Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5301 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 12:00 PM by FlutiePatootie RSS 1 2 Previous Next
runkimberly Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2011 7:42 PM

Stuck on Week 6 of C25K. Maybe I'm not a runner?

I'm feeling so discouraged this week. I have sucessfully completed the first five weeks of the program (including the twenty minute run). Suddenly though I cannot complete Week 6 Day 2 which means running 11 minutes twice.  My family has been encouraging me to sign up for a 5K in August but I just don't see how I'll be ready.  I can barely run a mile at a time this week.

So is this normal to go through a rough patch?  I took a few days off this week but that didn't seem to help.  Maybe I need to just go out every day until I can get through W6D2? I just keep thinking that maybe I will never be a runner.

• reluctanthippie Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 17, 2011

runkimberly - EVERYONE has rough patches. I put myself through the ringer a year ago in getting myself into better shape and then fell off the bandwagon and am now starting from scratch again so right now it all feels like one big rough patch. I will keep plugging at it and you should too! I would suggest maybe going back and repeating week 5 to see if that is helpful. You might not be ready for week 6 yet. As far as the 5K goes, if you think it would be fun then go and do your best. If you have to walk part of it so be it! I am planning on doing my first 5K in October but might try for September. At this point I just want to do one just for the satisfaction of completion. I will worry about time later. (Best part of your first race at a given distance is no mater what you will still get a PR! )

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

Everyone runs into rough patches.  My first jog of week 7 was a total mess and I ended up crying on the side of the road somewhere around minute 12.  We all have bad days.  The trick is to not let it trick you into believing it was anything more than a bump in the road.   If you've tried W6D2 more 2 or more times and you just can't get it ask yourself how close you were.  If it was anything close to close, try skipping it and going for day 3.  If it was really far off decide which would suit you better going back and doing day 1 and then day 2 again or just sticking where you are until you get close.  For me that day was one of the hardest and I think I walked an extra minute because I was huffing and puffing so much.  Many people actually seem to find that the walk messes up their rythem and the longer jogs are no harder because they get in a groove.  I just compleated week 7 and I'm having to slow down at least twice to drink some water.  My allergies are awful and the heat is so bad that my throat gets yucky and I can't swallow if I don't.  I'm not counting that against myself.

Another tip to help you go the distance is to slow down.  If you run for time W6D2 is only 2 10 minute jogs.  (right?)  Now I'm really slow so for me slowing down seems to almost be going backwards, but you don't have to do both time and distance if it's too hard.  I could not go for distance and do this program.  I'm not even close to the distances for the weeks and I figure it will take 2 or 3 extra weeks for me to get there if I can keep jogging on a regular basis, which at this point is not too certain for medical reasons.  But I'm going to do my best to keep jogging as often as I can.

Don't give up.  If I can do this anyone can!

Good luck.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011

Kimberly - don't give up.  There are many factors that play into how a run goes, including mental.  I can tell if I'm retaining too much water - that makes a run rough for me.  Don't give up.  Don't beat yourself up.  Some days you have good runs, some days not so good.  and as long as you are out there trying, you are a runner

Kristy

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• PROBATION MAN Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008

Don't give up. Their right if you have to walk so be it. As long as your out there, look how far you've already come. Remember day 1. Keep it up.

• LiveYourDreams Amateur 12 posts since
    May 24, 2011

Kimberly - I echo what everyone else has written so far.  I failed at my W4D1 run and beat myself up a bit about it.  It's frustrating when you hit a wall and can't seem to climb over it...but you WILL!  Listen to your body and keep the positive thoughts running through your mind.

~ Lana

C25K Program:  

Week 1: Complete! (05/29/11)

Week 2: Complete! (06/04/11)

Week 3: In progress...

First 5K...09/04/11!

• PaRaJiTo Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 20, 2011
    7. Jul 20, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to runkimberly)
    Re: Stuck on Week 6 of C25K. Maybe I'm not a runner?

Hi Kimberly! I just did W6D2 yesterday and also felt a bit discouraged... W5D3 was so much easier than I thought (I thought I would die ifI tried it and that was not the case) and then I get to W6D2 and I felt out of breath a big amount of the time. It was very frustrating. I think by the time I'm writing this you probably already overcame Week 6 and are near the end of your C25K - I really hope that is the case.

After reading all the encouragement from everyone here I am less scared of my 25 min run tomorrow... I don't know how I'm goign to keep my mind from thinking "am I done yet?".

• Paularun Pro 92 posts since
    Jul 9, 2011
    8. Jul 20, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to PaRaJiTo)

Hi Kimberly!

I remember coming home after the W6D2 run and saying to my partner how difficult it was to run again after the walking-break.

It is easier for me to run 20 minutes or longer compared to interval-traning.

Altough I am not sure if I am a runner. I might be a better swimmer :-) Nevertheless, I will complete the programme because everytime I got home I felt better. Not only because of the hormons but also because I am proud of myself.

• Sue7 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    9. Jul 22, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to runkimberly)

Hey Kimberly - I am also on week 6 where they want you to abruptly go from "run 1 mile, walk a quarter mile, walk 1 mile" to "run 2-1/4 miles"! That's just not realistic. My reason for starting the c25k is to be able to run two miles by August 13th (my first race). Last week, instead of trying to run the 2-1/4 miles (which I would not have been able to do), I got in my car, set the odometer to zero, and measured out exactly two miles (the distance in the race I'm entering next month.  Once I did that, I set a goal of running one mile. Once I did that, I worked to increase my distance. I was able to run 1.4 miles, then last night, I hit 1.6. I'm psyched to hit 2 miles! What also worked for me was not trying to run for a certain amount of time, but trying to run for distance. Good luck!

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    10. Jul 22, 2011 10:34 PM (in response to runkimberly)

I actually repeated W6 and W7, don't worry you're doing fine, keep up the good work.

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• B... Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007

I know others have said this... but seriously - everyone has bad days or hits plateaus. You're doing great. Just keep going!

Maybe this will make you feel better... I've been a runner for more than a decade. I've completed a marathon, half a dozen halfs, and more 5k and 10ks than I can count. But a couple of weeks ago I had what I called my "Friday Fail" -- just could not make my legs move. (See: http://i-run-like-a-girl.blogspot.com/2011/06/friday-fail.html) But after a couple of days of rest, I was back up and running again.

At the beginning it's hard to see that a bad day (or week) doesn't make you "not a runner." I felt that way when I started out too! But stick with it, and remember this (in the words of the immortal John Bingham of Runner's World magazine):

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011

Kimberley, you are a runner!  I think they designed Week 6 just to mess with our heads.  After the 20 min run I thought going back to intervals would be a cinch.  Wrong.  W6D1 was tough and W6D2was tougher.  When W6D3 rolled around I vowed to slow down, focus on breathing, not look at the clock, and run until my app chimed again for the final cooldown.    Ever since I have an easier time running straight distances than I do with intervals.  Starting to run again after walking is harder for me than to keep going.  Now that I can better estimate  how far I can go in a given time I measure off a route on mapmyrun.com the night before so I have a plan.   I just finished W9D2 and I'm still amazed by what I have accomplished so far.  It's true - remember Day 1 when it was so hard to run for 60 seconds?  And it was too!  Every step you take moves you in the right direction.  Keep up the good work!

@B... - thanks for the quote. I'm going to have to remember that the next time I don't feel like I'm enough of a runner. 

• Millemma Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2011

I don't know if this helps, but isn't day 2 running 10 minutes twice?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...