Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

179718 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 Go to original post 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 62 Previous Next
  • just1deb Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    435. Aug 10, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

OK, it's been awhile since I've visited here. The summer's been tough - long work hours, way too hot &humid - but I'm still plugging away. I get frustrated that I'm so slow - but I take heart from a few of you who are a bit slow as well. Actually my fastest run was a "quick" two miles this morning - it was early so not as hot, and I managed a 13:30 pace. I know it's slow compared to many of you, but it's much faster than my usual 14:30-ish pace. I'm trying to increase my distance to approach a 3-mile run as the norm, but I'm currently stuck around 2.2 miles for most of my runs. In the end though, the fact is that I keep running 3 times a week - maintaining that habit is probably the most important accomplishment for me. Thanks all for the continuing encouragement and good examples!

C25K started 4/15/2011

Graduated 6/24/2011

• Paularun Pro 92 posts since
    Jul 9, 2011
    437. Aug 11, 2011 6:02 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hi Deb!

we are in the same boat- I fnished C 25K but am far from running 5K 3times a week. Jason's article has some helpful tipps:

http://strengthrunning.com/2010/06/how-to-increase-mileage/

I will follow his advice and start right off with a recovery week. teh-he-he.

• KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    438. Aug 11, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I wonder how slow you can be and still be considered running? 

If I remember correctly there was a post earlier about headbands or sweatbands that had cute sayings on them.  Can whoever that was repost the link?  The sweat and rain is crazy, but I'll take 77 degrees and raining over 91 and hot with no breeze.   Felt so good in the rain the other day I felt like I could run forever.  That lasted about 15 minutes.  =)   No matter what I feel like I do, my pace seems to be the same.  At least I've been told I'm very "steady", just really slow.  Hey Richard...I think I'm where you were in May.  Haha   *sigh* 

Kristi

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    439. Aug 11, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Just1deb - If you have been running 2.2 miles 3 times per week for awhile, you are probably physically capable of running 3 miles.  You may be having the problem that a lot of us have.  Your head may be getting in the way.  Perhaps you could add .2 miles per run and just MAKE yourself do it.  I'm sure you can, and the mental boost can be very helpful.  For me, at least, increasing distance is a mental thing more than physical.  Just a thought.

KILLO - I think the headbands are called Bondi Bands.  One thing I have found about pace is that as you increase your distance, your pace gets better on the shorter distances.  I have always run at a really steady 12 minute mile.  Then, as I have increased distance (long run of 10 miles at 12:45 pace)  Now, my 5K pace falls out at about 11 minutes.  I didn't do anything else to get the number down, it just fell on it's own.  Not sure if this is normal, but it works for me...

I ran my first double digit milage yesterday.  10 miles on a dirt trail near my house.  It was an out and back that was uphill on the way there and downhill on the way back.  I'm amazed that I can say it was 10 pretty easy miles.  My breathing was great the whole time because I kept it nice and slow.  I used Stinger energy chews (cherry blossom flavor).  Did 5 chews at mile 4 and 5 at mile 7.  Carried water and took 2 big gulps at about every mile.  This formula really worked for this run.  Oh...and the temp was about 63.  That helped too!  Also, last week I went over 20 miles for the week (only 20.3 but still...)  So, it was a good week.

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    441. Aug 11, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to just1deb)

Just1Deb, I am right there with you - at least my body is. I wish it weren't. As soon as I reach a certain spot in my run it feels like I've hit a wall, my breathing gets rough and my head gets flooded with thoughts of stopping. I argue with the voices for a while and then usually give in. When I stop I feel like crying but it's as much because I am totally spent as from disappointment. I tried to return to intervals, adding distance to them rather than time and then increasing the distance by 10% each week. My body went for it awhile but is just not cooperating right now.

Kristi, here's the site for bondi bands. http://www.bondiband.com/  I think Cate originally posted it? maybe i'm wrong. I have one that says "SLOW  It's the new fast" but there were a lot of great choices. They are super comfortable and on a regular day keep me dry, on a hot, humid day, not so much. I've been using a visor but the bondi band was enough yesterday.  

Weather here is beautiful so I'm taking off early for a run. Suppose to be resting for Saturday but the course has 40 mud obstacles. I don't see anyone doing a lot of running, particularly not me. Jeanette, I so envy you running in the Rockys in 60 degree weather and no mud. I guess it will be like that here soon enough. You are steaming ahead really quickly! Richard, I bought a Garmin 350. Should get it tomorrow from Amazon. You'll be getting my questions Sunday. J/k, I hope.

Good runs all!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    442. Aug 11, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to willinghamcm)

William and Deb, thanks! I am going to try the Garmin. I've been working with my iPhone and have had a lot of problems. It loses reception in a blink and couldn't get a true readout unless I was running on an open track, where of course I did not require any electronics to tell me how far and fast I'd run. It's probably a city vs. urban area thing and I'm not driving twenty miles just to get a clear signal so... we adjust. 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• kml0812 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    443. Aug 11, 2011 1:06 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

So i ran today, and i feel great (32 minutes / 2.7 miles)  my longest to date!  I am not sure if it is because i started PT this week.  I found out that i have very weak ankles, and my flexiblity in my anckes is HORRIBLE!  I just keep thinking, i have gone this far with all of these issues, who know what kind of runner i can become after a few weeks physical therapy!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    444. Aug 11, 2011 4:32 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, let us know how the Garmin works for you.  I usually get a good GPS signal in the suburbs with my Droid, but my music keeps quitting on me around 1.5 miles out.  Then it's just me and my thoughts.  This morning I spent over half my run listening to my breathing and counting - 1 2 in, 1 2 out  - sometimes 1 2 3 in 1 2 3 out - over and over again.  LOL  Maybe a Garmin and an iPod are the answer.

@kml  I feel your pain - I definitely have ankle issues (esp. the right ankle since the sprain/calcaneus fracture a few years ago) which surprisingly have not been aggravated by  running.  If it feels twingy (usually after increasing my distance) a little preventive icing does wonders.

Despite tired legs and a brain telling me to quit, I pushed through and got to a new personal best this morning:  3.75 miles in 42:55. I started off on the slow side of normal for me (I average somewhere between  11:00 and 11;30) and got progressively slower with each mile, but the slower I ran the better able I was to push the distance.  I think I need to embrace my pace and not think about running faster yet.   Embrace the pace!  This is very therapeutic.

If I'm going to run for more than 40 minutes I'm going to have to get up earlier to get everything done.

Tomorrow's rest day is going to feel good - if only I didn't have to go to work.  

Happy running everyone!

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    445. Aug 11, 2011 6:24 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Just popping in to say I am still here.  I finished B210K on saturday, and decided to start on Jeff Galloway half marathon training.  I am gonna do a 50 mile relay in Sept (5-7 mile legs) so I figure this will get me confortable at that distance.  At the end of B210K I was only up to ~5.3-5.5 miles, so not quite the 10K, but close enough that I know I could finish one.  The half marathon plan actually seems easier than the B210K!  There is a lot less time needed on the weekday runs, which is better for me.  Now I have to get to crosstraining a little bit.

The kids sports are starting back up again, and hockey camp (every night for a week!) through me for a loop, but I am finding ways to make it work...yesterday I ran to my sons baseball practice.  My husband went up early with the kids, and I met them there a little after.  I have to say that felt pretty good.

I am still needing to negotiate with myself to finish those runs, but I just keep breaking it into little pieces (to the edge of the develpment, to the park, another loop, yay! heading home) and that seems to help.

Keep on running!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

Jun 8, 2011
    446. Aug 12, 2011 6:04 AM (in response to Debm2011)

OMB, Deb, I do that breathing count, too. Neat to know I'm not the only one. Long time runners know exactly when they are breathing and I thought, how do they do that? Julie, your family must have been very impressed with you running to the game. What a great example you are setting!  Kml, you and I are on the same progress train. I am trying to push 30 min. I can do it indoors but have a hard time with it outdoors. I've been running a lot more frequently though and I think that's the problem. Got to start up B210k because I am really not a good self-trainer. Thanks for the article Paula, I needed that.

I am dreading tomorrow's mudathlon. There are walls and monkey bars. I didn't do those as a kid. Has anyone done one of these?

Oh, yeah, I ran 16+ miles last week, up from 10 mi. the two weeks before and i didn't lose even half a pound. I am getting so discouraged. It's a good thing running makes me happy.

Run like the wind!

Mary kay

Mary Kay

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    447. Aug 12, 2011 6:56 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hi Everyone!

I hope you don't mind me joining in...I know Mary Kay from another thread.  I've been reading all of your posts for a while now and because I've been struggling, I've been afraid to join in.

Mary Kay, what you're going through now is exactly what I've been experincing for the past few weeks.  I've hit a wall and my body has just said it's not going to take it any more.  I still run/walk everyother day and walk on the off days, but I haven't been able to increase my mileage for awhile now.  I usually do a least 2 miles.  What I have been doing lately is re-do weeks 4 5 and 6 of C25K while I'm trying to increase the mileage and my stride, since I have very short legs.  It seems to be working, however my 7 year old nephew saw me out running and has decided to run with me, so I have slowed down a little the past few days for him. He's so cute, he does not want me to get ahead of him... he'll look back and if I'm on his heals he speeds up.LOL

Oh well, I'll just keep running, sooner or later I'll master this.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    449. Aug 12, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Keep up the great work everyone!  I can't wait to get back to join you!  6 weeks after hip stress fracture diagnosis and 8 weeks after injury, I had a followup doctor appt. with xrays.  I was hoping I could at least get to a walking program, but the doctor said no, 3 more months of no weight bearing exercises.  It was definitely a fracture of the femoral neck.  Very scary. I have talked him into doing a MRI in a month to see if I can speed that up a bit. 

So I have now taken up my only option, aqua-jogging.  It is quite amusing, I strap on a flotation belt, put my i-pod in a plastic bag under my hat, and float around while doing running motions with legs and arms.  To keep inspired I listen to couch 2 5K podcast.  I really want to keep up my range of motion and some aerobics while I am in rehab, so I can get back as soon as possible.  I also have a ski trip planned in December!  I need to heal fast.

What do you call a pengiun swimming?.....Swaddling, Pladdling?

Desperation leads to invention!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...