Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67816 Views 481 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2011 12:37 AM by SingingPilgrim Go to original post 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33 Previous Next
  • Padvali Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 1, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    420. Jul 28, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5K week of June 20th!

Great news on the test results!!!

Started week 8 last night.  Once I got into the groove, I opted to try for distance (2.75 mi) vs. time (28 min) and I was able to do it!!! I continued running for my 5 min coold down to get my distance in and my avg was 5 mph so that is increasing as well as my distance.  I had started the run thinking I would try for 20, even after dark, the temps were mid 90's and humidity in the 90%'s as well.  Makes it hard to breath.

• Sherib12353 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 7, 2011
    421. Jul 28, 2011 7:46 AM (in response to ChrisG71!)

thank you!  seems people love asics!!

Sheri

Jul 7, 2011
    422. Jul 28, 2011 7:49 AM (in response to chr1svee)

I just completed W5D2 and am so nervous and scared about day 3....  running 2 eight mins was ok... but jumping to 20 mins seems way too HUGE of a jump!!  I don't know if I can do it and dont know if I should try or if I should alter it a bit....  I think there should be another "baby step" built into it here!!  What did you think ?

Sheri

• xfitjunkie Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    423. Jul 28, 2011 9:35 AM (in response to Sherib12353)
    @ Sherib12353 - I totally know how you feel.  I was so nervous about the 20 minute run that I did week 5 day 2, twice.  Then I reminded myself that the program has not yet given me anything I could not do so I  just sucked it up and believed in the program.  It was so NOT as bad as I thought it would be.  In fact I think I could have pushed myself more!  The creators of this program are truly brilliant! Stick with it and keep the faith!
  • treasa99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011
    424. Jul 28, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to chr1svee)

I just started reading these posts, but have been training for a 5K race for 6 weeks now using a couch to 5 K app on my phone. I, too was terrified of running for 20 minutes without stopping! I did it, even though I was a little under the weather that day. I am so very happy to be able to do what I am doing now at 56 years old!

• sonperrin Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011
    425. Jul 28, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

@SingingPilgrim:

Congrats on the negative test results!!!

• Maria Does Life in VA Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    426. Jul 28, 2011 12:17 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I'm thinking of going back to week 5 to try to get my pace back on track - I found with my knee that I've just lost momentum.  I can still run, as I proved to myself today  - I ran 5 minutes, walked 2, ran 7 walked 1 ran 5, walked a few and then ran another 5-7.  But I am just dragging.  Now granted we're also in the hottest time of the season which isn't helping - the other day it was so nice at the beach that I ran back on my former 13 min/mile pace, but I just had a rough 2 weeks.  Unlike past attempts at getting back in shape however, I promised myself to get up and go out again anyway.  I have my next 5K this weekend, and then no new races for now until the 1/2 marathon in September.  My goal for august is to gradually increase distance, and just stay on a steady pace.  I am trying hard not to focus on the pace so much but it's hard when I have my NIKE telling me every 5 minutes how far I went (I need the timer from them b/c I will just zone out and stop before I probably should when running).  I think I need some new routes too.

http://mariadoeslife.tumblr.com

Finished C25k: 7/28/2011

Races run:

CHKD Charity Run - 7/9 - 5K - 36:20 personal best on a mile 10:24

Allen Stone Braveheart Memorial 5K- 7/16 - 5K - 35:38 personal best on 5K

Operation Homefront 5K - 7/23 - walked - 51:55

Military Challenge (3.5 miles/obstacles) - 7/30 - ran/jumped over hurdles haha/walked - 64:55

RocknRoll 1/2 marathon - 9/4 VA Beach - 3:48:58

Freedom Run 9/11/2011 Chesapeake 49:11

Races entered:

Beach Ford 5K - VA Beach - 10/8/2011

Komen 5K - Chesapeake VA - 10/15/2011

Run Like a Girl 10K - 10/23/2011

Blue Moon Wicked 10K VA Beach - 10/29/2011

Outer Banks 8K (Kitty Hawk HS) - 11/12/2011

Freedom Half Marathon - 11/13/2011

Surfing Santa 10 miler VA Beach - 12/3/2011 - debating

Walt Disney World Marathon - 1/7/2012 - (run thru Epcot and Magic Kingdom)

Jul 7, 2011
    427. Jul 28, 2011 2:37 PM (in response to xfitjunkie)

Yikes!!!  Doing it (I hope) tomorrow morning!  Thanks for the words of encouragement!  I will let you know how I do - I think I keep thinking I "can't" and I am sure that is not a very healthy, positive way to be...  so ...  I have some work to do on attitude as well!!!  lol

Sheri

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    428. Jul 29, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I have not been on this site in several weeks but I am so happy to see that so many people are sticking to the program!  It is very encouraging, to say the least!

I myself suffered a knee injury way back on W1D3.  After limping around for 10 days, I finally relented and went to the doc.  Turns out, it's Patellofemoral pain syndrome and Pes anserinus bursitis.  Apparently, very common injury in runners (which makes me laugh out loud since I was only a 'runner' for 3 days, one for only minute at a time!)  Although my knee still aches every now and again depending on what I have been doing,  the 'pain' is finally gone (it was pretty intense for a while).   I am seeing  a physical therapist once a week for 4 weeks (I saw her for the second time this week) and realized that my injury was due to a 'perfect storm' of several things all at once.....weak hip, bad running shoes and running up and down hills.  That'll teach me.

I have not been running but was able to walk for 3 miles twice last week and have been given the go ahead to start a "Return to Running" program (which is very much like the C25K program).  I will be getting new running shoes this week as I am armed with a list of good running shoes, thanks to my physical therapist.

I will also be the proud owner of a treadmill within the next two weeks.

I am hoping with the right shoes, a treadmill and the encouragment I get from reading all of your posts, that I will eventually start on the C25K again and be classified as a 'runner'.  Or, at least classified as someone who can run a 5K.

Stay strong and keep on runnin'.

Kris

Kris

• 422lrw Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    429. Jul 29, 2011 1:19 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Hey Kris (WI):  Was curious to know what your PT recommended

in the way of running shoes?  I have had zumas in the past and currently switch

between my 2 prs of asics.  I need to switch a pair out and get some new ones

this week.

Am thrilled to have had a successful W6D2 today!  I did find the 10-3-10

interval to be much easier than W6D1.  This weekend is my first 25 min

run no walk. Can't believe I have FINALLY made it to my straight runs!!!

So proud of myself that I am going to sign up today for my first 5K

on Sept. 5th.  It is appropriately named "Labor of Love 5K" !  hahaha!!!

Something tells me tho' that I am going to need some encouragement

getting thru the W7,8, and 9's of 25 min, 28min, and 30 min runs!

If I could just get a morning or evening without the humidity! Geez!

Keep on Running!

Lisa

• ChrisG71! Amateur 17 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    430. Jul 29, 2011 3:02 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Well completed week 6 yesterday by running Tues (W6:D1), Wed (W6:D2), & Thurs (W6:D3).  I usually would have allowed a day of rest between the runs but had good weather (hot, but no rain), I was feeling good and the kids were off @ Grandma's this week so I actaully had the time!   My left leg was a little sore after the 2.25 run, but I think that's because I hadnt given my body ample time to recover from the previous 2 runs.  Taking a day off for stretching today.  Planning on starting Week 7 tomorrow as long as the soreness is gone in my leg.  I'm still amazed (and proud) that in week 1 I kept looking at my watch begging for that 1st run interval to be done and now I'm cruising by 2 miles.  I've been averaging around 10.5 minute miles on my pace when I run.  I hope to be able to get below a 10 min mile by the end of week 9, but if I can just jog the whole 3 miles I'll be perfectly satisfied in improving the time later!

• Padvali Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 1, 2011
    431. Jul 29, 2011 3:34 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Completed W8D2 this morning.  I was a little surprised by my run today.  The last few weeks, I have done my runs in the evening, higher heat and 90's for humidity.  I actually felt better running in that than I did the morning.  I wonder if it is because I am running on an empty stomach in the morning.  Last run, i was able to push myself to reach 2.75 mi and it felt great, not too hard.  Just hot.  Today, I really had to push myself to get to the 2.5 mi mark, and my pace was slower.    So in the same run time, I was 1/4 a mile slower today   

Happy running everybody, enjoy your weekend!

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    432. Jul 29, 2011 8:52 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Completed w6d2 tonight! Boy it was so humid it was like a sauna outside. Even running inside it was sweaty. I had no issues running the 10 min intervals. I'm starting to get into a zone so that minutes pass by without me being overly aware that I'm running!   No more walk intervals for me! I'm a little apprehensive about 25 minutes! I will be trying it on Sun. I've been able to run on one day's rest so my body is finally getting used to the pounding.  Happy running everyone!

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

• teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    433. Jul 29, 2011 9:19 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

I know I'm way behind you all, but I finished wk 1 tonight!!!   Not to sure about doing wk 2. Thinking about repeating wk.1. What is recomended by you all?

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    434. Jul 30, 2011 4:40 AM (in response to teacherintraining)

If you were able to complete that run three times I'd suggest moving ahead unless you're having pain or are extremely short of breath. If you completed less than that how was your last run? If it felt like something you could repeat and it would be easier the next time I'd move on. You can always repeat w2d1 if you find it'd too much.  Congrats on completing the first week. You will be amazed at how you will progress.

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...