Skip navigation

1904 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2011 11:20 AM by miamiHEATBOY23
miamiHEATBOY23 Legend 376 posts since
May 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2011 2:34 PM

how do you crossover a great defender

i need some tips on how to get past a great defender.here is the deal i had a summerleague game yesterday i had a bad game agaisnt this kid he was the same height as me i am 5,5.he was a great defender i coundn't get past him all i could do was shoot with him contesting my shot. i only had 6 points 2 assist and 1 rebound.he also won the defensive player award in are league.any tips.

Great players are great leaders.Miamiheatboy

• nbadream1234567890 Pro 118 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    1. Jul 24, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to miamiHEATBOY23)
    Re: how do you crossover a great defender

I used the UTEP crossover and then went around the back in the other direction. If that doesn't work just practice your crossover or practice your jump shot.

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    2. Jul 24, 2011 10:14 PM (in response to miamiHEATBOY23)

first of all the key is selling your moves if they know what you are doing then you have no chance, but if you sell the move go full speed, lean too the right, then crossover right at their hip and explode too the basket then u will be more successful

finally put yourself in the defenders mindset: he always wants too be an arms lengths away, so dont let him that happen put him in a position where he is out of position, put him in as many close out situations as possible.

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    3. Jul 25, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to miamiHEATBOY23)

Honestly, you don't need to get past him. Do a crossover pull back and shoot. Just work on your step back moves. If you can't drive past him then shoot it. That's what I do.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• EliteBaller Pro 118 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    5. Jul 25, 2011 9:07 AM (in response to miamiHEATBOY23)

You mostly have to get quicker with your crossover. Another thing is you have to sell your crossover, which is the most important thing to me. Make your defender think your going left then quickly crossover to the right. Hope this helped!!

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    6. Jul 25, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to miamiHEATBOY23)

if you have a great shot like me like it sounds like you do they should be crowding you and playing you for the shot so a good shot fake should work wonders for you, and also have an arsenal of moves I have like 4 or 5 moves too beat a defender so he cant be like we'll all he has is the step back so ill play him for that certain move, get him on his heels... great players can beat the defender in multiple ways.

and finally if you get the 1st step on him then you will be fine thats all it comes down too in beating people off the dribble whoever wins the 1st step.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points