Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

934 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2011 4:44 PM by 6xchampsfan RSS
6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
Jul 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 4, 2011 4:04 PM

need advice with first ultra

Hello everyone,

I just completed my first marathon two weeks ago. I was very happy to complete the race but at mile 14 my calf muscles started to cramp. I was able to stretch it out and even ran backwards some to get thru it. They got worse and more often as I went. This was a fairly flat course with one hill in the middle. I am getting ready for a ultra marathon thru the mountains of Pa. in Oct. Talked in to it by my 30 year old nephew. What was I thinking. Does anyone have thoughts on what I may have done wrong or what I could do to prevent this from happening again. I'd appreciate any help.

• James Grove Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 4, 2011 4:37 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)
    Re: need advice with first ultra
    Have you tried Hammer Endurolytes.  Muscule cramps may be coming from loss of electrolytes through sweat.  Replacing those electrolytes is essential.  Endurolytes works for me.

Jim

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

11/13/2011 Harrisburg Marathon 4:08

10/9/11 Harrisburg Half Marathon 1:40:41

11/24/2011 New Castle Turkey Trot 5K 21:22

8/6/2011 Attack the Gap 10K 49:19

4/17/2011 CVRT 15K 1:14:53

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points