Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2504 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 5:46 AM by everjewel RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Paularun Pro 92 posts since
Jul 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2011 1:06 PM

Driving to a run?

Hello!

during the summer months I live near a perfect running area, a huge park. In fall/winter and spring it would take me 30 mins (running) to get there. I plan on going there by bike because I don't want to run in the streets where so many cars pollute the air.

How do you handle it? Do you start straight from the house-door. no matter how busy the traffic is on the road next to you?

Or do you even drive to a track by car?

I would love to get the picture, how you arrive at your running track - be it a track, a park or on the road.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Aug 10, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to Paularun)
    Re: Driving to a run?

If the place where you run is as beautiful as you describe, it's definitely worth driving or biking to get there.  I'm lucky enough to live within a couple miles of several great running trails and a high school track, so I'm happy just walking out the door and heading out to them on foot.  Living in Southern California, I have no choice but to deal with cars and pollution.  Most of the places I run are either roads, or accessible by roads, so facing traffic is a given.

Given a choice, I'd avoid the cars, for sure!  Good luck, and happy running!

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 10, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to Paularun)

I like to vary my runs so sometimes I just walk out the door and go for it.  Sometimes I'll drive to a particular spot because I want a change of scenery.  The track is close enough that I can do my warmup run on the way there.  If I need to do a bike ride and a run and I could find a good place to bike to, lock up my bike and go for my run, I'd do that.  I don't think it matters how you get to your run, just that you keep running someplace that makes you want to run more!

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    4. Aug 11, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to Paularun)

I traveled to Vienna in December of 2004, and while it was chilly it didn't rain the whole time I was there.  I wasn't running back then, but I remember how beautiful everything was out there, even in wintertime.  If I could go back there as a runner, I'd have a blast.

...You know what I would do first of all, is go back and run the trails in Badn at the edge of the Vien Wald--so beautiful!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    5. Aug 11, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to Paularun)

I normally leave from home and run out on the streets, using the first few blocks to warm up.

When I have a specific workout to do I drive to the gym (20 minutes each way).

I normally don't run on busy streets, but when I do, I choose ones with a sidewalk and run on that.  When I'm at my parents' place in the country, I run along the highway with very little of a shoulder and run smartly/defensively with a knowledge of whose around me and with an earbud in only one ear so I can hear the animals and cars/vehicles as they approach  behind me--I run against hte traffic, wear bright colored tops, but once I was running down the hill, I heard the car coming over the hill I had just climbed and then I hear something that freaked. me. out.  a car passed the other one just as it was getting to me.  No real time to react to that!   I just kept hearing the cars and thinking it was closer than it should have been--and edged my way over to the shoulder a little more.   Out of state jerk who was using the backroad as a speedway.

I also always run with my cell phone and Road ID.

ETA: I'd definitely drive to run the grounds shown in your photos!  

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    6. Aug 11, 2011 1:06 PM (in response to Paularun)

Guess I am lucky to have a few places in which to run close enough to me.  I can run in my neighborhood for shorter runs, 3-4 miles.  There is a big park two miles away which has a walking/running path around it that is almost 1.5 miles in distance and has a marker every quarter mile from mile 0 to 1.25 miles - throw in a small loop around a parking lot and it's exactly 1.5 miles.  I usually run to this location, so right away I have to run at least four miles, plus any laps around the park I decide to do.

About 8 miles away is the beach and along the coast there is a running/bike path that goes for dozens of miles.  Many different running clubs and high school/junior college running teams have painted mile markers on the path so you gotta pick which one to follow.  I do have to drive to this location before I run as I am still a beginner runner in my opinion.  The track workouts are at the high school about a half mile from the beach so idrive there too.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    7. Aug 11, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to Paularun)

I'm also lucky enough to live in an area that allows me to run straight from my door.  Some of my longer runs sometimes take me on roads, but I just run against traffic so I always know what's coming at me and stay to the shoulder.  I think you would be fine running to your destination.   A lot of races are done in populated areas with traffic.

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• RunningQueen26 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    8. Aug 11, 2011 3:55 PM (in response to Paularun)

I am lucky I live in a City that has lots of walking/running trails.  I have a 5 minute walk to two trails.  I usually run both.  I only have to cross a couple of streets and rarely see any traffic.  I like it because they have wide very level sidewalks.  One is around a park with grass fields the other is a lake.  The lake is my favorite but the park is all flat. I do think I'm going to drive to a walking path soon that is about two miles away.  I want a change of scenery.   

Started C25K - June 17, 2011

Completed C25K - August 21, 2011

First 5K: September 17, 2011 (Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer Oktoberfest Run) - 34:44 (avg 11:10 a mile)

Best 5K run in 2011 - 10/24/11 - 30:34 (avg 9:51 a mile)

October 29, 2011 (Trek or Treat 5K) - 31:56 (avg 10:14 a mile)

Personal Record - 1/29/12 - 5K - 28:27 (avg 9:12 a mile)

March 3, 2012 (Allen Eagle Run 5K) - 31:20 (avg 10:06 a mile)

March 31, 2012 (Firefly Run 5K) - 31:15 (avg 10:01 a mile)

August 12, 2012 (Hottest Half 10K) - 1:13:18 (avg 11:48 a mile)

October 27, 2012 (Dallas 13.1 Marathon) - 2:41:36 (avg 12:20 a mile)

November 22, 2012 (Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miles) - 1:33:08 (avg 11:38 a mile)

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    9. Aug 11, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to Paularun)

I'm happy to say I live about 100 yards from a railroad cut that was torn up and converted into a paved bike trail.  It goes straight through our little town, is about 6.5 miles in length and mostly cuts through wooded areas with a few hills and bridges.  I'm just about done with C25K, and even this lovely trail is getting a little stale, so I'm looking into driving to some local state parks for longer distances.

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    10. Aug 11, 2011 8:24 PM (in response to Paularun)

During the week, I run in the early morning before work, and time is short. I'm happy to just head out the front door and run around my neighborhood. Fortunately I live in a safe suburb with relatively little traffic. My neighborhood is almost entirely rolling hills - very little flat ground - most of the streets are about 2-3% inclines, and some significantly higher - so I get plenty of hill training. During the summer, the air is also reasonably clean in the early morning, which is helpful since I live just north of Los Angeles.

On weekends, when I have a little more time, I may drive to find some flat ground (the nearest flat area is about 3 miles away), or to the gym if I want to use the treadmill for some reason (about 7 miles away).

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    11. Aug 12, 2011 12:15 PM (in response to crl8686)

Paularun, what a beautiful park! You must really enjoy running there!

I live in Arizona, where everything is miles away from everything else. There’s a park about 5 miles from my house that I often drive to, built along an old river course. It’s very green with ponds, a nice paved path, and olive and eucalyptus trees. It attracts a lot of water birds like herons and Canada geese, as well as odd human “birds” – roller bladers, disc golfers, some of the weirdest bicycles I’ve ever seen, etc.

This time of year though it gets hot so early that I don’t want to waste time driving anywhere – I just step out my door and “go”. I live in the suburbs and like to run along the canals and smaller streets. I don’t like the major streets as well because there’s so much traffic – it’s probably not dangerous as long as I stay on the sidewalk, but all that noise makes me jumpy.

-Nan

Attachments:

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    12. Aug 12, 2011 8:11 PM (in response to Paularun)

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.  I live in a rural area, so I just walk out my door and go. There are several optional back country roads to take, so I'm able to switch up my runs quite a bit. I also like to run in town w/ friends, so sometimes I do that for a change, but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have to deal w/ traffic and traffic lights.

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...