Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10522 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 1:55 PM by googleeye 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
and-she-ran Amateur 29 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2011 8:34 PM

Just started C25K (@W1D2) You too?

I have just started the C25K program and I am currently on W1D2 and I have found this forum. Is there anyone else at the the same stage who wants to share war stories as we work through the next 9 weeks? Experience has taught me that these things are easier if you have a shoulder to cry on and an ear to whinge in

About Me
Read more about my journey to get healthy, learn to run and find myself at And She Ran...

• iwanarun Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    1. Aug 8, 2011 4:57 AM (in response to and-she-ran)
    Re: Just started C25K (@W1D2) You too?

Hi! I started about 2 weeks ago, I completed week one and did one day of week two then my achilles tendon started hurting. I ran on the sidewalk one day and it has ruined me since. Its almost a week since I last ran I can hardly walk without limping. All this to say, that hopefully I will be able to run again this week and we will be close to schedule..... I hope. Best wishes to you!

• Abbygirl1969 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    2. Aug 8, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hello. I just started W1D1 today along with a small group that we created on FB called c25k. I think there's 5 of us so far from different states. Once we complete our 9 week training, we are planning to all get together to run a 5k together and then enjoy the sites and some good food for the place we are visiting. You can look for me on FB under Abby Remenicky and I will send you an add for the group. We make each person in the group, a group admin for each week and that person is repsonsible for keeping the group motivated...posting hints, tips, and websites.....to keep it all interesting. I just found this today and posted the link to this site as well! Good luck to you! I know we can do this!

• LisaK718 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    3. Aug 8, 2011 1:21 PM (in response to and-she-ran)
    Hi. I plan on starting C25K tomorrow. I need all of the support I can get. I started the program once before and made it half way through.
  • PaintedPiglet Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    4. Aug 8, 2011 2:40 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

I'm starting either tonight or tomorrow morning. (I'd start right this second, but it's 110 degrees outside.) I've always idealized runners and wanted to be one, but I've never been able to run more than a few minutes at a time despite never being over weight. I'm really excited about this!!

Do you think it's best to sign up for a race and set a real goal or to just get started and save that for a lot later?

~Piglet

~Piglet

• PaintedPiglet Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    8. Aug 8, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Don't give me an excuse to put this off! Haha! Although it is hot, I think now is as good as time as any to get started because I have a few weeks before school starts to attempt to get into a routine. I will absolutely have to run either late or early though. I'm not a morning person, but I'm going to attempt to get out of bed when my husband does at 5:30.

I sure hope you find a 5k! 10 would be way too much for me for a first race!

~Piglet

• LisaK718 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    9. Aug 9, 2011 5:27 AM (in response to and-she-ran)
    I stopped the C25K due to procrastination. I made it to week 5. My work schedule was crazy and I kept telling myself I would do it tomorrow. Well tomorrow never happened. That is one of the main reasons I was thrilled to find this forum. I need the motivation to make it happen today. I will be starting today....after I get a couple hours of sleep (I worked 7p-7a). I hope everyone has a great day.
  • teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    10. Aug 9, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hello,

I'm on wk 2D3 of C25K .   I would love to join you all and have someone else  close to where I am to  chat with.

I'm not a runner and I've made two whole weeks!   Best of luck everybody!

• googleeye Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    11. Aug 9, 2011 9:39 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Well, I guess I'll say hello too.  I used to run - not a lot, but I could do 5 k on the treadmill.  After about 5 yrs I'm getting back into it.  I gained about 30 lbs in the 5 yrs since I stopped running and I'm fairly digusted with myself, so I decided to do something about it.  I started on monday without the c25k program.  Then I found this forum yesterday and gave it a try today.  I downloaded the app for my ipod and I'm going to give it a go.  So I guess tomorrow is W1D2 for me.    I do have a strange work schedule - 2 weeks on and 2 off, so I hope I can maintain some sort of regularity to my runs while at work.  I do benefit from being in Canada though and not having to deal with as much heat and humidity as most of you.   Although, conversly, I do have to deal with the cold in the winter.  Especially where I work for my 2 weeks at a time.  -30 Celsius is a fairly regular occurance there by December (that's about -22 for you Americans)  and the sun sets at about 4 o'clock.  Needless to say, most of my winter running will be on the treadmill.  Anyway, I will follow your progress and hopefully be able to keep up with you.  Take care.

Aug 9, 2011
    12. Aug 10, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Well, I did W1D2 today, but seeing as how it went, I think I'm going to call it W1D3 and move on to week 2.  I did actually do 3 days of running, although the first day was not on the c25k plan.  Yesterday I did W1D1, with just my watch to keep me on track.  It was actually the same route and distance that I had run the day before, so I'll count those 2 days as 1 and 2 and today as 3.  Today I used a program that I downloaded to my ipod where the guy tells me when to run and when to walk while I listen to my own music.  I concentrated on my posture and breathing like I've read from other comments here.  Those two things seem to be my problem.  The breathing probably because I quit smoking about 4-5 months ago and this is the first excercise I've had since then.  With my posture I tend to let my head slip forward and look down, while my arms swing in a little too much of a side to side motion.  I concentrated on keeping my head up and moving my arms back and forth while breathing from my diaphram and it seemed to work really well.  I had no problems with any of the intervals and always felt like I had a little gas left in the tank when the 60 seconds was over.  We'll see how W2D1 goes.

Aug 9, 2011
    14. Aug 10, 2011 10:43 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Well, I can't tell you if it matters if you run in the morning or the afternoon.  I don't have the temperature problems most others have, living in Canada.  Like I said earlier, I work 2 weeks on and 2 off, so I generally don't wake up too early on my time off.  I usually run at about 3 in the afternoon.  I run on a trail though, through the forest, beside a river.  Very little sun gets through the trees and I never feel too hot.   I couldn't run on the street or in a gym.  I'm also fairly self conscious of running in public.  There are the odd few that I pass, going the other direction, or bikers that pass me.  But all have been very nice and said hello. 

Correcting my posture and breathing (or making an attempt at correcting it) seemed to help me a lot.  I notice that if I don't look up while I'm running, my neck gets sore and my shoulders get tight and then everything goes to hell from there.  I start to lean forward and my arms don't swing properly.  If I hold my head up and swing my arms properly, while keeping my torso centred over my hips, everything seems to come easier for some reason. 

The app I use is the C25K app from itunes.  It's from Bluefin Software, LLC.  It cost 2.99.  It has a mans voice who comes on and tells me what to do,  from the 5 min warm up, then when to run and walk for every week and day, and the 5 min cool down.  He tells me when I'm halfway as well.  Unfortunately, the program is only 20 min long.  The course I run takes me half an hour so I have to skip back a couple segments while i'm walking in order to repeat them, but that's no problem.   The best part of the app is that I can listen to my own music.

I'm glad someone else is on this thread though.  Good to hear from you.  I'll post tomorrow how W2D1 goes.  Have a good night.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points