Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1381 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 4:37 AM by Damien Howell RSS
michelelash Amateur 10 posts since
Aug 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2011 2:18 PM

shoe recommendations for achilles tendon

I've been having achilles tendon problems.  I usually run on the street and it started the day after I ran just three miles on a track.  I've been stretching my calves and it seems to be making some minor improvements, but I think my shoes are part of the problem.  I think they rub on it and make it worse.  I just went on a leisurely bike ride with my son and wore my running shoes and my tendon hurt.  When I ride my 'real' bike with my clipless shoes, I don't have any problem.

I currently have Brooks Glycerin. I used to have Brooks Radius, but they don't make them anymore.  Anybody with this problem who can recommend a shoe that won't rub?

I have a normal arch and normal gait.  I do slightly under-pronate and run on the outside of my foot, but I've been working on that.  I think I'll need something with a slight cusion, but no stability control.

Thanks,

Michele

• Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
    Nov 14, 2010
    1. Jul 20, 2011 6:31 PM (in response to michelelash)
    Re: shoe recommendations for achilles tendon

Michele;

I am no doctor, but I had achilles problems for 15+ years.  I went to a pediatrist one time and in about 3 minutes flat he had me diagnosed and fitted me for a heal lift.

I thought, "This guy is a Quack and never went back."  So I suffered with Achilles Tendon problems.  Still, I ran, played baseball, football, golf everything, but I was always in pain.

One day a buddy of mine, a plumber said, "Go to the drug store and buy a Dr. Scholls Lift for your heal."  So I did.. Guess what, it fixed me.. I have not had any achilles issues in 5+ years.

Moral of the story?  Listen to your Plumber.

True story.

Anyhoot... I went and fitted for new shoes at a local runners shop.  The owner asked me why I was only wearing one lift.  I told him the story.  He said, "Okay.. but if you are going to wear one in the left, you should get one for the right shoe too.  He indicated that the uneven-ness could cause problems."  So, now I wear them in bith shoes.

That is my 2 pennies... You may ant to go see a pediatrist and not take my word for it... It is just my experience.

Edit:  HMMM.. I wonder if I miss read your Achilles Tendon issue.  I thought it was sore from being strained, not from being rubbed against your shoe.  If so, My bad:(

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 20, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to michelelash)

If you really think that rubbing is part of the problem, try cutting off the tab that sticks up at the back of the heel.  Just don't cut down into the heel counter (a piece of plastic that wraps around the heel).  I've done this on some of my shoes in the past when I had the feeling they were rubbing on the achilles.

Len

Len

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    3. Jul 21, 2011 4:37 AM (in response to michelelash)

Take a look at this short article Achillies Tendonitis/Tendonopathy: Too Little Too Much.  Often Achillies are abnormally stretched if shoes are too long or too soft.  Double check to make sure you are in the correct size shoe.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...