Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21291 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 2:03 PM by JRRunsSlow Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Dec 12, 2009 5:30 AM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Listen to Music While Running?

I never listen to music when I run. I'm comfortable with my own thoughts. I do like scaring the heck out of Ipod wearers though. I have yet to come up behind some one wearing one that is even the slightest aware of their surroundings. They always jump when I go around them. Always. You need to keep your wits about you.One young lady spun 180 degrees in the air with a look of pure terror when I told her I was "on your left". Great fun!

• runningawaymama Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    61. Dec 29, 2009 9:10 PM (in response to jeff19)

I find that if I'm running outside, I actually do better without the music.  If I'm on the treadmill, music is a must, as I hate the treadmill and it makes it a bit more bearable.

• AshAlex Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    62. Feb 22, 2010 3:50 PM (in response to jeff19)

I just started running a few weeks ago. Ive been doing the C25k, so I have to listen to my ipod to hear when to walk and when to run. However, I used to walk every single day and I HAD to have music or I got bored.

• AshAlex Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    63. Feb 22, 2010 3:51 PM (in response to AshAlex)

Oh, but now I live in an apartment and I'd be afraid to run around the "community" with headphones (or without) for fear of getting run over or something. Theres no sidewalk and cars fly through the parking lot like its a highway.

• bloodhound22 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 21, 2011
    64. Jan 24, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to jeff19)

Music and running is a very big topic. I run in college and what I do when i go for 15 mile runs i put some music on to not get so bored, but if i am doing a work out or doing a run that needs to have a certain pace i will never put music on. NCAA races dont allow you to use music so I would rather train in the same conditions as my race. So i think music helps me get through really long runs but it does influence the pace.

Matthew J. Arpino

• hm2005 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2011
    65. Jan 29, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to jeff19)

Listening to music is a MUST for me while running, not jogging, indoors or outdoors. For anyone who is scared to get hit by car, there is no need to have the music blasting through your headphones. I run with music and manage to still pay attention to cars. I also find running and chewing gum to help, as well. It keeps me from getting thirsty or tired for a while.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    66. Jan 31, 2011 5:03 PM (in response to jeff19)

I will run with music, and without it.  But, you can get very dependent on an MP3 player for your runs, and get into deep trouble when you sign up for a race that bans them.  They can be a huge distraction from traffic, passing runners/bikers, etc., but that's also the beauty of running with music.  You can drown out the whole world.  I'm not so much listening to the music, as using it as white noise.  I get lost inside my head, thinking through all of the problems that have been weighing heavy on me.  And, the not so heavy stuff, like what I'm going to cook for dinner, wear on that date tomorrow night, or what I'm going to get my grandmother for her birthday next month....Music is a way to lose yourself in your run, and forget about the hard work your body is doing, or how many miles you have left.  This is why I love running with music if I'm going on a solo run, and get kind of sad if I realize my ipod battery is dead as I'm walking out the door.  However, if I'm running with others, or in an area where I need to be aware of my suuroundings (a new park, or a wilderness area where I may run into creatures, or a sketchy part of town), I will leave the earbuds at home, and just enjoy the sounds of nature, traffic, life :-)

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    67. Mar 14, 2011 7:22 PM (in response to ColoCorredor)

I do on occasion.

• KennyP_USMC Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    68. Mar 14, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to jeff19)

If I can listen to music, I am all for it.  Normally when I am on my own I am running to heavy metal or hard rock...the tempos help change up the pace.  Plus it helps me clear my head, however I still remain vigilant to my surroundings, especially when I am running on the streets.  Now on the other hand, when I am pt'ing my Marines or running with my peers, headphones are a NO-GO on base.  But that is where good ole Marine Corps Cadence comes into play.  If the Marine calling cadence can sing a good tune it motivates us all.  Cadence forces you to breath and pace your breathing plus keep everyone in step so you are not tripping over the feet in front of you.

Semper Fi!

KennyP_USMC

KennyP_USMC.jpg

Completed Races:

Marine Corps Physical Training - For the last 15 years all over the globe.  "In Every Climb and Place"

Marine Corps Half Marathon - Camp LeJeune, NC - 9/25/10 - 2:18:50

Beirut Memorial 10k - Camp Johnson, NC - 10/9/10 - 53:57

Oktoberfest 5k - Jacksonville, NC - 10/23/10 - 22:59

Midnight Run for Ovarian Cancer 5k - Wilmington, NC - 10/29/10 - 23:00

Upcoming Races:

Swansboro Rotary Tideland News Great Mullet Run - Swansboro, NC - 11/13/10

Marine Corps Half Marathon - Fredericksburg, VA - 5/??/11

Marine Corps Marathon - Washington DC - 10/??/11  (decided I am gonna do this come hell or high water...that is if I am not deployed!!)

• Willrunforwhiksey Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    69. Apr 15, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to jeff19)

I had been listenting to music while I ran for a long time, I recently started to run without it and I feel more in control of my pace and breathing -  and being more aware of the surroundings seems to make for a more comfortable run. I would reccomend trying without music and trying with music and deciding which is best for you.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    70. Jun 29, 2011 11:00 AM (in response to TweetyPie)

I have the same problem as TweetyPie with small ears.  The apple ear buds do not fit in my ears.  I usually end up buying the kind with the little plastic caps that come with an assortment of sizes so I can pick the right size.

• Monkey In The Middle Amateur 22 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    71. Jul 22, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to jeff19)

I've always had the fear of not hearing a car backing out of a driveway while listening to music while I'm running so I have "around the ear" headphones that rest perfectly on my shoulders so I can still hear my music and everything else around me.

headphones.jpg

Unfortunately I'm one of those that has to listen to music while I run.  It's my biggest motivator.

Looking forward to this: http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/sandiego/

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    72. Jul 22, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to Monkey In The Middle)

Monkey in the Middle,

Have you already registered for the Hollywood Half?  If so, I'll see you there!  There's also a brand new Rock N' Roll Half in Pasadena that I'm running too; it's in February.  Happy training!

...I can't run with music, for some reason; I find my pace changes with each song change, so it ends up being one more thing I have to concentrate on.  I wish I could, because music motivates me during almost any other activity!

• Monkey In The Middle Amateur 22 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    73. Jul 22, 2011 4:32 PM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss I did sign up already.    I couldn't resist that summer discount they offered and I've always wanted to run through Hollywood.  I know the L.A. Marathon goes through there but I am far from running a marathon.

I missed the discount for the Pasadena RnR otherwise I would've signed up for that one instead.  I can only handle one 1/2 a year. LOL!  You rock!!!  Good luck!

Looking forward to this: http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/sandiego/

• Ghost Reaper Expert 41 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    74. Aug 1, 2011 8:42 AM (in response to jeff19)

I need three things when I run:    Music, Water and Gum.   I also have the luck of needing an inhaler when my allergies kick in causing ashtma conditions.

I have ran without music before and it's do able, but I trained wearing ear buds and I am just to use to it.  When I can strap on my running shoes and blast Rage Against the Machine in my head for 30 minutes it makes life a little similar.

My Journey:

2/15/2011 My journey started at 270l lbs and the with little to no desire to ever run.

4/16/2011 Down over 15 lbs, one 5k under my belt and another coming fast. Maybe this running thing is for me.

4/23/2011 COMPLETED COUCH TO 5K -- By Fall I hope to run a 10K

5/05/2011 Down over 20 lbs. Come on baby keep on falling off.

7/14/2011 Started my 10K training

8/26/2011 Running 5mi and going strong to my 10K race.

9/8/2011 New 5K PR 00:30.45 Current 10K PR 1:07.19

9/15/2011 GRADUATE OF HAL HIGDON 10-K NOVICE TRAINING

9/26/2011 NEW 10K PR 0:58.48

Completed Races/Events:

Scheels Run for Home 5K - April 3rd, 2011 -- 37min 56 sec (12:13 pace) Sleet, Snow, Rain and towards the end Lightening. Air temp 36F FUN

Walk for Babies - March of Dimes April 16th, 2011

29th Annual Sole Burner 5K - May 7th, 2011 -- 34 min 15 sec (11:25 pace)

Oshkosh Dragon Boat Festival 10K -- September 24th, 2011 -- 59min 48secs (sub 10:00 pace)

Freak 5K - October 29th, 2011 -- 32mins 0 sec (damn cold)

Upcoming Races/Events:

Santa Scamper (1 Mile fun run)

Festival Food's Turkey Trot 5mi

Great 5-K, 10-K, Marathon Training Link to Hal Higdon:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...