Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

489 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 1:01 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
xlpitive Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2011 3:05 AM

xplitive

I had back surgery(L4/L5) three years ago and struggled to get back into running. I kept getting pains in my butt and right leg and had to stop running. I saw my surgeon and he said I had to work on my core muscles. I did so with vigor but I had the same problems. About a year ago I decided if I couldn't run I would strengthen my upper body so I started doing pushups. I got up to over 1000 per week-unfortunately I developed shoulder problems but(runners never do anything in moderation) but when I started running six months ago I was able to do so pain free.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,146 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 17, 2011 1:01 PM (in response to xlpitive)
    Re: xplitive

Abs are really critical to running well, but be careful not to over-strengthen them. Tight abs are a frequent cause of lower back pain in the vicinity of the erector spinae muscles,  regardless of the condition of the spine itself, and can increase  pressure on the spinal disks by pulling downward on the ribs. Make sure to keep them free of trigger points, and flexible with safe backward stretches on a Theraball or equivalent.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...