Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2183 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 8:00 PM by girlintheorchard RSS
Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
Jun 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2011 7:42 AM

10K Training for C25K Graduate

Hi.  I will be finishing up C25K in just under 2 weeks - I did W8D1 today and ran 2.8 miles fairly comfortably.  Before Memorial Day I had never run a day in my life unless I was in danger of missing the train.    Although I'm not scheduled to run my first 5K race until September,  I want to move on to a 10K training program after "graduation" to keep me motivated and am looking for recommendations on a good program.  I'm not in any hurry to run a 10K (I'd like to run several 5K's first) so length of program doesn't matter  - I just like structure.   Any suggestions?  Thanks!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    1. Jul 19, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to Debm2011)
    Re: 10K Training for C25K Graduate

Deb~Congratulations on your success with C25K!  I started the program in January at age 53, and thanks to it, I completed a handful of 5ks and my first 10k two weeks ago.  I trained using the Hal Higdon 10k novice program, and it prepared me well for the race.  The schedule of running 3 days a week, cross training and rest days worked with my schedule and my preference for a structured program, also.  The long runs occur on weekends,(you can tailor this to your needs) and the increase of .5 mile each week was attainable.  The training included strength & cross training days, I felt the weight work made a huge difference in increasing endurance with the side benefit of toning muscles.  You can print out the program, or sign up for daily updates for a $9.95.  I opted to use the update option for encouragement and the daily kick-out-the-door!  I will begin novice half marathon training program through Hal Higdon in 2 weeks, and hopefully it will provide great as well.  Best wishes with whatever training you choose, and run strong as you complete C25K and your first 5k race in Sept.!  Please, let us know how it went for you.

http://http://www.halhigdon.com

• Lesley25 Pro 59 posts since
    May 15, 2011
    2. Jul 19, 2011 8:41 AM (in response to girlintheorchard)

Hi - I also am just finishing C25K and would like a good programme to continue with up to 10k. Have had great support on this site and loads of good advise! Will look at the Hal Higdon plan and another recommended to me is Jeff Galloway, so will look at both.  I started C25K middle of May and can't believe how far I have come, from no running since school days (I also am 53!) and now I am running 3 miles in under 31mins! I never thought I would enjoy running so have surprised myself. I think it is the personal challenge that spurs me on and now that I can do 5k, I want to go further!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    6. Jul 20, 2011 8:00 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb~I really want to run a HM with my 24 yr. old next May.  Both my sons ( ages 24 & 12)  have been my 'coaches' through this jouney.  I used to be the one yelling "You can do this!"  during cross country events, but now I hear their voices echoing the encouragement just when I need it.  I love that the tables have turned in this way.

Lesley~Fantastic time for your 3 mile run!  Isn't it amazing when you recall what you were experiencing those first weeks of C25K?  You did it, be proud of all you have accomplished.  I don't know about you, but at 54, I have never felt healthier in my life!

Run strong, friends!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points