Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

587 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2006 11:07 AM by AliCat1
i love me Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 28, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2006 6:19 PM

bloated/full tummy feeling after runs!

Anyone else get this?

maybe it's b/c I am not used to wearing tights?

But my belly always feels full and bloated even though I didn't eat too much

I always check to scale to ensure myself that I didn't gain 5 pounds on the run!!!

• healthnut4ever Rookie 14 posts since
    Nov 8, 2005
    1. Mar 2, 2006 10:03 PM (in response to i love me)
    Re: bloated/full tummy feeling after runs!

sodium bloat....try including plenty of potassium in your diet.  It will help balance out the sodium that is trying to be pulled into your cells during running.  The more potassium on the inside of your cells the less sodium that gets in...therefore you will be less bloated.  It's a good ol' fashioned balancing act.  I usually eat 1/2 a bananna before a run and add the rest of it to my ceral afterwards.

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    3. Mar 11, 2006 11:50 AM (in response to i love me)

Thank you for this posting and thank you for the response!  I've been wondering about this since I started running years ago and now I know what to do!  I'm going to buy me some bananas!  

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 11, 2006 3:01 PM (in response to i love me)

On the other hand, a very long run and replacing just water and not enough sodium can cause your stomach to bloat up, too.  You need sodium to get the water to pass from your stomach  and be absorbed, and if you don't have enough sodium, it will just sit there instead.  It's usually recommended to make sure what you are drinking during long periods of exercise contains some sodium rather than having just plain water.

• saleneraemazur Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 27, 2006
    5. Apr 6, 2006 2:30 PM (in response to i love me)

i was wondering about this too. am training for my wedding and my running is making me feel pregnant!!!! oh brother.

• AliCat1 Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 13, 2004
    6. Apr 7, 2006 11:07 AM (in response to i love me)

exactly! i always feel full, bloated, and i have a gut that bulges out! i thought it was the need to take a big c#@! but not at all.
    i often feel bloated and heavier even after i take a shower. whats up with that? shouldn't you feel lighter after a workout?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...