Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21508 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 7:38 PM by CharlesAlberson 1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next
go4itlisa Amateur 37 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 4, 2011 9:12 AM

Starting C25K (again) next week (8-8-11)!!

Hi everyone!  This will be the second time I've started (and not completed) C25K.  I got through week W5D2 about a year ago.  I got sick, the weather got cold, yadda, yadda, yadda and I quit.  I had every intention of starting this spring but did a couple nights and quit again.  To be truthful, my family has had a very busy summer but that's still not a very good excuse.  The heat is really what's getting me now.  We recently moved into a new house and put the treadmill in the room with all the other stuff we're not ready to go through yet.  It's too hot to run outside until about 10pm and then it's too dark for running in the country.  Now that I can see this in writing, it just looks like a bunch of excuses...  Oh well, I'm putting that behind me now and going to make a fresh start.  School will be starting soon and life will be getting into more of a routine.  No more excuses!  I'm doing this!!

I'm thinking of signing up for a 5k on Sept 11th.  I know I won't be able to run the whole thing but it's at a really cool zoo and it would probably just be a fun thing to do with my 11 year old son.

Anyone else thinking of starting soon?  I'd love to hear your stories, motivation, etc.  I want to do this to get in shape, feel younger and stronger and look better.  I'm a 37 year old mother of 2 boys (11 & 7) and I want to be able to keep up with them for a long time to come!

Lisa

• lolly88 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    1. Aug 4, 2011 3:00 PM (in response to go4itlisa)
    Re: Starting C25K (again) next week (8-8-11)!!

I started (again) last week, can I join?

Did the C25k 4 years ago, got all the way through it, and even did a half marathon a year after finishing. I was so proud of myself and in the best shape of my life! Since then, various life events have got in the way and over the last two years I've gained far more weight than I'm comfortable with and my fitness has dropped away. I tried to go for a 3 mile run a couple of weeks ago and managed about 10 minutes before practically collapsing - I hadn't realised it had got so bad! So I'm going right back to the beginning. I've just finished week 1 and tomorrow will be W2D1. And this time I'm determined to make running a lifelong habit.

By the way, I did a 5k at the end of, hmm, week 4 or 5 I think, last time I did the C25k. It was damn hard but I did manage to run the whole thing, so I say GO FOR IT and you may find you can do more than you think!

• Tdcat Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Aug 4, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to lolly88)

I'd like to join you!  I  tried this last year too and got to around week 7 or 8.  Then the weather got cold and I conked out.  Anyway, I really want to get back into it and I need a group to help keep me motivated.

• AKBarnhart Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    3. Aug 4, 2011 9:34 PM (in response to Tdcat)

I'm in too. I started running a few weeks ago (first time ever) after spending the past few years being pregnant and/or near death. I'm a 27 year old SAHM of 4 and a college student. I'm hoping to lose about 40 lbs & I'm signing up for a 5K in Dec. Having a group to be accountable to will definitely help keep me on track. So far I can tell I am making progress, but I want to make sure I don't stall out.

• cyclinginsalem Expert 42 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    4. Aug 5, 2011 5:36 AM (in response to go4itlisa)

Hi All!  I'm new to running and I just ran/walked W1D3 but think I might do week 1 again.  I'm still feeling winded during the run parts.  Is that a good idea or should I push on to W2?  Any input would be great   Good luck to everyone out there just starting, we need it

c25k started 8/1/11

• RunningQueen26 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    6. Aug 5, 2011 6:24 AM (in response to cyclinginsalem)

Good luck to you all starting!!!  I'm on W7D2 and found lots of inspiration looking at people's post that were further along than me.  I was truly a couch potato before starting the program back in June.  I never thought I could run 2 miles, but I am now and I was completely out of breath running 60 seconds when I started.

Cyclinginsalem - I would try to go on to Week 2.  If you find you can't complete it, that's okay.  Just repeat it until you can.  You will be surprised at what you can do.  I repeated only two days so far. Also I realized ready other posts that some runs are great, some are good, and some you just feel sluggish.  They all are better than being on the couch!

I'm also not a morning person either, but getting up at 5:45 when it is cool outside makes all the difference in my runs.  I also feel great the rest of the day.  I use to be the person whose alarm would go off several times and I had to have my caffeine.  Now I don't need the caffeine in the morning and I feel more awake than ever.  Took until about week 4 to get to that point.  

Good luck!

Started C25K - June 17, 2011

Completed C25K - August 21, 2011

First 5K: September 17, 2011 (Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer Oktoberfest Run) - 34:44 (avg 11:10 a mile)

Best 5K run in 2011 - 10/24/11 - 30:34 (avg 9:51 a mile)

October 29, 2011 (Trek or Treat 5K) - 31:56 (avg 10:14 a mile)

Personal Record - 1/29/12 - 5K - 28:27 (avg 9:12 a mile)

March 3, 2012 (Allen Eagle Run 5K) - 31:20 (avg 10:06 a mile)

March 31, 2012 (Firefly Run 5K) - 31:15 (avg 10:01 a mile)

August 12, 2012 (Hottest Half 10K) - 1:13:18 (avg 11:48 a mile)

October 27, 2012 (Dallas 13.1 Marathon) - 2:41:36 (avg 12:20 a mile)

November 22, 2012 (Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miles) - 1:33:08 (avg 11:38 a mile)

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    7. Aug 5, 2011 7:28 AM (in response to lolly88)

I started July 31....glad to hear I am not alone.  Great to hear the program led to more than a 5K and would really like to hear about that and how you did it.

Week 2 starts tomorrow....looking ahead, when the weeks have time/distance options....I am thinking of doing the distances rather than times (Iam just trying to finish the run....not set any records)  Just wondering how others have done it or are doing it...and any experiences.

Thanks all.

Aug 1, 2010
    8. Aug 5, 2011 8:01 AM (in response to SergeStorms)

I've been doing it by time.  I love the ipod app!!  It really helps me keep running when I'm supposed to be running for the right amount of time.

c25k started 8/1/11

Aug 5, 2011
    10. Aug 5, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to go4itlisa)

Thanks...sounds like time is the way to go....but there is not an app for my Blackberry (another reason to bail for Android)

Anyone listening to the podcasts?

• adkwmn Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 28, 2008
    11. Aug 5, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to go4itlisa)

Count me in.  I started this week.  I just had a baby on the 11th and am starting slow.  I ran up until about 5 months into my pregnancy but not with much regularity.  I am looking at doing a 5k in the first week of October.

Aug 1, 2010
    12. Aug 5, 2011 8:58 AM (in response to SergeStorms)

what podcasts?

c25k started 8/1/11

Aug 5, 2011
    13. Aug 5, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to cyclinginsalem)

I saw these.....what seem to be "the originals".

http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Google "c25k podcast" and it takes you to a page with MANY variations.  For some reason, I can't copy a link DIRECTLY to that page.  They have apple/android versions.

Haven't tried/ listened to any....for me, the more distractions, the better.

• lolly88 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    14. Aug 5, 2011 10:36 AM (in response to SergeStorms)

I used the Robert Ullrey podcasts the first time I did the C25k and they were good, he's very encouraging, but I wasn't a massive fan of the music. This time around I'm using the NHS podcasts, done by a lady called Laura, and I prefer this music.

I'm just off for my W2D1 run right now. Oh, also a nice side effect of running and eating properly: I lost two pounds this week! Yay.

1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...