Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1269 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2011 10:56 PM by Fay Yee Yee RSS
Fay Yee Yee Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2011 11:34 PM

Knee injury, Please help ASAP!

Hello everyone. My right knee is hurting and I need a quicker recovery tips then not to run for a week.  The pain is inside the knee and when I increase the treadmill speed; thats when it start.  I would  walk, jog, and run for 30 mins to warm up my body.  I was wondering should I try the kinesiology tape?  Please help.

• Damien Howell Legend 307 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Jul 20, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to Fay Yee Yee)
    Re: Knee injury, Please help ASAP!

Take a look at short artilce Knee Pain: Treatment Based on Individual Evidence.  It discusses thought process on selecting particular treatment intervention i.e. tape.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Jul 25, 2011 5:29 PM (in response to Fay Yee Yee)
    Re: Knee injury, Please help ASAP!

I assume by "kinesiology tape" you are referring to "Kinesio Tape,"  which is a product originally developed by Japanese chiropractor Kenzo  Kase nearly 30 years ago. It is different from traditional athletic tape  in that it is intentionally elastic, and very different from "ace"  bandages in that it is backed by adhesive and designed to support and  mobilize the skin while the wearer is moving, especially during athletic  activity.

Kinesio tape was designed to help prevent  and assist recovery from injuries that benefit from increased lymphatic  flow around the injury site. The lymphatic system is an important  conduit of immune system activity, which can be critical to the  maintenance and repair of damaged tissue. Since most of the lymphatic  system is right underneath the skin, the simple application of this kind  of tape helps to circulate lymph by resisting or enhancing the movement  of the outer layer of skin over the underlying tissues.

The  following link is courtesy of Kinesio competitor "KT Tape," and details  the application of this type of tape by a physical therapist on an  athlete/model to address hypothetical medial knee pain...

I've  had this kind of tape (Kinesio brand) applied to my own injury before,  and can vouch for its effectiveness. You can find it at sports or  medical supply outlets, or online. The video uses probably far less than  a dollar's worth, and each application can last a few days through  showers, since the tape is waterproof. Pre-cut lengths of tape cost more per foot than cutting your own from a roll.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...