Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59666 Views 373 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2011 3:25 PM by ohioraceday RSS Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next
  • CAMcGee Pro 88 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    360. Jun 6, 2011 7:13 PM (in response to ChecksB)
    Re: My first competitive 10km

ChecksB - you look so good! I'm still a chunk but I'm getting there.

I'm not even planning on being competitive. I just want to do it, get the t-shirt and a sticker. I don't know how easy it will be for me as I have to block people out when I'm pulling hard. Can't talk or even pay attention to them and there were 30,000 runners last year.  But the course is pretty flat.

The last couple of runs - 5K and then 3.25 miles were not to bad even with a bit of hills. I think I'm mending fine. I'm so glad to get back out there. sometimes I've felt like I make a few miles of progress and then I get sidelined.

• ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    361. Jun 13, 2011 3:22 PM (in response to CAMcGee)
    races

checksb-camcgee,

I merged your names. 

Alright!  Camcgee is signed up for a race finally!  And it's a half marathon!!  woot!  She's nuts!  Which one is it?  Can you tell us?  Let us know which 5k you choose also.  Then if you share that ... I'll tell you about a race in Texas that I'm signed up for.  (no kidding)

Checks, your story is great.  A time of 56:21 is awesome.  Think of it ... you just ran two 5k races under 29 minutes each ... back to back.  That's not an easy thing to do.  Way to go.  I loved the photos.  You smile when you run.  I'm always serious looking in my pics.  ha!

This last weekend was fun over here.  I helped our runners club organize a 5k race.  It was to benefit a local public garden estate.  See the link:

http://www.kingwoodcenter.org/index.html

We had 239 runners and food and music and prizes.  I enjoyed it so much that I may volunteer for more local races.

I need to go.  I don't have much time.  Just checking in quickly and saw your posts.

later,

Mike

May 13, 2010
    362. Jun 13, 2011 4:42 PM (in response to ohioraceday)
    Re: races

Yup - it's the San Antonio Rock-N-Roll Marathon. My hubby is running along with me. He told me he's inspired by my progress and determination and started running too. I'm inspired by him since he broke his back about 9 years ago was walking with a cane. He finally found a physical therapy routine that helps him and he's out there running like a bad man. I keep telling him to slow down and let his body reajust. He's starting to.

I don't think the 13.1 will really be that tough. I did 8 miles the day after I hurt my knee - before I realized I was as hurt as I was - and it wasn't that bad. But it was cool, like 28 degrees - man the weather is murder here now. 101 today. I run really early and it's still in the upper 70s and muggy - but I'm going anyway.

So --- what race in TX are you doing?

May 8, 2010
    363. Jun 14, 2011 4:34 AM (in response to CAMcGee)
    Re: races

camcgee,

I'm excited about your "half" in San Antonio.  Alright!  You've inspired your husband, too.  That's terrific.  My wife has also started to run in the last few months and participated in that 5k we held here last weekend.

Here is my race::

http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/

gulp.  I'm pretty anxious about it, even this far out from the race.  The longest I've ever run is ~ 14.5miles and it was very difficult.  So, I've put together a training plan for my pre-training.  LOL.

I'll let you guys know how it's going.  This weekend it's 14 miles for my long slow day.  I backed off the mileage after the half in Columbus last month and have started to climb back up now.  It sure would be nice to have run the full distance once in training before heading to Houston.  I chose that race because my wife wanted to make it a special fitness kind of vacation at a cool destination.  We'd been there once when I was in the military and enjoyed it.  Also the US Olympic Marathon trials are the day before.  All the big names (Ryan Hall, Meb Keflevski??, Shalane Flanagan, Desiree Davila, Kara Goucher) will all be there.  So that will be a bonus.

later,

Mike

May 8, 2010
    364. Jun 15, 2011 7:30 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    photos of 5k

Here's a link to the photos of the 5k that I helped organize.  And fun was had by all ...

LOL!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.208684259167842.47678.111714172198185

May 8, 2010
    365. Jul 10, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    Re: photos of 5k

Did this thread fall off the edge of the earth?  I don't see it in my bookmarks any longer.  In fact, I have no bookmarks! 

(runs in circles screaming)

• ChecksB Pro 66 posts since
    May 17, 2010
    366. Jul 12, 2011 5:21 AM (in response to ohioraceday)

Hiya

Sorry, been away camping with the boys... How's the training going?

I haven't been running since last Wednesday, but I ran 11km twice last week, so not feeling too bad.  I was going to go out and do a little 5km this morning, but it has not stopped pelting with rain since 6:30am...and it's still going at 2:20pm!

Hope you are both having a warmer Summer than I am!

xx

May 13, 2010
    367. Jul 12, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to ChecksB)

Hey y'all, I'm still here and still puttering along.

Mike - awesome shots of the race. Nope I still haven't done one. Mostly because it's summer here and these races start at like 8 am - by 8 it is already close to 90 if not above and I've been done with my run for a couple of hours.

I'm up to 6 miles again for my long run and was able to make my last mile the fastest. I'm still not speedy by any definition, but I am speeding up. I've picked up about a minute in the last couple of weeks just because I'm feeling a bit better on the knees and the therapy is going really well.

Checks - what I wouldn't give for some of that rain! I'd gladly trade you a few degrees for  a few inches of rain.

Anyway - I'm feeling like any gains in this weather are great strides and I'm pressing on toward my 1/2 Marathon in November.

Praying for you both in your efforts too.

May 8, 2010
    368. Jul 13, 2011 6:20 AM (in response to CAMcGee)

Nice job, you two.  Camcgee ... will you run the whole distance (13.1) in your training before the race?  If not, what are you shooting for?  Also, do you do any cross train stuff on the off days?  Checks ... do you have another race on the schedule?  If so, can you send the link so we can see it?   Just curious. 

My next race will be a local 10k.

http://www.crossroadswired.com/get-connected/crossroads-run-for-hope-5-k/

My running buddy is on the race committee and says we are getting a nice tech shirt for early sign up!  cool.

Then, I'm thinking about a trail race.  I helped out with the Xterra Series this weekend at a nearby state park.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.233227136699240.57996.100000358663383

Here's the race I'm contemplating:

http://www.xterraohio.com/northern-ohio-series/oakhill

Regarding the weather in Ohio.  hooboy. It's been warm and muggy.  Over 80F degrees and high humidity.  But mornings and evenings are bareable for running and biking purposes.  You just don't dry off, 'though.  The high humidity keeps the sweat from evaporating.  I'm soaking wet after every run!  TMI.

May 13, 2010
    369. Jul 15, 2011 2:57 AM (in response to ohioraceday)

I plan on doing the whole distance a few times before the race - I'd like to get to 15 miles before then. I'm not just training for this 1/2, but toward next year's full and still trying to find that balance where I start dropping weight. I'm increasing slowly though and based on how well I do that wee's runs.

I really don't have an upper limit to my distance. I will just keep going until I have no more time on the day or I can't go any farther physically. I'm really curious to see just how far that might be.

May 8, 2010
    370. Jul 17, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to CAMcGee)
    physically possible

camcgee,

That's awesome.  I'm also curious as to what is physically possible.  My long, longest (LOL) so far has been an 18 mile day (29K for checksb).  Not all at once, mind you.  It was 11 miles then a one hour break then 7 miles.  It was tough here in the Ohio hills and humidity but not the top end of what's possible.

For you, I'd recommend a 5k race before your half.  Really.  There is something about race day preparation and the event itself that you can't replicate in training.  It's a logistical thing that you don't want to be figuring out on a half marathon.  There's a lot of confusion to quash and adrenaline to tame and fear associated with racing that you don't get on an ordinary long run day.  (just my meager 2 cents)

Good luck, woman.

Mike

btw.  You know there is a "full" in Houston in January, right?? 

• ChecksB Pro 66 posts since
    May 17, 2010
    371. Jul 17, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    Re: physically possible

Hello you two.  I understand miles Mike, don't worry (I am English after all)... but they work in km here in France, so I use them for running, mainly.

I think you are both amazing (and slightly bonkers) running these distances. I have yet to run further than 10 miles in one go and can't imagine doing anything farther any time soon.  This week I have only run 7.5km (4.66miles) and 8.67km (5.38miles).  It has been raining (again) for the past 48 hours so I haven't been out.  I shall go again tomorrow, come rain or shine.

I plan to enter another 10km race in December, but I think it is just around a track, which will be very boring, although completely flat which I am not used to!  I have no plans to EVER run a marathon, and probably wouldn't manage a half either. 

I wish you both lots of luck in your forthcoming races and look forward, as always, to the results.

x

May 8, 2010
    372. Jul 24, 2011 7:26 AM (in response to ChecksB)
    Re: half

checks,

You could manage a half.  I'm certain of that.  If you got your training back up to 10 miles then the other 3.1 miles, on race day, would be within reach and you would will yourself across the finish line.  You've already shown more will power & determination than so many others.  Think of all the people that don't start an exercise regimen.  Then think of those that start and quit (this message board included).  You are not one of them.

stay dry,

Mike

(edit)

So many people start and then stop because running is hard.  We were talking about that today on our group run.  It reminded me of the comment above.

May 8, 2010
    373. Aug 14, 2011 3:25 PM (in response to ohioraceday)
    where I run (sometimes)

Photos of a few places that I run:

linky

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...