Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9217 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 8:53 PM by monstrous RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • CDNJehn Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 4, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 4, 2006 8:24 PM (in response to monstrous)
    Re: Best Running Music

I'm so glad to find a post about songs to run to.  I can always find info about songs that are "inspirational" to run to, or have a running theme, but never posts that concentrate on the tempo.  I use an MP3 player when I run alone, to keep my pace on track. 

Right now I'm loving "Lose Yourself" by Eminem.  It's perfect!  Any suggestions along that tempo would be much appreciated!

• sharetheroad Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 7, 2006
    31. Mar 4, 2006 8:33 PM (in response to monstrous)

It looks like Eminem is the crowd pleaser...I wouldn't have guessed that!

I've been rocking lately to Rush's Greatest Hits CD...got it downloaded in it's entirety...with that I'm good to go for about 10 miles...I would highly recommend it!

• CDNJehn Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 4, 2006
    32. Mar 4, 2006 8:40 PM (in response to monstrous)

I wouldn't say he's my fav. artist but the beat is perfect ... and the words are actually a tad inspirational on the road.  

• Michb81 Rookie 20 posts since
    Mar 1, 2004
    33. Mar 4, 2006 11:09 PM (in response to monstrous)

I tend to find anything with a good beat to work well for me.......I am a big eminem running fan myself.....50 cent has a good beat to some of his songs too.  But I only tend to have music in the winter, when I have to run on the treadmill due to snowy weather and lack of sunshine in the evening time (spring sure is going to be a treat, once we change the clocks again).  

• TheMountaineer Amateur 197 posts since
    Mar 13, 2005
    34. Mar 6, 2006 5:32 PM (in response to monstrous)

quote:

Originally posted by monstrous:

I borrowed my wifes i-pod for a run some time back, I prefer to run without music so the I can hear the natural sounds on the C+O canal, but music was nice for a change. I am wondering if certain songs make you all faster/slower, more comfortable? Enter Sandman (Metalica) came on and I would have thought that a great running song, but turned in a slower than average mile. Night swimming, although a slower song, was a great mile.I am a huge fan of REM since the 80's when they where playing Aerosmith , and Velvet Underground covers so that may have something to do with it, but Cheryl Crows First cut, another slower song was a good one also and I am not a fan of her.
    My wife, not much of a Gansta, runs to hard core rap! although she would not normally listen to it. How about you?Any special somg that does it?

I had to reply because Nightswimming is one song I listen to whilst out running too 

• nelaina Rookie 11 posts since
    Feb 22, 2006
    35. Mar 11, 2006 11:26 AM (in response to monstrous)

I like running to stuff that i can get lost in.  something fairly repetitive but having alot of depth like certain electronic music.  The faster tempo helps, but repetition, melody, depth and drums help me get a nice rhythm going

my first post here!

• alancar Rookie 9 posts since
    Mar 12, 2006
    36. Mar 12, 2006 9:17 AM (in response to monstrous)

'Wake me up Mr. Deadman' by Union Underground is my man the wind is blowing against me and Im dead and my time is falling nuclear option song.  Plus some guilty hope somebody doesnt look at my fav list: Kid Rock, Kelly Clarkson, Blink, Eminem, David Lee Roth -Yankee Rose, Velvet Revolver,  Green Day, Garbage, ect.

• sliljky Rookie 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2006
    37. Mar 12, 2006 11:14 PM (in response to monstrous)

"save a horse, ride a cowboy" - Big and rich
    " here i go again on my own" -whitesnake
    "summer of 69" -brian adams
    "salvation" - Rancid
    " Just like heaven" (cure cover) - Goldfinger
    "99 red balloons" - Happy hardcore

• ahmusely Rookie 53 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    38. Mar 13, 2006 12:17 AM (in response to monstrous)

The best best track is "the Boxer" by the Chemical Brothers.  An amazingly produced song with lots of groove and beat change ups and that spunk to make you run your socks off!!!

• cowboyducas Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Mar 13, 2006 11:11 PM (in response to monstrous)

These are my current favorites for running:

Born Slippery - by Underworld (from the Trainspotting Movice CD)
    For What You Dream Of - by Bedrock (also on The Trainspotting CD)
    All Songs - The Bravey CD

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    40. Mar 14, 2006 3:38 PM (in response to monstrous)

I like a huge variety and get bored listening to the same tracks so I change my MP3 pretty frequently  ... I was running at the path yesterday and remembered this post and realized the song I was listening to at the time was perfect (for me and my turnover rate, at least) 

Boom - by POD

the next song was more serious but it actually had a backbeat that was good to pace to ... I know it was the group Seether - I think the song was Burrito ...

I think Lose Yourself is a good one too ... btw

If tempo means a lot to you for running you might want to check out  some 'aerobics music catalogs" like Dynamix  ... they have a HUGE selection of music that is altered to exercise friendly tempos ... some of the songs are funny to hear but there's a lot to choose from ...  they can be a bit pricey, though ... around $26.00 a CD- but many are dbl CD sets

• AngrySky64 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    41. Mar 15, 2006 3:40 PM (in response to monstrous)

Powwow music.  Black Lodge Singers are my favorites.  I'm 1/8 Cherokee and it gets me back to my roots.  Every footfall is to the drum beat.  Very inspirational.  I went for a run a few weeks ago and got back to my home around dusk.  Right there in the middle of the road was a deer.  I walked right up to it with powwow music pounding in my ears.  Wow.  Told my husband that I was touched by my ancestors.  He he.  My running is currently on hold for 3 months - I had foot surgery (removed accessory navicular bone, reattached tendon) and doc says no running for 3 months.  Ouch.  Ok that's another topic. 

Anyway, powwow music great to run by.........

It's the journey, not the destination.

• coopsydaisy Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    42. Apr 2, 2006 8:56 AM (in response to monstrous)

This is my first post, though I've been reading here for several months and lovin' it.  Howdy, all!

This is my favorite subject because without music, I'm not sure what running would be like for me. I'm not interested in finding out.

Some faves (though they rotate frequently...it's good to keep things eclectic):

The Clash - especially "Spanish Bombs"
    Parliament, Funkadelic & George Clinton
    James Brown
    Southern Culture on the Skids
    Beasties - "Body Movin'" is one of those that really gets me
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
    Rufus Thomas
    The Afghan Whigs
    Pavement
    The Replacements
    Sebadoh
    The Pixies
    The Who - I can be almost ready to call it a day and a Who tune'll come on and I can't stop, esp. "A Quick One While He's Away" and "The Real Me"
    Iggy Pop - actually dangerous...I run way too fast for my level when his & Stooges songs come on...it's SOOOO worth it!

All right, thank you for your indulgence!  Happy running!

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    43. Apr 2, 2006 12:19 PM (in response to monstrous)

I just got Rob Zombie's, 'Past, Present, and Future', greatest hits type CD  ... lots of hard-rockin', fast paced choices on there  ... liked it so much I picked up the new one, 'Educated Horses' on my way home from running yesterday  ...

• ironoz Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Apr 11, 2006 12:23 AM (in response to monstrous)

I think it depends on the length of your run and your reason for running. If you're a competitive runner your session won't be as useful if the music is too slow or too fast. I find a slow song will slow down my stride/pace and a 1000BPM the opposite. If you can programme your MP3 for your planned pace and length of run then the music can be a great motivator. Slow songs at the start and end of your session for the warm up and warm down and a mix of fast and slower songs in between should work. If you're doing Fartlek training then this is ideal. Whilst I like Eminem, I don't "lose myself in the music, the moment....... on a run. I prefer something like Linkin Park or Queen. Try playing "Don't stop me now" by Queen when you hit the hills.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...