Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11138 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 7:26 AM by IAmBarry RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jul 4, 2011 12:05 AM (in response to IAmBarry)
    Re: Newbie - training to get sub 20 minute 5k

Hi All:

I am also on a quest for a sub 20 minute 5k. My best is a 21:03 to this point and it really is tough to get the last minute off. I started running two years ago and ran a 25 minute first race and that year got my time down to 22:30. Last year I improved to 21:30 and have brought it down a little this year. If you are in the 26-27 minute mile catagory as I'm reading from some of the posts realistically you could be years away from that goal. I'm not saying that to discourage but you need to be realistic. I am 50 and age certainly factors in . You will need to get your weekly mileage up to close to 40 miles with at least one speed work day ( working to be sub 5:45/mile in your speed work) and a good tempo run in the sustained 7-7:20 range.  You will also need to do a couple days of serious hill work.  If your current pace is 8:30/mile going down to 6:30 is huge.

• tompor1 Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    31. Jul 4, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to Billsr)

I wish I were looking for a sub 20 min 5K but that was a few years back when I was in my 40s and 50s. Right now I will be estatic to run a sub 27. Remember one step at a time. Do not get discouraged if your time levels off for a while. BillSr is correct in his training regime for you and as I said from the outset of this discussion this is a big leap in fitness. Good luck guys, but be careful and don't risk injury. Injuries can set you back years or completely eliminate your running.

Run Earth Days 5K..........29:53......9:38/mile.........1'st race in two years

Ford City Heritage Days 5K......27:52......8:59/mile

Red October Run 5K...Wayne, Michigan........Oct 1....28:08

Pain is temporary

Pride is forever

Tom

• bsgnerd Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    33. Jul 5, 2011 11:19 AM (in response to IAmBarry)

Hey guys.  This is a great thread.  I started running at age 33.  in the summer of 2009 I got into a couple of cross country races and was getting 5k times of 26:30 to 27:00.  I did get to the point where I really liked running and was getting out there 3 or 4 times a week.  I will admit I had no training plan so I made no improvements in my times.  I was just running for fun.

In October of 2010 I was out running my usual path and noticed a crossfit gym.  I stopped in and now 8 months later I ran the July 4th Flapjacks and Fireworks 4mile run in Northglenn Colorado in 27:42.  (My name is Mark Sanchez if anyone cares to check my numbers.)  My point is this.  In 8 months of crossfit, running less than 15 miles a month, I can run a 5k in 21 minutes.  I'm 35 now.

If you love running everyday I get it.  Good for you.  If you want to get good at running, ( this means 7 minute miles NOT 5 minute miles) you shouldn't be running.  You should be getting fit.

Thanks, Mark

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Jul 5, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to Billsr)

Billsr - have you thought that perhaps you are racing too much?   I wonder if you would see some more improvement if you took a month or 6 weeks off racing and focused on training and some recovery?

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• dallasboycows Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    37. Jul 5, 2011 3:27 PM (in response to IAmBarry)

first off 2 minutes is nothing.   Injury on the other hand is.  I am in your same boat.  I hadn't ran in 7 years and just upped and ran a 5k.  I ran in 21:05.  I trained for two weeks hard.  and I got tendonitis in about every tendon in my foot.  I had ran a 5k followed by two track workouts in one week.  DUMB!!!  at least for a newbie.  Anyways.  I took time off swimming, cycling and aquajogging and boxing.  It took 3 weeks to heal.  I ran a 5k after one more week of running and ran a 19:05, so to say two minutes in a year is unrealistic is naive.  Maybe if you are already in top shape, but if you are out of shape it is very realistic.

• bsgnerd Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    38. Jul 5, 2011 5:05 PM (in response to IAmBarry)

Yes.  High intensity is exactly what I have for about 20 minutes.  When I run a 10K I really feel it in not a great way. I can't go for 45 minutes.  I think if you train hard for 20 to 25 minutes of cardio and you are building some leg muscle you will see fast gains.  Variety will help you make the gains faster.  I think most people have experienced plateaus in their workouts.

So if you love running get out and do it 2 or 3 times a week for fun but also try dance, martial arts, lower body weight lifting or basketball.  stuff to help get your heart rate up and build leg muscle and maybe even turn a couple pounds of body fat into muscle.

I just got one of those 12lb. sand weight vests.  They feel good to run in because they spread the pressure evenly over your chest and shoulders.  Try running 400m fast, walk, run again and repeat.  This will make your heart pound in your chest and really rips your leg muscles.

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    40. Jul 6, 2011 1:54 PM (in response to vcackerman)

V-You could be right about the rest and recovery. Doing a lot of races does get you out of synche with your training routines. I enjoy the races though so it is a trade off.

Barry-You seem to be incredibly dedicated to your goal and that dedication may very well drive you to your goal.

• dallasboycows Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    41. Jul 6, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to IAmBarry)

wow, all those pullups situps mountain climbers sounds like your getting ready for a tough mudder or warrior dash.  I need to do that kind of workout.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...