Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1053 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 1:24 PM by ManikSona RSS
Soulrunner1217 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2011 7:13 PM

Healthy weight loss tips wanted.

I'm a 27 year old woman I'm 5'7" and I'm currently 179 lbs. I run about 25 to 30 miles a week. I started running in the summer of 2008 to lose weight. I reached a low of 155 lbs in 2009 but I have since gained quite a bit of the weight back. I love running but my problem is my eating. I eat too much and I eat the wrong things. My goal weight is be 150 lbs. I want to learn to eat the right things that will fuel my body and keep me satisfied and not add to my waistline. I want to loss weight but I want to do so in a healthy way. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Aug 5, 2011 7:46 PM (in response to Soulrunner1217)
    Re: Healthy weight loss tips wanted.

Have you been to MyFitnessPal.com?  It's a free site that you can join, input your current weight and goal weight.  It will then calculate your daily calories.  There is an area to input what you eat and it will give you a running count of what you've eaten and how many calories left each day.  I've been really impressed with it, especially since it's free.  I like it better than WW site.

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to Kristy in NC)
    Re: Healthy weight loss tips wanted.

Instead of eliminating everything you enjoy, why don't you try reducing your caloric intake.  When I began running a few years ago that was the approach I took to losing weight.  I did change some of the unhealthy things I was eating, but for the most part I tried to train my body to eat smaller portions of the things I enjoyed.  I counted all of my calories to ensure I wansn't going over my daily recommended amount. (I got this amount at WebMD, I believe I did a search on biggest loser diets and it took me to a weight loss area.)  Anyway, I also incorporated extra meals a day so that my metabolism didn't have a chance to slow down. The last thing I did was eliminate any meals after 7PM and all soda from my diet.  It worked really well.   Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...