Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

602 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2011 12:05 PM by fasterstronger RSS
CrockpotHead Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2011 5:43 PM

Help!

Ive been running on treadmills only for about a little over a month. Yesterday I ran a 2 mile race that I thought would be a breeze because Im used to running up to 5 miles at a time on the treadmill. I was surprised to find it was harder than I thought it would be.  I have an upcoming 5k in 2 weeks and I plan to start running outside so I can get used to the heat again. Any advice on how often I should run outside and for how long so that I can be ready for the 5k?

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 28, 2011 8:19 PM (in response to CrockpotHead)
    Re: Help!

I would run outside every other until you are used it, good luck

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    2. Jul 28, 2011 9:38 PM (in response to CrockpotHead)
    Run outside every time  if possible,  if not set the TM incline on 2,   Over the years I found that TM running became harder after you are use to doing it outside
  • DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 30, 2011 8:31 AM (in response to CrockpotHead)

Your training should simulate race conditions. Since you will run your 5K outdoors in heat, the more running you do outdoors in heat, the better prepared you will be for the race.

• fasterstronger Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 21, 2007
    4. Jul 30, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to DaveVause)

Agreed. It is a mistake to assume that treadmill running is the same as outside running.  The best way to run faster in races is to run outside and get your body used to the weather conditions, hills, and impact that you will experience in a race.

The Runner's Resource
    Advice and information about training, racing, nutrition, injuries, and motivation!

The Runner's Resource
    Advice and information about training, racing, nutrition, injuries, and motivation!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...