Skip navigation

1429 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 11:36 AM by Frank_B RSS
Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2011 8:36 AM

MPR-LL T-rules-Am I understanding this right?

On June 30  LL Inc., sent out a letter to all subscribed ordained league personnel; impacting baseball & softball T-play MPR.

Up to my receiving this letter  a starter could be replaced before fulfilling the required MPR--[still true]- but must be re-inserted sometime before the game ends---[absent a shortened game]--to fulfill his/her  required MP.

Now, my "understanding"..... under the "old" T- play MP rules, with  three defensive outs being required, plus of course, one at-bat----if a starter  played only one defensive out--and batted once--- and was replaced, he/she had to be re-inserted to play two more defensive outs. IOW----the 1st defensive out played counted towards the collective total of three required---MP fulfilled.

With the new 2011 T-play MP required, based on the number of players, in uniform and eligible to start the gsme, MP is either to be six or three defensive outs, and one at-bat.

With the word "CONSECUTIVE" in CAPS and BOLD type as applied to defensive outs;  the just received letter--[which BTW--that word, in the past,  being applicable to a sub entering for a starter]---my "understanding" in reading the subject letter, a starter replaced before fulfilling his/her mandated defensive outs, must play those six defensive CONSECUTIVELY.

Meaning--[ I think]-- if said starter had played any less than six consecutive defensive outs before being replaced, say for example played four, those four will NOT count towards fulfilling his/her defensive outs requirement. The letter saying said starter, absent a shortened game, must be re-entered and play six CONSECUTIVE defensive outs to fulfill his/her MP game requirement------the 1st four D-outs played do not count.

Which, BTW---in regular season play, ALL defensive outs played before his/her being replaced counted, collectively,  towards the six total required for a starter.

IOW---- six played consecutively was not required--->  As noted in the just received letter. Only a sub was required to play all six consecutively.

Frank!

• Phillieball Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 23, 2001
    1. Jul 1, 2011 10:04 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: MPR-LL T-rules-Am I understanding this right?

I am curious as to where you think this would make a difference on a 13+ player team other than due to a starter being removed for injury early in the game.  I can see where it might be a concern if the team had twelve or fewer where you needed to get kids 6 consecutive +1 and weren't getting many runners on early.

How often does anyone see defensive changes made mid-inning?  Back when the requirement was 3 or 1, I did hear a manager think out loud about trying to get the defensive subs in regardless of outs when 6, 7 and 8 in the order were coming up (with 9 as a cushion before bringing back the starters for the top of the order.) 

Mar 23, 2001
    3. Jul 2, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to Frank_B)

I do get your point on less than 6 consecutive don't count.  I spent a lot of time and effort trying to convince my board that we should have at least 13 on every Tournament team because of the new requirement.

Some of the new-to-Tournament coaches were arguing that it was harder to deal with 13 or 14 than work with 12 under the new rule.  I was saying that the penalty for not rostering #13 would be much more severe than they thought.  With 13, you could have all of your MPR out of the way by the end of the third inning if you did well offensively.  With 12, it's at least the end of the fourth.  If you don't get runners on in the early innings, your starters might not get back in until the fifth or sixth.

The new rule is changing strategy.  In the first Tournament we hosted, the manager who won the coin flip wanted to be Visitors, not Home.  When I asked why, he said that with 12, it's better to be Visitors because with a little luck at the plate, he could make his first defensive subs in the bottom of the third.  If he was Home, it would be top of the fourth unless he subbed for players earlier in the order.  It also meant that his starters could return a defensive inning earlier.

On a related note, since the shortening of a game trumps the MPR rule, is there any repercussion if a manager who gets an 8 or 9 run lead early in the game does not substitute at all in anticipation of a mercy win in the fourth inning?

Mar 23, 2001
    5. Jul 3, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Now, LL Inc. does say, in a official regulation game, stopped for reasons beyond managers control---[ when, by rule, a winner can be determined]---and a player or players did not have an opportunity to fulfill their full MPR----no penalty for the manager(s)---but, the players impacted must start the next scheduled game and cannot be replaced until said players have played  their full 6 & 1 for the game at hand, PLUS, what MP they missed in the shortened game.

That's the regular season MPR make-up rule.  Since the MPR provision in Tournament Rule 9 doesn't include it, is it still in play?  The penalties spelled out are for the manager.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Jul 5, 2011 5:56 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Rulte T-9 "is" the Minimum Play Rule for Tournament Play and it does NOT have a Player Penalty associated with it.

In other words, no matter what happens, there is No Requirement that a Player who does not meet MPR in a Tournament Game needs to start the next game and remain in the game until he/she meets MPR for the two games.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...