I run on are cambered at the edge so gives an uneven gait.

I honestly believe that if you go to a good, qualified gait analysist it will be a valid cure!

Good luck with the marathon. Where is it?

S

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    14. Jul 5, 2011 3:18 AM (in response to tpetko)

ITBS needs to be treated aggressively by strengthening your weak areas, which 9 times out of 10 include your glutes and hips. I struggled with this for 6 months after I ran the 2008 NY Marathon and saw multiple PT's. During that time I developed a strength routine I call the ITB Rehab Routine [link to video] which helped me get back on the road.

Good luck!
    - Jason.

Strength Running
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points