Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18957 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 2:03 PM by JRRunsSlow RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • CoolGram Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Aug 1, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to Ghost Reaper)
    Re: Listen to Music While Running?

WOW Ghost!!!! You are my inspiration!!! I am on day two of week one. You look fantastic and I hope to be posting similar "less of me" photos in the next 6 months! I wouldn't enjoy this program without my music and my chocolate lab! He seems to know when I start lagging and gives me the encouragment to plug forward! He's a good pacer!

Thanks for the encouragement!

CoolGram

Optimus Prime: Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error.

CoolGram

• BornToRun1001 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    76. Aug 9, 2011 12:53 AM (in response to jeff19)

I love listeining to music when I run. I do, at times however, like to turn it off and space out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Aging is just an illusion:
    http://www.breakingbarriersblog.com/

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    77. Aug 9, 2011 5:28 AM (in response to Ghost Reaper)

Ghost - I'll be at the TWC 5k on 9/17 also, good to see someone else from my area out here!

I started out running with my MP3 all the time, but for the last month or so have been running without it.  I know many races do not allow them and don't want that to be a shock to my system.  I actually like the slight change in pace for different songs; my playlist is all pretty upbeat so the change is not much.  Oh and the gum - MUST have gum, don't think I could run without gum!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    78. Aug 11, 2011 11:16 PM (in response to OshCat)

I absolutely can not run without music...I think too much about my discomfort.  Music helps me zone out on long runs.  @OshCat...too funny about the gum.  My thing used to be cough drops.  I couldn't run without the honey halls.  I've recently switched to gum though.

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• JRRunsSlow Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    79. Aug 19, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to TweetyPie)

Hello, I run with music on training runs when I am running alone.  I use to use the standard Apple earbuds provided with their devices, but found the wires a pain.  So about a year ago bought a pair of bluetooth headphones.

The first ones I bought were earbud style, but bluetooth had no wires, but the make I was buying would not take the persperation created while running and shorted out (I went through 6 sets).  Plus I found the earbuds not real comfortable for long runs or longer durations of wear.

After I had used up the entire inventory of the original make I had bought because they kept shorting out (the clerk told me they weren't made for running while the promotional material on the box made an exact reference to good for any sport and I thought running would qualify as a sport), the clerk talked me in to trying a Rocketfish Headset (still bluetooth).  I was reluctant because it is over ear instead of in ear and I thought they might be bulky etc... but after my first run I was glad I she had recommended them.

Being over ear I think they are less harmful to the ear plus they are super comfortable to wear for any duration.  They have outstanding battery life (11 hours to a charge) and they are fully functional with my Iphone and can operate all controls from the headphones themselves.

Running History.......

Aug 2011 - Taylor Milne 10K Fun Run - 46:47

July 2011 - NB Triathalon - Relay Runner 8.4K - :41:01

July 2011 - NB Canada Day 10K Road Race - 47:42

June 2011- Patrick4Life 1/2 Marathon - 1:47:39

May 2011 - Mississauga Marathon - Full - 4:10:24

May 2011 - Kaufman 10K Fun Run - 47:59

Mar 2011 - Hamilton Around The Bay 30K - 2:57:25

Dec 2010 - Running Room Sudbury Santa Shuffle 5K - 24:32

Oct 2010 - NB Hospital Fdnt 10K Fun Run - 49:50

Aug 2010 - Taylor Milne 10K Fun Run - 56:50

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next