Skip navigation

625 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 11:08 AM by BOSNPM RSS
LAinChicago Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2011 8:33 AM

Chicago Runners

Hello fellow marathoners! I live in Chicago and am training for MCM - anyone want to meet up on Saturday mornings for long runs? I find I'm a bit more motivated to crawl out of bed if I know someone is waiting for me.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 13, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to LAinChicago)
    Re: Chicago Runners

There are about ten thousand Marines in uniform waiting for you on 30th October. How's THAT for motivation?

Every time I'm about to crap out on a run and nothing but nothing will keep me moving forward--not picturing a baby bamboo lemur from Staving Off Decrepitude, or remembering her saying "for the next 200 yards, I want you to think about asscancer", not the thought of Team Hoyt, not our Ruby, not the thought of Jimmy running from Philly to the MCM one year, not the actual physical presence of  39_and_holding running backwards and taunting me (which has happened) not even a text from MikeDaMarine08 saying "just get it done woman" or the promise of a t-shirt that says "Nita will kick my *** in every race I run until the day I drop dead trying"--when I'm about to say f#% it and crawl back onto my couch......a little voice chimes up in the back of my heat-addled, glycogen-depleted brain:

"What it were October and there were Marines watching you, wuss?"

Yeah. But seriously. Training alone is HARD. I do most of mine alone, because few people are as slow as me. Right now I'm really missing my dad, who trained with me on shorter runs (less than six miles) last summer when it was eleventy billion degrees out. He's away, and I've moved, but I'm trying to pin him down for a meet-me-halfway run date when he gets back. Because you're right. It's the getting out of bed part that sucks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 13, 2011 11:08 AM (in response to thefirecat)
    Re: Chicago Runners

Sign me up, all most forgot I am signed up.  I train with group and my daughter and that helps a lot.  Good luck finding a running group, should be plenty in Chicago.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points