Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3732 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 1:50 PM by ManikSona
valmarie1 Expert 44 posts since
Jan 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2011 12:22 PM

Horrible headaches after hot morning runs...HELP!

I'm definitely NOT dehydrated...I have trialed and errrored with water intake and it has made no difference.  In fact today I feel a bit worse than usual and I presume it's the fact that I overloaded on water and perhaps got myself into a major electroylte imbalance.  I am reading up all over and it all just seems so confusing!!  Anyone out there that really understands these issues and can help me think through them - please note - I am not looking for what worked for certain individuals.  I have tried everything over the years and still deal with this - I need someone that understands the mechanisms that can help me find a tailored solution.  Thanks!

Running in honor of those that can't....and with vision that one day my son will run alongside me.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 28, 2011 2:39 PM (in response to valmarie1)
    Re: Horrible headaches after hot morning runs...HELP!

Are these short runs (~5 miles) or long?  If short, hydration shouldn't be much of an issue anyway.  Do you perspire lightly, moderately, heavily?  Have you had your blood pressure checked?  High blood pressure could contribute and may make you perspire less as well.  (My wife had this problem, though not a runner.)  How relaxed are you when you run?  Clearly muscle tension can contribute and it may take the hotter weather to bring it out.  Do you wear a hat or bandana?  Hot sun directly on your head could also contribute.  You could try pouring water over your head every couple miles to see if that helps.

For longer runs, what do you take besides water - gels, blocks, salt tablets, etc?  Have you done before and after weighing to see how much you're losing through perspiration?  Weigh yourself naked before and immediately after your run,  Take the difference, then add in the weight of any fluid you drank - one ounce of fluid is one ounce of weight.  This gives you a good idea of your perspiration rate and fluid replacement needs.  It is very difficult during your run to replace all fluids lost, unless you perspire lightly.

You say you're not dehydrated.  How are you judging that?  Urine color usually works best (pale yellow/straw colored).  I've gone out on a long run well-hydrated (almost clear) and come back not so well hydated (dark yellow) in spite of drinking along the way.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas, things to consider.

Len

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    3. May 28, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to valmarie1)

Yeah, you want to avoid weighing all the moisture in those clothes.  Which is why they say to weigh yourself naked.  Hydration really shouldn't be that big an issue on a 6-miler even in hot weather.  But you don't get headaches after your evening runs.  So what is different between morning and evening?  I would think temperature and humidity would be similar, though humidity might be a little higher in the morning.  Humidity usually starts high, drops as the air heats, then rises again as the air cools in the evening.  Also pollen is usually a little worse in the morning because the air is still.  Do you eat before your morning runs?  How close to your morning runs do you hydrate, and how much?  (Maybe too much, as you suggested.)  Compare that to your late day runs, when you have probably been eating and drinking throughout the day.  Do you run immediately after you get up in the morning, or do you have time to move around and get your muscles loose?  Do you take any medication?  For instance, I have mild hay fever/allergies.  I take a 24-hour antihistamine right before bed at night, and I use flonase in the morning when I get up.  I know that the flonase sometimes gives me a mild headache, usually if I take it before bed.  What other differences are there?  With 3 kids, maybe you feel more pressure to get done in the morning.  Pressure and muscle tension cannot be discounted.

Hopefully comparing morning and evening can help you figure out what is going on.

Len

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    5. May 29, 2011 6:29 PM (in response to valmarie1)

I hope you get it worked out.  I sometimes get headaches, but we're talking 20-milers in 80 degree heat.  Never on a 6-mile run, and never as bad as yours.  I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

Len

Len

• civicmon Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011

Yeah, it's an electrolyte deficiency. I learned this not running, but sightseeing in Bangkok Thailand a couple of years ago. I was outdoors walking around and I kept drinking water and water and water. I later went to the hospital when I showed the definite signs of heat stroke. (as a side note, walking into the ER at a super nice hospital and five hours in a room was about $285. I did have travel insurance which reimbursed me).

Had I drank some gatorade (which I don't remember if it's marketed there or not) or even some OJ, I probably would have been fine. Then again, I always use my hospital story in Bangkok as an interesting conversation starter.

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    8. Aug 12, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to valmarie1)

I think you might be right on the electrolytes.  It's so important to keep a healthy balance of electrolyte and water intake.  There was an earlier post about water intoxication that you might want to check out.  The other thing is that I think you may need to have a little more food in your system before a run.  I know I do much better on my run and recovery wise when I eat something before a run.  I hope you figure it out, but definitely look into the electrolytes!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...