Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2448 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 4:03 AM by Allbustedup RSS
ia_stater Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2011 8:58 AM

Will I ever be a runner?

I started trying to run back in March and have completed 3 5Ks, 1 10K, and a 7 mile race.  My problem is that I still can't run even a 1/2 mile at a time and walk about half of each race.  Everyone I have talked to say that I should be able to run the entire race by now and it is very frustrating.  I don't think I'm cut out to run, but I hate to fail and disappoint everyone.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    1. Jul 27, 2011 12:06 PM (in response to ia_stater)
    Re: Will I ever be a runner?

The quick answer is if you keep working on it, then yes some day you will be what You consider a "runner"!  Are you following any kind of training program?  I'm no expert but in my experience the only way to build up endurance is by gradually increasing your running interval(s) and decreasing your walking interval(s).  That, and it does not happen overnight.  I've been running since December, not as many days per week as I should, but finally this past weekend I was able to run my entire Sunday Runday route of 3.22 miles.  I had been stuck at 2 miles for a while but never gave up!  If I can do it so can you, keep trying!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jul 27, 2011 9:42 PM (in response to ia_stater)

It can easily take 6 months to a year to build a solid base of running fitness. You've been running only since March, so hang in there! You're completing distances up to 7 mi - you are doing very well. As for being able to run the entire distances without walking - You may be going just a little too fast for your current fitness level. Try reducing your pace by about 15 to 30 sec/mile and see if that makes a difference in the distance you can run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jul 28, 2011 4:57 PM (in response to ia_stater)

If you think you are a runner, then you are a runner!  Mental attitude is half of what being a runner is about.  I have plenty of friends who I consider runners and who consider themselves runners that run/walk their races.  You shouldn't worry about disappointing anyone, running is something to do for yourself.  Be thankful for the distance you are able to run and keep working on it and you'll find your endurance steadily improving.  Make sure you're setting reasonable goals for yourself to increase the distance you run and you'll be running the entire race soon enough.  If you aren't keeping a running log it might help so that you can see your progress.  You might be running more than you are giving yourself credit for.  Good luck and keep running!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    4. Jul 28, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to ia_stater)

I agree with the previous poster.  You're just starting out on what can be a LONG road of happy and much healthier for you running.  Don't let anybody, especially yourself discount the value of what you are accomplishing every time you get out there and do your best.  You are miles ahead of where you were before starting and have absolutely no timetable to live up to for making progress.  If you want to make yourself miserable you can keep on comparing yourself to some theoretical "real runner."  My advice is don't.

Set yourself some smaller goals for whittling down the  walk intervals, but don't worry if it takes awhile.  If you keep after it and just enjoy doing what you can do, you will make progress.  More important, you'll be getting healthier every step of the way.

Run well!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    5. Jul 28, 2011 8:08 PM (in response to Joseph Tree)
    I didn't consider myself a runner for a long time, and I was like you - walking probably at least 1/2 of a 5K. And I started running back in January! But in the last few weeks I've gotten to where I consider myself a runner. I had to increase my endurance, and something around that time finally clicked so I could run 25 minutes of a 30 minute session. Just keep believing in yourself! You can do it!

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    6. Jul 29, 2011 3:33 AM (in response to ia_stater)

Holy smoke - you've done all those races and don't consider yourself a runner?  Do you have a little 'head' stuff and too high expectations going on?  Jeff Galloway endorses a run/walk in his training and completes marathons that way.  I've even heard people that have better times doing that.  I've not tried it, but I don't think being a runner means you absolutely run every step.  For running less than 6 months you've had huge accomplishments simply completing those races.  Now what I learned for myself, I had to build an endurance base before speed, and that meant slowing down - way down.  I can now complete 3 miles in 36 minutes which is WAY better than my first (and only) 5K time.  Progress is slow in this world of "I want it hot and I want it now" mentality.  You're doing great.  Keep plugging away.  You're up, you're off the couch, and you're making progress.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    7. Jul 30, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to ia_stater)

Wait a minute, who are you going to "disappoint"?  Aren't you doing this for yourself?  Maybe the first thing you need is an attitude adjustment.  You aren't doing this to prove anything to anyone else.  You are doing this for YOUR benefit.  If your progress is slow, then at least it is still progress and you are doing better now than you were when you started.

Will you ever be a runner?  Well if you run, then you are a runner by definition ("one who runs").  Will you ever run a marathon in 3 hours?  Maybe, maybe not.  But if your goal is to move forward - literally - a mile at a time then you are achieving that goal.  If you stick with it and push yourself to improve, you will gradually cover those distances faster and easier.  And you will do it all for YOU and no one else!

• runnergilr Amateur 5 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    9. Jul 31, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to ia_stater)

Oh yes you it will just take time and training.  My daughter, husband and I started running 8 months ago with the inauguration Marathon and Half Marathon in Morgan Hill in November 2010. We felt in love with running right away. As soon as we crossed the finished line we were ready for the next. We have ran 3 1/2 marathons and 2 10ks. On our first half I thought Iwas going to die at the end but my goal was for us to run all 26.2 miles one day and with lots of training we are on track to do it in October 2011 (again in Morgan Hill).  I have read a few books about training to run marathons and I believe that all the information has really helped me with my training. One of the books that i recommend would be The Marathon Method by Tom Holland and like someone else said use the Jeff Galloway method. for every mile you run walk a minute. it takes time,  training and faith but if you really want to complete a 1/2 or even full marathon you will. positive thinking will also help you.  Good Luck and for what I read on your question you are already a runner if you ask me.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    10. Aug 2, 2011 3:34 AM (in response to ia_stater)

You should definitely get on a smart training plan (C25K will work) and gradually build the time you're running until you can complete a 5k running the entire time. Once you do that I think your motivation will be at an all-time high.

Running is all about patience and a gradual progression of increasing your mileage. Don't get discouraged, just work smarter! If you can run .5 miles yesterday, you can run .6 miles a few days later.

Good luck!

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • Allbustedup Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    11. Aug 2, 2011 4:03 AM (in response to ia_stater)

I have been running for about a year after power lifting hardcore for a year and  it takes time. I was where you are at for the longest time and then one week it just clicked and everything improved. I found that when you feel like you cant go any further push yourself another 50 feet or another 30 seconds on a treadmill and then repeat, slow down to a crawl if you have to. There is no shame in walking but a whole lot in flat out giving up on yourself.

Deads: 445

Squat: 365lbs

Bench: 305

Shoulder Shrugs: 495

2 mile run: 16:13

4 mile run: 36:33

CARPE DIEM!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points