Skip navigation

955 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 5:54 AM by Keldeezey RSS
Keldeezey Rookie 5 posts since
Jul 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2011 7:07 AM

Looking for MCM 2011 Bib

Hi All,

Like many others, I am looking for a bib transfer for the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon.  I am new to the DC area and have heard great things about it.  I ran a in college, but this would be my first marathon. Please let me know if you are looking for someone to transfer you bib to.  If I can't get a bib, I was looking at a signing up for a charity team.  If there is anyone with experiance with a charity team I would love to hear you thoughts.

Thanks!

Kellie

• tiggerunner Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    1. Jul 8, 2011 8:21 AM (in response to Keldeezey)
    Re: Looking for MCM 2011 Bib

Check out some of the running clubs. Annapolis Striders has a set amount and if you become a member they will get you a bib. They also have training runs all set up for MCM.

• utdogs93 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    3. Jul 8, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to Keldeezey)

Hi Kellie,

I am also looking for a bib.  I'm sure both of us will eventually get one, but still wanted to encourage you in your first MCM.  You've probably picked the best one to run for a first-time marathon, since it is well-organized and you will have a big cheering crowd.  I've run each MCM since 2004, but I can tell you that your first will probably be one of the most memorable experiences in your life.  Good luck with the training.  Read through the message boards...you'll find lots of great tips.

James Anderson

• utdogs93 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    5. Jul 8, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to Keldeezey)

Hi Kellie,

Nope, this is the first time I've been compelled to do this.  Selling out the MCM entries in 28 hours, is sort of becomming like trying to get U2 concert tickets and having to camp out in line for them overnight.  A few years ago, they had a lottery to get a bib, and if you had previously run the MCM, you got an assurred slot.  That went away in about 2005, when they staggered the start into two groups (red and gold), separated by 15 minutes.  This allowed them to handle more runners, and from my perspective worked great.  I guess people got confused or something, so from about 2006 through last year, it was one massive chaotic start of all 24,000 runners at once.  So, for about the first 4 miles, it feel a bit like running through a cattle corral, but it thins a little once you run down Spout Run.

I can tell you that in the last couple of years, they seem to have about 30,000 bibs issued, but only about runners 24,000 seem to actually start the race.  It kind of drives us nuts, since we're trying hard to get a bib, yet we know that there will be tons of bibs unused for various reasons.

I think if you persevere, you'll probably be okay and get a bib, but in the mean time, this is not much fun...hang in there.

James

• BradAlive Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    6. Jul 12, 2011 5:06 AM (in response to Keldeezey)

I have a bib I'd like to transfer.

Give me your email and I'll get you the information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...