Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67786 Views 481 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2011 12:37 AM by SingingPilgrim Go to original post 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 33 Previous Next
  • Phillip Senter Pro 48 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    390. Jul 21, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5K week of June 20th!

Singing Pilgrim, I will certainly say a prayer for you.  I go to the Dermatologist on August 9th to have a small patch of skin cancer removed from my nose.  I had some removed last year and went back last week to have a small fistula removed from my nose.  I've had it for years, I will have it removed and it always grows back.  But it never was cancerous.  This time, though, it came back positive.  The nurse said it was Basil Cell Carcinoma, which is not supposed to be a big deal, but it always worries me a little.  Too many years of riding motorcycles without sunblock are catching up with me.

On a cherrier note,  I did my cross training today.  Rode my bike 3.2 miles, which included a small hill and 1 mile which was level dirt path.  Really got to get me a new seat (bigger and wider) and some of those biking shorts that have the built in padding.  Wasn't really that uncomfortable but I'll probably feel it worse in the morning.  Probably shouldn't have ridden so far but didn't have a choice, had to go pick up my vehicle that had broken down on me on my run yesterday.  At least all vehicles are at home.  Now to rest up for my first 20 minute run tomorrow with no walking break.

http://community.active.com/people/triggerracing/blog/2011/06/21/w1d1

• Maria Does Life in VA Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    391. Jul 22, 2011 2:11 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Anoter run down yesterday - it was so hot!!!!! But it worked - and so did the new sneakers.

Test will be tomorrow's 5K at Camp Pendleton - looking forward to that as they are starting by 7am before the real heat kicks in

Doctor today said I have early onset arthritis in my knee (darn those genes from my mother's side of the family -everyone gets arthritis between 35 - 45)!  I have a knee brace, and my cousin who is an athlete suggested glucosamine and Noni juice.  So I will keep moving on these interval runs to build up endurance and monitor the knee pain.  I lost another 3.5 lbs this week so that's good (only like 60 to go vs. 80+)

Question of the day - heart rates - I noticed my heart rate during my runs ranges from 150 - 170.  So many different web sites out there tell me my range but they are not consistent.  anyone know?

http://mariadoeslife.tumblr.com

Finished C25k: 7/28/2011

Races run:

CHKD Charity Run - 7/9 - 5K - 36:20 personal best on a mile 10:24

Allen Stone Braveheart Memorial 5K- 7/16 - 5K - 35:38 personal best on 5K

Operation Homefront 5K - 7/23 - walked - 51:55

Military Challenge (3.5 miles/obstacles) - 7/30 - ran/jumped over hurdles haha/walked - 64:55

RocknRoll 1/2 marathon - 9/4 VA Beach - 3:48:58

Freedom Run 9/11/2011 Chesapeake 49:11

Races entered:

Beach Ford 5K - VA Beach - 10/8/2011

Komen 5K - Chesapeake VA - 10/15/2011

Run Like a Girl 10K - 10/23/2011

Blue Moon Wicked 10K VA Beach - 10/29/2011

Outer Banks 8K (Kitty Hawk HS) - 11/12/2011

Freedom Half Marathon - 11/13/2011

Surfing Santa 10 miler VA Beach - 12/3/2011 - debating

Walt Disney World Marathon - 1/7/2012 - (run thru Epcot and Magic Kingdom)

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    392. Jul 22, 2011 3:35 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Here's a shout out to everybody struggling with the heat. I am a bit spoiled down here (I live about 200 miles south of the Ecuator in Ecuador and have to put on extra clothes when the temps fall down to below 75deg) because I am used the hea but I remember how much of a struggle it is when the temperature reaches levels you are not used to. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and slow down.

Now I have a real hard request to make to all of my running buddies out there. I am running not one but two marathons to raise money for cancer research. I hate cancer. Somehow I have personally been saved from suffering the affects of this killer but it seems to take a wrenching toll from almost every friend and family I know. October 2 I will run the Maraton de Guayaquil in Ecuador and January 29 the ING Miami Marathon.

I am committed to raising $1,700 for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for these events but I’m going farther. My personal goal is to raise a minimum of $5,000 for this great cause because I believe in the mission of the LLS and what they invest in. In my first active week fundraising, great friends have already donated $350. It is the first step, with more to go.

I am asking everybody to donate $25 to LLS as part of my marathon fundraising effort. Just about anybody can do $25. You can do $25. Even if you can’t, please give $10 to beat cancer. Make it $5 if you have to. If nothing else send me an email of good wishes, or even some prayers. Be part of the cure.

You can even give more! There is nothing like helping against this remorseless killer. But $25 will do in a pinch.

All donations go directly to LLS. You can learn more, or sign up to help, by visiting

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sfl/miami12/FatGringoTeacher

Thanks a lot -

Now let's go kick some asphalt - and beat cancer while we're at it!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    393. Jul 22, 2011 6:32 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

May I join?  I started tonight. 7/22

• Sherib12353 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 7, 2011
    394. Jul 22, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to teacherintraining)

of course you can   and good luck!!

Sheri

Jul 7, 2011
    395. Jul 22, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Finished week 4 today - even in all this heat - whooo hoo!!  I really need new sneakers and am curious what peoples favorite running sneakers are??

Sheri

• jmcd630 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011
    396. Jul 22, 2011 8:19 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Wow, no more interval training. I just finished W6D3.  Week 7 begins 25 min runs, like I just finished.  I can not believe it was only 6 weeks ago I was so scared to run for 60 seconds!  I need to work on my speed now, running about a 14 minute mile.  I have friends trying to twist my arm into doing a 1/2 marathon at the end of September.  I am going to see how week 7 goes, I have already added some cross training into my off running days (biking, walking, swimming) which is a componet of the 1/2 marathon training.  The length of the runs, especially the Saturday runs, just increase in distance.  I don't know -- we will see. 

I just have to say --- if I can do this, anyone can!  I have NEVER seen myself as a runner but now I feel like I have to run!  It makes me feel so much better when I do!

Happy running to all!  Keep up the good work!  I am finding it is soooooo worth it!!

Julie

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    397. Jul 23, 2011 2:48 AM (in response to Sherib12353)

Sheri

I have no favorites. My main shoes are a pair of Avias and I am now breaking in a pair of Addidas Rides. I am thinking of experimenting with going towards a more minamilist shoe for my next one since my weight is down.

As an aside - I go by the advice of Bob Glover from when I was a runner 20 years ago. I always keep 2 pr of shoes. One are your main running shoes. The other pair you buy and gradually break in. That way you have two good sets of shoes.

Right now my Avias have a little over 200 miles. They are showing wear but have a lot of miles left on them. In fact they are about as broken in as any shoes could be. They are my normal running shoes. The Addidas are a new purchase and I have been using them sometimes on my shorter runs. They have about 20 miles on them and are now feeling comfortable. Glover recommend having your "race shoes" to have between 20-100 miles on them - enough to be broken in but still giving lots of cushioning. When the main shoes give out, the Avias will be nobly retired, the Addidas will be promoted to the main trainer and I will buy another pair to be the back up/racer.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• khouppert Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    398. Jul 23, 2011 6:40 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

i cannot believe i haven't ran since monday. i hate the heat and haven't been feeling the greatest so i didnt wanna push it. i will attempt to run w5d1 but if i can't get through it i will just repeat w4d3 to build my strength back up. my knees have been feeling better, and ive iced them every night so im hoping they don't start up again. this heat is unreal and it sounds like everyone is dealing with it.

May 3, 2011
    399. Jul 23, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    W5D3

Completed the 20 minute run yesterday.  We aren't having the real high temps like others are, but still running in high 80's/low 90's isn't a walk in the park either.  My frozen water bottle was completely thawed and warming up by the time I finished.  Am switching to running the distance listed instead of time periods for week 6.  Full details in my blog, so click on the link below to check it out.

Jul 7, 2011
    400. Jul 23, 2011 7:05 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

thanks - my current sneakers are adidas, and I like them, but they are very old

Sheri

May 3, 2011
    401. Jul 23, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to Sherib12353)

My favorite running shoes are New Balance.  That being said, I don't currently run in them.  I have an old pair that I wear for everyday.  I'm going to reward myself upon graduation from C25K with a new pair of NB runners.  I must say the Columbia Sportwear trail runners I run in now, along with a pair of UkGear PT-03's, are very comfortable runners.  I credit my shoes with my not having any issues with pain or injuries so far.

• sonperrin Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011
    402. Jul 24, 2011 7:46 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

W4D1 done! Re-did week 3 last week without a hitch-even in the humidity. No problems with the 5 minute intervals today-took some good advise and kept my speed slow so I could make it through.

Learned a few things today:

hills+headwind=suck up your pride and slow down some MORE

bright sunshine+constant squinting= massive headache

Also I realized that I am focusing more on myself as I run and less on what the people driving by must be thinking. That feels good, and I noticed improvements because I was able to keep my trunk more upright and get good hip extension without collapsing forward. I actually added an extra 3 minute jog on the end...because I could:) And the last thing I learned today (but certainly not the least) is I am much stronger than I thought I was!!:) Looking forward to finishing this week and moving on to week 5!

Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive sunglasses that stay on when you're jogging?

• jmcd630 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011
    403. Jul 24, 2011 10:43 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

W7D1 complete --- hot and humid this morning!!  I did okay - had to stop and walk for about a minute 3 times.  Even with walking, my mile time improved from 14 minutes to 13 minutes.  I have a friend who wants me to walk/run a 1/2 marathon at the end of September.  I am going to see how I can merge the beginning 1/2 marathon training I found and weeks 7-9 of C25K... Tuesday I am going to try running 3 miles which is what the 1/2 marathon says I need to do which will encompass my W7D2 25 minute run.  I am hoping for 3 miles in about 36-39 minutes. Who knows, I may surprise myself!!   Have a great rest of your weekend!! 

• ChrisG71! Amateur 17 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    404. Jul 24, 2011 7:28 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Well went on vacation this week up to Chicago.  Unfortunately due to the heat & thunderstorms I couldnt do my 2 mile (W5:D3) run until today when I got home - it shold have been Thursday.  After a 12 hour drive I threw on my running clothes and hit the road.  Walked 5 mins then ran 6/10 of a mile.  It was all up hill (out of a river valley +150ft in 1/10 mile).  It just got to the point I had to stop to walk.  Walked another 3/4 mile then decided to give it another try.  So on top of the .89 miles in 14 mins of the failed run, I actually reset myself, walked another 7:45 mins as a warm up (mentally at this point) then ran the full 2 miles @ a 11 min mile pace.  I did feel like I was cheating a bit since it was a lot of downhill, but I did have several climbs including a +100' hill over 1/4 mile starting at the 1.5 mile mark.  and stil have the .6 from the 1st one.  I felt good on the 2nd run & think that I could have done it on the 1st try if I had gone out to the park I usually run at and didnt starve myself on the drive down from Chicago to avoid bathroom breaks.   My neighborhood is just not runner friendly!  Definately the most challanging run to day, both mentally & physically.  I'm thinking about running W6:D1 tomorrow to start to try & catch up, but not gonna push it.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...