Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1753 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 5:09 AM by Joseph Tree RSS
Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
Dec 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2011 6:38 AM

Traveling for a Race

I turn 30 next year and to commemorate this milestone in my life, I wanted to do something special.  So, I'm running 3 half marathons (not including my first in Baltimore this Fall) in celebration of each decade of my life between January 2012 and May 2012 (my birth month!).

So first up - Disney Princess Half Marathon (Feb 2012) I thought, what better way to celebrate years 0-10!?

Next - 13.1 New York! for those crazy teenage years.

And lastly, Maryland Half Marathon (GO TERPS!)...and it's my home state

So, for the first one, I have some questions regarding traveling, preparing, etc for a race away from "home".  What are some good pointers for traveling? How early should I get there? Should I stay close to the start line (if that's possible)? Should I do a short training run once I'm there? Food? How do you eat without upsetting your routine? Should I get a hotel with a kitchenette so I can prepare my own oatmeal or pre-race meal? Never did this before. Just wanted to give it some thought early on.

Thanks!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Jul 11, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to Dreamstate)
    Re: Traveling for a Race

Hi DS,

In my experience, the biggest issue is giving yourself time at every step.  Agonizing about being lost or late for a start absolutely sucks!

Travel far enough ahead to allow for the most likely delays.  Stay close enough to the race site that you'll have no stress both finding packet pickup and starting location.  A real luxury for me was to actually get out and see the course.  Morning of the race, again, give yourself LOTS of time to get there, stretch and hit the can if you need to.

You should have no trouble finding a way to fix your oatmeal and such.  Most hotels have in-room coffee sets to heat water or complimentary simple breakfasts that probably include tea (for hot water) or even oatmeal itself.

Good for you to celebrate a big decade turn.  An old running mate of mine back in the 80's ran 50 Marathons in honor of his 50th.  His name was (is?) Bob Fletcher, from Houston, and he even wrote a book about his experiences called Spaghetti Every Friday.  I think he did it in '84 or '85.

Have fun!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    3. Jul 11, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

I've traveled twice for races.  The last one I did I stayed RIGHT AT the start line.  It was perfect, easy, no stress.  It was an hour ahead there (time zone), so I didn't have to worry about altering my sleep schedule.  So, yeah I would suggest staying as close to the start line as possible! 

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. Jul 11, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

Dreamstate wrote:

I turn 30 next year and to commemorate this milestone in my life, I wanted to do something special.  So, I'm running 3 half marathons (not including my first in Baltimore this Fall) in celebration of each decade of my life between January 2012 and May 2012 (my birth month!).

So first up - Disney Princess Half Marathon (Feb 2012) I thought, what better way to celebrate years 0-10!?

Next - 13.1 New York! for those crazy teenage years.

And lastly, Maryland Half Marathon (GO TERPS!)...and it's my home state

So, for the first one, I have some questions regarding traveling, preparing, etc for a race away from "home".  What are some good pointers for traveling? How early should I get there? Should I stay close to the start line (if that's possible)? Should I do a short training run once I'm there? Food? How do you eat without upsetting your routine? Should I get a hotel with a kitchenette so I can prepare my own oatmeal or pre-race meal? Never did this before. Just wanted to give it some thought early on.

Thanks!

Having not run any of these particular races I am going to guess that they are bigger races. I find that bigger races require me to get to the starting area/registration 1.5 hours ahead of time. More people, more stress, need more time.

Where you stay has to be a measure of cost/benefit. Typically the closer you stay to the start line the more expensive the hotel. I suggest that you do your homework on the price of the hotels and what they offer -- go ahead and make your decision.

I wouldn't alter what you eat at all -- whatever you eat before your long runs, and the timing of the meal -- let that be what you do before the race.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jul 12, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

I can give you some specific advice for the first one.  Stay at a Disney hotel ("resort").  Advantages - Disney provides all your transportation, including "Magical Express" bus from and to the airport, regular bus service within Disney, to and from packet pickup and start/finish, and the hotels usually have a special early breakfast setup for the runners.  Pop Century is cheaper, a "value" resort, about $100 per night.  Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Caribbean Beach are "moderate" resorts, about $180-$200, and have a few more amenities.  You can't really stay near the start/finish.  French Quarter is probably closest, assuming they keep the s/f at EPCOT.  It's also smaller and easier to find your way around.  (Disney hotels are BIG, usually several buildings with guest rooms surrounding a central building for checkin, dining, etc.)  If you stay on-site, pay attention to the times they give you for being at the bus stop, etc. for the race.  The hotels all have a food court with a good variety of breakfast foods (not especially cheap though).  Should you do a pre-race training run?  It depends on how early you get there and what your usual pre-race routine is.

Len

Len

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    6. Jul 12, 2011 9:12 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

Pack for all kinds of weather.  Last year, my friends were doing the Goofy Challenge and it was drizzling freezing rain yet they had their warmer weather gear.

If you fly, put your necessities for the race - especially your shoes - in your carryon luggage.  You can buy other clothes at the expo but you need your shoes.

Many hotels near a race will put out a spread and start breakfast earlier to accommodate the runners.

If the start line is different from the finish line - I prefer to stay near the finish.  I will have enough energy to get to the start and a walk is a good warmup - but it's nice to get back your room quickly to get cleaned up without walking a far distance.

Depending when you get there, I'd do a short run if you would normally run at home in the same time period.

Set an alarm along with getting a wakeup call.  If using the hotel alarm clock, check it out before actually using it.

Don't spend all day walking around a huge expo.  It's amazing how tired that can make you - especially after travelling.

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Jul 13, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

Go to http://disneyworld.disney.go.com  Look particularly at "Places to Stay".  There is a ton of information on their web site.  Booking through a good travel agent like AAA can save some money but looking at their site first gives you a good idea of what's up.  (Yeah, we're doing a Disney World vacation this Fall, so I've been going through all this stuff.)  If you're making a vacation of it, you could also look at a book like Birnbaums' Official Guide to Walt Disney World.

Len

Len

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    10. Jul 14, 2011 5:09 AM (in response to Dreamstate)

What a great community!  Full of helpful info and support.  I'm glad to be a part of the effort.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...