Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2994 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM by childoftheking06
oythebrave Rookie 7 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2011 3:39 AM

Ankle Weights for jogging....need help.

I have purchased two types of ankle weights.  The first type was made by Gold's Gym (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-10-lb.-Pair-Adjustable-Ankle-Weights/14894523?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14894523)   I started with 2 pouches in each leg.  They lasted for about a week.  The seam tore on one and when i got home from jogging, i had two pouches in one and onlly 1 pouch in the other.   Next, i purchased velco leg weights by Fitness gear (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3779297&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox)  No pouches in these.  Each one was filled with 5 pounds of little beads.  Wore them twice.  Once again, the seam tore and all the beads on one poured out.   Naturally, i didn't save the receipt or box for either one.

I need to know what type i can buy that'll stand up to jogging.  I don't want to spend another $25 on a set and have them tear open while jogging.  For now, i am back to using the Gold's Gym set.  I used tons of duct tape to seal of the seams.  Look bad but they do the job.  Any recommendations.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    1. Feb 17, 2011 5:32 AM (in response to oythebrave)
    Re: Ankle Weights for jogging....need help.

Of course you can make up your own mind about running with ankle weights, but be aware that it may not be such a good idea.  There are a lot of intricate biomechanics involved in running and adding an unnatural strain to your legs while running is potentially harmful.   Running in and of itself is sufficient to achieve your fitness and performance goals.  I don't think it is worth risking an injury (and making an enjoyable activity less enjoyable!) to wear ankle weights.

The Dangers of Exercising with Ankle Weights

The additional effort that goes into exercising with ankle weights can actually make you weaker and more prone to injury. Ankle weights cause added stress to joints, especially the knees. Torn ligaments and pulled muscles in the calves, thighs, and ankles can also be caused by exercising with ankle weights. According to the Mayo Clinic, walking with ankle weights changes how a person normally walks. This destabilizes balance and increases the risk of tripping and falling.  An easy rule of thumb to follow is that ankle weights and aerobic exercises do not mix. Although ankle weights seem perfect for running and walking exercises, many health experts agree that walking with ankle weights is a risky activity.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Feb 17, 2011 5:39 AM (in response to Marykb)

Stop running with ankle weights, your chance for long term injury far outweight your benefit!!!

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    4. Feb 17, 2011 9:47 AM (in response to oythebrave)

oythebrave wrote:

Hmmmm....two responses say to not use ankle weights when jogging.  How do i get faster then?  I'd have thought that resistance increases speed and when the time comes for a 5k i'd be faster w/o them since i was going to spend weeks wearing them.

You can't increase endurance by continually running the same distance and you can't increase speed by continually running the same pace.  If you want to get faster it takes speed work.  Tempo runs and fartleks.  Google them to learn more.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Feb 17, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to oythebrave)

By adding miles and intensity to your training.  Lots of dos and don't to help stay injury free here are a couple:

Good pair of shoes

Don't add more than 10% increase of miles in a week

After about 2 weeks of increases of miles drop back down in miles for a week then go back up the next week

Don't add speed work and increase in miles in the same week

Have fun

• ThunderDomeRunning Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    6. Feb 17, 2011 10:12 AM (in response to oythebrave)

Have to agree with the couple of previous responses. Stay away from the ankle weights..maybe just use the weights for some mini leg lifts at home but dont run with them-you will mess up your stride and things can get ugly during a run if and when you get tired (starting to favor and get bad stride habits).  Depending on how new you are to running there are several different ways to attack just becoming a stronger/faster runner. Good luck.

matt

www.thunderdomerunning.com

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    8. Jan 7, 2014 6:02 AM (in response to oythebrave)

Please, please don't do this!  I know you have good intentions, and believe that these ankle weights will help you get results faster, but you are begging for an injury!!!  You will get results from perserverance.  If you want to incorporate weights into your workouts, jog one day, and do some weight training or body resistance workouts the next day.  Alternate between the two - jog one day, weights the next, but please don't combine them :-(  We don't want you to get hurt, thats all!  We all want to encourage you to keep going, and to get results, but this is not the way to go, I promise!

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • CRAZ8 Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 12, 2010
    9. Feb 17, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to oythebrave)

I recently did a gait analysis with a video camera to track my leg movement.  The difference between barefoot and wearing shoes, for me, when walking was striking when played back

The extra momentum from having shoes on my feet pull my feet out in front and cause a much bigger heel strike and over extension of the knee, and extra extension of the ham string.  My shoes are standard training shoes, so weigh less than 1lb each, and are probably too heavy for me!

Jan 2011 - Bermuda International Race Weekend 10K - 1:22:22

• childoftheking06 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 12, 2011
    11. Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM (in response to oythebrave)

yeah dont use the ankle weights for running  they can be used to help build resistance in cardio or walking but i use them as wrist weights

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points