Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1739 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2011 8:55 AM by Spokesnwheels
Spokesnwheels Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2011 11:29 AM

Jumped ahead in training; now what?

I am training for the Dallas White Rock Marathon that is in December.  I have a good base built and have done two half marathons in the past 7 months.  This past Saturday I was supposed to run 12 miles, but due to having to detour for some unplanned bathroom breaks, I ended up going 14 miles.  The last part of it was more like a run with some more frequent walking breaks at the end.  I think part of that was due to the stomach issues, and due to just running out of gas.  I felt fine afterwards, and even went swimming after that.

My delimna - since I inadvertantly jumped ahead of myself, what do I do as far as training.  Do I add on another mile for Saturday and make it 15, re-run the 12 miler as it should have been,  or continue as my plan states for this week, and do a 9 mile recovery run?

I may be over thinking it, but just want to make sure I don't burn myself out before the big date!

My long running days that are left as scheduled as such:

Week # Long Day Mileage
26restMarathon Day

Completed:

Komen Dallas 5K - 29:38

Dallas Turkey Trot ( 8 mi ) - 1:35:37

White Rock Half Marathon - 2:47:12

Rock'n'Roll Dallas Half Marathon - 2:40:24

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Aug 1, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to Spokesnwheels)
    Re: Jumped ahead in training; now what?

Spokesnwheels,

I don't know if you jumped ahead of your training too much, because I'm sure most people (myself included) sometimes feel good/bad on their long run days and put in a little extra/less.  As long as you're comfortable and feel challenged by your training plan, go ahead and stick with your 9-miler this weekend.

However, if you feel like you're not being pushed, then you might want to find a new plan, like an 18-week plan by Hal Higdon (or something similar).  Most of his plans have two build weeks, then one recovery.  You're still out pretty far from your marathon, so there's still time to switch things around to keep yourself challenged, but not burnt out.

Good luck!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 2, 2011 6:45 AM (in response to Spokesnwheels)

You are over thinking it, stay with the plan!  You are going to have runs that do not go 100% per your plan that is okay.  Just stay as close to it as you can!  You have plenty of time, relax you will be fine!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. Aug 2, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to Spokesnwheels)

Some days just go wrong. Sometimes you can know why. Others -- not so much.

There are some mysteries to running.

The best thing (imo) is stick to the plan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points