Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1489 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2011 2:28 PM by ShoeGoo RSS
ShoeGoo Amateur 20 posts since
May 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 7, 2011 1:07 PM

How would you pick a first race?

Very new runner, walk/runner I should say and I plan on signing up for my first race, likely in August or September.  I currently follow a walk/run schedule and do between 3-4 miles 3 times a week, every other day.

Are there better races for walk/runners to sign up for? What would I look for?  Or should  I base build through the rest of the year and race next year?

Started in mid May this year, no previous running background. How would you pick a first race?

Are there any I could do before that?

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    1. Jul 7, 2011 3:12 PM (in response to ShoeGoo)
    Re: How would you pick a first race?

Most 5ks that are for a charity are pretty walker friendly.  What I would do is look for some races around the time frame that you want and then do some investigating.  Just go to the active.com home page and click  "find events near you" and do a search for events.  Find some events you want to do and see if they fit your needs.  Your best bet is going to be a smaller, charity event for your first race so that you can get a feel for what it's like.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jul 7, 2011 10:33 PM (in response to ShoeGoo)

I assume from your current mileage that you're planning to do a 5K race. You should have an adequate base for that now.

Races that are labelled as "family friendly", "run/walk", "fun run" or similar terms tend to be especially friendly for new runners, especially if you will be run/walking.

Some other features to look for - you can ask at a local running store, gym or YMCA for recommendations if it isn't obvious from the race website or flyer:

• Flat or relatively flat course (not a lot of hills).
    • Preferably a loop course that starts and finishes in the same place.
    • Well organized - you want a race with a reputation for smooth registration and check-in, plenty of parking near start area, volunteers who know what they're doing, and well stocked water stations (if you usually drink during your training runs).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Jul 8, 2011 9:00 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

Re:" if getting any race experience is beneficial before you have really any base built" - That really depends on your race goals.

If you have an ambitious time goal (significantly faster than your typical training pace) or if the course is a relatively difficult one, then I'd recommend additional base building before heading into the race.

However, if your goal is to race at about your training pace (or perhaps a little faster) and have an overall positive experience, you should be ready now,  and certainly will be in a month or two.  You will get valuable real time experience - in particular how to run in a setting with a lot of other runners, and pacing yourself over the distance.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 8, 2011 9:58 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

I like races that are close to where I live and the charity they are for, Most races have people that walk and some walk and run. I started in the fall of last year so there are a lot of races around that time. Good Luck

• sharonlynnford Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    6. Jul 8, 2011 12:23 PM (in response to ShoeGoo)

any run close to home is enjoyable... i find that the course matters for me... i prefer something not overly hilly and something where there are drinks available... no matter which race you chose, it'll be a BLAST!  let us know how you enjoy it!

post in what region you live so that others can make specific suggestions!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points