Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1228 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 1:27 PM by SJMisRunning
SJMisRunning Amateur 8 posts since
Aug 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM

Just started today (8/12/11) - Wk1D1

Hi there! In a quest to get healthier & lose some weight, I decided to start running. I did it this afternoon & am proud but also a bit discouraged. I did 7 of the 8 1 minute runs. I needed to stop a few times so I'm not giving myself credit for the full things. But, I got started after putting it off for a few months. Of course, I choose to start in 90+ degree heat. I'm really going to try & stick with it.

Would love to have some words of encouragement to keep me going. Or, if is anyone else just started in the last day or so, would love to join in your chat so that we can keep each other motivated.

Thanks to all & glad to have this site. You people in weeks 8 are inspiring me. I'm so hopeful I can make it that far. Heck, I'll be excited to actually make it to Week 1, Day 2 and get through the whole thing.

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    1. Aug 12, 2011 3:21 PM (in response to SJMisRunning)
    Re: Just started today (8/12/11) - Wk1D1

I started 7/31.

Do what you can when you can and you will be surpised at how well it goes.  Keep it simple......

Good for you for starting in the heat and just doing what you can.  I started when it was REAL hot....then it cooled off, and I could see how much better I could do.  More importantly, I gave myself credit for ANYTHING I did in the heat and not making excuses.

Keep up the good work....the hardest part (so far) has been starting.

• Carla JV Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 3:21 PM (in response to SJMisRunning)

Good for you!  Keep going!!  I just started too--yesterday I did W1D2.  I'm fortunate to have an experienced runner friend who's training with me.  It really helps to have someone along to keep me going.  I'm really really slow, but I figure that's okay!  Don't give up!!

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    3. Aug 13, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to SergeStorms)

Exactly like what was said, give yourself credit for starting.  Like my husband says (unemployed right now) "anything beats a blank" meaning anything you get or do now is beating doing nothing before you started.  You are building up your endurance, your heart, your lungs.  All this work will pay off and you will see results soon.

• MugsyMac Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 16, 2011 1:00 PM (in response to SJMisRunning)

Congrats for getting out there and doing it! Starting in that kind of heat was pretty rough but now I see you completed W3D1. Way to go!

Just keep at it. If it's brutal outside, try to use a treadmill or an indoor track but stick with it!

Good luck!

Stuff About Me:

5/2/11 RNY Gastric Bypass surgery (the day my life changed forever!)

Completed Races:

9/18/11 Saratoga Palio (my first 5k)

10/2/11 The ROC 5k Run

10/22/11 The Great Pumpkin 5k

Upcoming Races:

5/5/13 Twin Lights Half Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...