Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5257 Views 48 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2008 3:16 PM by obsessiverunner 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
shannyk43 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 4, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2007 2:56 PM

Who do you run with?

I'm interested in who people run with, and why. Do you run alone? With friends? With a running group? If you run with others, why?

[http://This message has been edited by shannyk43 (edited Sep-19-2006).|http://This message has been edited by shannyk43 (edited Sep-19-2006).]

[http://This message has been edited by shannyk43 (edited Sep-19-2006).|http://This message has been edited by shannyk43 (edited Sep-19-2006).]

• alirocks Rookie 26 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    1. Apr 4, 2006 9:03 AM (in response to shannyk43)
    Re: Who do you run with?

i run with my pups
    they are great motivators
    and are ready to run whenever i am

• Grizzly039 Rookie 445 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    2. Apr 4, 2006 9:48 AM (in response to shannyk43)

Well it took a while before I found a balance.  As a newbie I would either run with people who were far faster than I was... and end up not enjoying the run, or far slower and feel that I'd shortchanged myself on the workout.

I found that I actually preferred running alone.

Then a few years back I found two people with whom I matched pace pretty closely and that opened a whole new world of running for me. It was sociable... but not very productive, so I scaled back to once a week with them. (Today I am very much faster than they are, but I run with them as a recovery run after a hard workout and still enjoy their comany).

There are a couple of members of the CH Calgary posse with whom I really enjoy running, but our schedules don't ever seem to match up. That's an "event" run when it happens and you just have to have a blast in those runs.

And from time-to-time there are people I work with who call and set up lunch "run" dates, usually a hard workout along the river bluffs to burn off stress.

My weekend running partner is my pooch. She rarely trips me.

That said, 95% of my running is solitary.

• Viich Amateur 323 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    3. Apr 4, 2006 10:23 AM (in response to shannyk43)

I still train with the university XC team, even though I won't be racing with them in the fall.... I like being able to post on a message board 'anyone up for a tempo tomorrow at 7:00 am?' and getting a couple 'sure' 's. There's also about 10-15 guys who are all very close in pace, close enough to find middle ground for most runs. Some of them that HAMMER tempos though, it's strange that I then beat them in races.

I do train mainly by myself though. My fiance sometimes comes to the track and runs her pace while I run mine, and she sometimes comes along on my runs on a bike. Just nice to have someone to talk to.

----

Craig[/URL" target="_blank">
    Craig's Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 4, 2006 10:24 AM (in response to shannyk43)

I run with Jesus ...

Also Carlos, Juan, Miguel and Tanya.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 21, 2007 2:56 PM (in response to shannyk43)

Seriously, the cast and crew from the gym are on "400 Beers"[/URL" target="_blank">

On the road or trails, it's just me and the wildlife.

[http://This message has been edited by randymar (edited Apr-04-2006).|http://This message has been edited by randymar (edited Apr-04-2006).]

• kzabrisk Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 25, 2005
    6. Apr 4, 2006 10:40 AM (in response to shannyk43)

I run alone.  I don't really like to talk while running so when I have run with someone I'm anti-social anyway.  It's my alone time - just me and my music.

• africancat Rookie 9 posts since
    Jan 25, 2006
    7. Apr 4, 2006 10:58 AM (in response to shannyk43)

Me by myself!!!!  I like to take my music and I don't like talking to someone when I'm running.

• NorthernElf Rookie 214 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Apr 4, 2006 11:53 AM (in response to shannyk43)

I mostly run by myself, with my music.

Sometimes I run with my DH when we can swing it (3 little kids means it's not so often). The only reason that works is that my DH used to run (he's run a couple of marathons) but doesn't anymore so he just keeps his pace with mine.

Over the years I've lifted weights, run, walk, etc. and I've just never found anyone I could rely on to show up and partner with. Before kids my DH & I used to spot each other in the gym too. Never found a gal pal...but then I'm really introverted when I work out - in the zone !

• TrailOBite Rookie 358 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    9. Apr 4, 2006 12:22 PM (in response to shannyk43)

90% alone,however I run better with others.I can get along
    with anyone when I run,and it makes the miles go faster.I
    like to run with those faster than I,to push myself,but never
    mind if someone is slower. There is a natural balance to
    running workouts,so any opportunity I get is taken,to share a
    run of any speed or distance.It's all good!

Ha-I don't usually run in my own neighborhood,because they
    all have their dogs loose.I start out alone and within one loop
    (1.3 mile loop),I can have anywhere from one to four dogs,all
    running along.That's fun until one doesn't get along,etc.I was
    known as the "woman who runs with HER dogs",and got all
    kinds of phone calls about "my dogs",so I stopped running
    at home.I don't own a dog,and never have in the 16 years we
    lived there.

• azwildkat Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Apr 4, 2006 12:54 PM (in response to shannyk43)

I run alone because I've never been able to talk and run at the same time so I feel weird running with someone else. Also, I'm pretty slow and so the few times when I've tried running with someone else I've always felt that I was holding them back, not that they ever said that was the case.

However, I just joined a local running club today, so I'm hoping that I'll occassionally be able to run with someone through that connection.

• jjavier74 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    11. Apr 4, 2006 1:00 PM (in response to shannyk43)

I mostly run alone. The same goes for my workouts. I try not to become dependent on someone else. Although every once in a while it's nice to have the company...especially during workouts for spots.

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    12. Apr 4, 2006 1:04 PM (in response to shannyk43)

I prefer running alone  ... I have to deal with other people all day teaching swimming and exercise classes and really want MY TIME ALONE at the path, haha ...

...and I love being able to listen to MY MUSIC too since I have to listen to class appropriate (mostly tripe) for my exercise classes and the family is usually watching TV or playing games at night so I don't play music at home much other than if while sitting here at the computer ....

I don't like feeling like I need to entertain anybody on my runs  ...

• ASHUNTA Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 21, 2007 2:56 PM (in response to shannyk43)

I am new to this running quest. I began a week ago. I enjoy running with others because for one reason or another it motivates me. But the only down-fall is they may run slower or faster then me which becomes frustrating or discouraging. I also have a hard time finding others to run with. But when I do it is great.

----

[http://This message has been edited by ASHUNTA (edited Apr-04-2006).|http://This message has been edited by ASHUNTA (edited Apr-04-2006).]

• DanMoriarity Rookie 805 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Apr 4, 2006 4:00 PM (in response to shannyk43)

I run with me, myself, and I. We have great converstions, even arguments. None of us want to pick up the check for the post-run drinks, though ... I have to go, I'm hearing another voice ...

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...