Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2192 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 4:02 AM by Paularun
Running Aficionado Pro 188 posts since
Jun 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2011 5:15 PM

What are you struggling with?

As a runner, I'm struggling in increasing my running distance and speed. How about you? What are you struggling with?

http://runningandmarathon.com

Marathon Running

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    1. Jul 11, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)
    Re: What are you struggling with?

Hello RA:  I am struggling with weight, with flexibility, with speed, upper body strength, lower body strength, discipline, and all of the mental issues when you try to take on a new life changing habit.     

With all that said, I decided tonight to pursue speed work and ran repeater time sprints.   30 seconds as fast as I could - shooting for 1 minute of sustained hard running.  I was able to only run max 40 seconds and rested between repeaters anywhere from 15 seconds to 1 minute.   I did this 6x.   

Then I came home and did cheater pushups against a door, 2 sets of 20 and semi-cheater squats using the door jam 2 sets of 20.  I walked today versus run due to being almost sick from running over the weekend in the heat (at 8:30 a.m.).   I walked several times today totalling about 90 minutes.     I am struggling, but trying to attack and am not struggling to the point of stopping.    I am going to really keep track of this day by day and see where I am next Monday as far as improvement, any small increase.     I hope to do the repeater sprints 3 days in this week, the 6x of fast running for 30 seconds with the 30 second rest.   There you have it - my struggle in far too many words....

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• LawLush Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    2. Jul 11, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)

Distance.  And started having knee pain.  I think I need new running shoes.  That is my reward for making it through C25K.

I get worn out quickly and my legs get tired.

• jahluv Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    3. Jul 11, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to LawLush)
    Slow pace, knee pain and numbing in my right leg. I attempted to take longer strides, but my muscles feel tired and I'm unable to continue.  I have a hard time running uphill because my leg muscles tire easily and I fall behind the running group.   I thought about taking a nutrition class to see if it's my diet, but I haven't done so yet.  I also thought of having my knees checked out, but I also haven't done so yet.  My next thought is that I need some really good running shoes.  I enjoy running, especially when I've accomplished my goal for the day, showered, and have time to fully relax.  It's such a rewarding feeling when you've completed a worthwhile run.
  • WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    4. Jul 12, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to Running Aficionado)

Overheating and dehydration.  Last year I ran outside, usually in the morning when it was cool (under 70 degrees).  The wind resistance from running was enough to keep cool.  This year due to a move and scheduling changes most runs are on a treadmill.  Running in place in dead air turns a normally "uncomfortably comfortable" run into a downright miserable one.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• Allie Baba Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    5. Jul 12, 2011 12:41 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)

I am struggling with being able to run a whole race. I generally have to slow down to a fast walk from time to time. I am doing this less and less though. I started the c25k in January and now I am doing a summer series where I am running a 5k every week. After running a 10k, I decided to do the Diva half marathon which is in October. I started training for that last week....Hope I can complete my training without too much of a struggle.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jul 13, 2011 5:25 PM (in response to Allie Baba)

I try to get out first thing in the morning if not then its the treadmill. This will all change once the kids are back in school.

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    7. Jul 14, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)

Seems like speed is the thing I'm struggling with lately, going really slow. I'm working on distance/endurance but that seems to kind of come naturally and incrementally. Like jahluv I also struggle sometimes with my legs and feet just feeling heavy and getting sort of sore, not enough that I'm changing my stride, but enough that it prevents me from going faster and makes me want to stop sooner. Oh and my left foot keeps falling asleep lately. Not sure if I'm not stretching well enough, need new shoes, or what. It'll only happen the last 3-4 minutes of my 25 minute runs but still frustrating.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    8. Jul 14, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)

I have issues with losing steam.  I am able to force myself to complete whatever run I am supposed to do, but sometimes it takes EVERYTHING I have!  I need to look at nutrition and hydration as a possible fix.  The problem is that I am running over 1 hour now and really need to figure this out if I want to successfully increase my distance.

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

• Emcee2 Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    9. Jul 14, 2011 7:30 PM (in response to Running Aficionado)

Mainly self discipline.  I find myself a bit bored when I run and hyper conscious of slapping my feet into the ground and all the body jarring and methodical breathing.  I start having the thought... hmmm... what if I just stopped with the running motions and had a nice walk instead?  That's a bit ridiculously my biggest challenge.

• Nursey318 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    10. Jul 20, 2011 1:57 AM (in response to Running Aficionado)

Heat and humidity seem to be my enemies! With temps getting to be well over 100 degrees by 10am and humidity greater than 50% most days, running outside is getting to be kind of miserable! The heat seems to make you tire faster (especialy with no breeze) and the humidity makes it harder to breath. I try to get out early (by 8), but if that doesn't happen, my day is shot for running. I guess this means I'm going to have to break down and get a gym membership.

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them- every day a task anew."

-St. Francis DeSales

• Paularun Pro 92 posts since
    Jul 9, 2011
    11. Jul 20, 2011 4:02 AM (in response to Nursey318)

my heart rate: I should not elevate it above 155, because then my blood pressure rises in unhealthy hights.

I would love to run faster but I can't with a 155-pulse.

If I would run as fast as other runners, my heart rate would be around 160/165.

I would love to get my heart rate DOWN so I could run freely and not hold myself back all the time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points