Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11149 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2011 4:16 PM by redskymedic RSS 1 2 Previous Next
aczjohnson Pro 181 posts since
May 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2011 6:19 AM

Anyone recently start training for 10K??

I graduated from c25k last October and have been running off and on but decided to start training for a 10k.  I had an awesome thread and group of people doing it with me here and would love the same for a 10k!!

Anyone else recently start training for a 10k - if so, what program are you following?  I am doing the EI210k (ease in to 10k) vs. B210k (bridge to 10k) since I need more time to get up to speed.  Literally - lol!  I did w2d2 yesterday.

Let's do this! 

~andrea

Starting c25k 3.29.10 - Completed c25k 10.16.10

"There is no failure except in no longer trying." - Elbert Hubbard

Hank Thompson Trek and Treat (1st 5k EVER) - 10-16-10 ~ 35:01

Hank Thompson Trek and Treat 5k - 10-1-11 ~

Nashville 1/2 Marathon - 11-12-11 ~

• slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    1. Aug 10, 2011 12:17 PM (in response to aczjohnson)
    Re: Anyone recently start training for 10K??

I would like to join you. I have been running since February of this year and run anywhere from 3 - 5 miles 3 - 4 times a week. I would love to be able to run a 10k eventhough there are very few of them around my area.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2. Aug 10, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to aczjohnson)

I think I'm probably about where you are too.  I am looking to begin training for a half-marathon that will take place next May; I wanted to start on it right away because I think it will take me extra time to build up to that distance.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• FightForFit Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    3. Aug 10, 2011 1:07 PM (in response to aczjohnson)

After a summer of several 5k races, I'm aiming to build up to a 10k too. I began running in May of this year and jumped right into 5k races. I signed up for the beginner 10k training plan today and will start tomorrow!

Aug 9, 2011
    5. Aug 12, 2011 10:02 AM (in response to aczjohnson)

Today was w1d2 for me. Yesterday I completed a twenty minute run and today I ran for 30 minutes and it felt great! The weather has finally cooled off a bit, which makes running feel a lot easier than it did a week ago. The program I am following is the beginner 10k plan through active advantage. The first week consists of 4 days on and three off. The workouts are (Day 1) one twenty minute easy run (Day 2) one thirty minute, easy but hilly run (Day 3) one easy 30 minute run (Day 4) walk 10 min, easy run for 35 min, walk 10, then complete four 100 meter 'strides', where you run fast but relaxed for 100 meters then jog for 30 seconds and repeat.

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    6. Aug 12, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to aczjohnson)

Hi All, my ultimate goal is a half marathon in January. As part of my training I am planning to run/walk a 10K in November with another in December. I only got off the couch 10 weeks ago after basically 18+ years of very little exercise, plus I hated running. I signed up to run the half in mid-July with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training and began training on my own about 4 weeks ago now. Last Saturday we began official training with our coach (I live away from the live training so I do the virtual program). I'm about halfway to the 10K now, having just passed a 3.5 mile run/walk in 35 minutes (definitely not fast, but I'm not in it for the speed) so hopefully I'll be good to go come November barring injury. Good luck to us all!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    9. Aug 15, 2011 6:20 AM (in response to aczjohnson)

I am using the Hal Higdon Novice Half training program.  When I looked through it, it looked like a very good fit for me.  Since the Half that I want to do is so far away I figured if I need to repeat a week here or there I have plenty of time to do so  .  My first week was last week and I did fine, except I didn't have time to do a 4 mile run this past Sunday, I only did 3.  The good thing is, my 3 mile run felt much easier than in the past so I know if I would have had the time I could have done the 4.

I have the feeling that time is going to be a factor for me to work with as training progresses to longer and longer sessions.  I run after work during the week so when I get into more miles it means that I'll be getting home later and later.  I haven't figured out how I'm going to plan for that yet.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Aug 9, 2011
    10. Aug 15, 2011 8:54 AM (in response to aczjohnson)

The program doesn't seem bad so far since it is based on time and not  miles. An "easy" (none of them are really easy) run for me is somewhere  around an 11 minute mile. Which means that a twenty minute run is a  little shy of two miles. So the distance is pretty minimal. I think the program would work the same for those who chose to walk/run for each of the designated time periods.  I keep  signing up for 5k races, because it keeps me motivated. My goal is to be  consistent, but I seem to have a hard time with consistency unless I  have a no excuses system - like race day - to keep me on target. I completed the c25k about three years ago, then took 2.5 years off, so I knew I needed a different system this time!

Aug 9, 2011
    11. Aug 15, 2011 9:07 AM (in response to OshCat)

Hi OshCat, I just checked out the Hal Higdon Novice Half training program and it looks like a good, challenging program. Maybe you could try moving some workouts to the morning. I know that once the fall comes, I am going to have to switch my runs to the morning anyway since it will get too dark here in the evenings. I hadn't thought of attempting a 13.1 mile race, but maybe I will take a look and see if I can find one next year in my neighborhood. Continuing to up the miles is a great way to stay motivated. Keep up the good work!

• megan871 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    12. Aug 20, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to aczjohnson)

I'm training for a 10k on September 18th....I did a 5k at the end of june at around 28:30 or so and did a 4 mile road race a couple of weeks ago at 35:45.  I've only run 6 miles once and did 5 miles last week and again yesterday.  I'm hoping to do one or two shorter runs each week (3ish miles) and one long run on Fridays...this is in addition to my step aerobics and weight training classes.  They give us free beer and pizza at the end of the 10k so I think that will be some pretty good motivation lol! Good luck with your training

Meg

• kwoos Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    14. Aug 23, 2011 2:04 PM (in response to aczjohnson)

Hello!  I just started a 10K training program for a race on October 15, 2011 using Hal's 10K program utilizing stretching, cross training and etc. To this point, I have only ran one 5K race and hold a 30:14 (I didn't train for this either).  It was a race that I kept avoiding and my family insisted I enter at the last minute.  Fitness and cardio were my strong points, not running (different elements).  However, running holds a different place now and I am increasing my weekly mileage.

I am so excited and nervous to do a 10K, but believe I can.  It would be nice to communicate with others who are working through similar obstacles.  If my kids can run cross country with ease, then mom can do it too!

". . . and let us run with perseverance, the race marked out for us" Hebrews 12:1

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...