Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1310 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 6:24 PM by ManikSona
jenahfah Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2011 1:00 PM

Training for a marathon with mild injury

I have two months to go before my marathon and my longest run so far is 10 miles. This is my second marathon, but I'm nowhere near running form like last year when I ran my first marathon. Has anybody trained intensely for the last two months before a marathon? I have a mild heel injury, and been cross training with swimming. I haven't figured out if it's plantar fasciitis or calcaneal nerve syndrome, but when my heel hits the ground, there's a pain that feels more like I'm hitting a nerve. Anyway, I'm wondering if others have had similar experience trying to "catch up" to their training schedule and what do you think is the longest run I should do before the actual marathon? I may be able to reach 16-18 miles before the race...but wonder if that would be enough during race day.

I thought I could postpone the marathon till next year, but it's the Chicago marathon and they don't allow that.

Thanks!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 11, 2011 6:18 AM (in response to jenahfah)
    Re: Training for a marathon with mild injury

A lot depends on your injury, how much it lets you do, and what kind of running shape you are in otherwise.  If you've been running 20-25 mpw anyway, you could do 12-14-16-18-20 before your taper.  16-18 would probably let you finish but it wouldn't be fun.  Same for your weekly miles.  If you're not putting in the miles, 26 is a long, long way.  Cross-training is good but it doesn't replace time on your feet.

If you're not putting in the weekly miles, I would suggest recovering from your injury and running a different marathon next year.

Len

Len

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 6:24 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Training for a marathon with mild injury

It definitely does depend on the injury.  Have you thought about going to a physical therapist or an athlete center to have your injury evaluated?  They may be able to recommend a treatment plan or a custom support to ease your pain.  Be careful though that you don't injure it further, it's not worth the time it may take you to recover from a more serious injury.

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...