Skip navigation

3851 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 9:06 AM by Niftygirl16 RSS
lvziggy Amateur 18 posts since
May 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2011 12:48 PM

Swimming makes me dizzy!

Does anyone else have this problem?  I  get seasick really easy, but who'da thought I would get seasick from swimming!!???  I'm wondering if earplugs might help.  I frequently get water in my ears and have to shake my head to get it out.  I'm just afraid the earplugs will keep coming out.   Does anyone else use them?  Any other thoughts on dealing with the dizziness?
  • BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Jun 22, 2011 3:39 PM (in response to lvziggy)
    Re: Swimming makes me dizzy!

My wife gets motio sickness fairly readily. On one open water race over a shallow lake with clear water and ripples in the bottom sand, she got sick right there during the race. Swimming in waves has also been a problem. It depends on what sets off your dizziness. Earplugs may help to keep the water out of the inner ear (and thereby sloshing around creating your problem). The swimming specific silicone plugs are purported to be the best and don't fall out. I suppose you could always take motion sickness medication (Dramamine) before your swim.

BT

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    3. Jun 24, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to lvziggy)

Earplugs would definitely help, as will frequent exposure to choppy water.

Experiment with nutritional interventions as well. Ginger, for instance, can help with nausea and dizziness. One of the athletes I coach used that successfully for a similar "getting dizzy on treadmill" issue...

Ben Greenfield

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• perrbr Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    4. Jun 24, 2011 8:56 PM (in response to lvziggy)

One cause of dizziness when swimming is breathing too little or too much. I think you would know if you were breathing too little and were low on oxygen, but some people breathe too much and this can make you dizzy. If you aren't going too hard and are breathing every 2 strokes, you are possibly over breathing. As you speed up you will need more oxygen and every 2 strokes may be okay. When I swim, I try to breathe the exact same amount as I would if I weren't under water.

Since you move your head when you breathe this can also contribute to dizziness. Try to move your head as little as possible, if you are in a pool look at the line and don't move your head. You may also want to try one of those snorkels that go in front of your face that you can swim with because then you don't have to move your head at all!

Of course breathing may not be the cause of it at all for you, but I thought it was worth a mention!

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    6. Jun 27, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to lvziggy)

Hey there lvziggy,

Thanks for starting this post. I love the thoughtful responses you've received.

I've used earplugs and it made a difference. And if the water was cold(er) then I'd wear two swim caps. As suggested, I'm also careful with my breathing and making sure I'm exhaling and not only trying to take air in.

I'm curious with the idea of ginger and may try that out too.

Thanks all,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    8. Jul 4, 2011 4:44 PM (in response to lvziggy)

I am a HUGE fan of ear plugs!

I used to get dizzy as well coming out of the water and tried ear plugs....Long story short, it stopped! I was very happy as you can imagine. Give it a try and let us know if helps.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

• Niftygirl16 Expert 54 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    9. Jul 5, 2011 9:06 AM (in response to lvziggy)

This is what I love about this place!  Even though I wasn't have the "sea-sick" feeling, I hated the sloshing of the water in my ears.  So I decided after reading this to give ear plugs a try and I'm SO glad I did!!  I was able to swim my full sprint distance TWICE without stopping and I really think it had to do with not having that feeling and wanting to stop and clear my ears.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Michelle

"At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Completed Races:

• 10/31/10 - Monster Mini Dash 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 33.54
    • 3/19/11 - St. Pat's 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 31:51

• 8/7/11 - Jerseygirl Sprint Tri (Long Branch, NJ) 1:32:23
    • 10/2/11 - Wish it, Dream it, Du it Duathlon (Smithfield, RI) 1:50:33

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...