Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8388 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 1:55 PM by googleeye RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • googleeye Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 10, 2011 10:54 PM (in response to googleeye)
    Re: Just started C25K (@W1D2) You too?

I just had a look at your blog.  Pretty impressive.  I'll be following your journey to fitness.  Hopefully it will inspire mine.  Good luck.

• SarahP321 Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    17. Aug 10, 2011 11:56 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

hey all, nice to meet you! i started last week, let my work get the best of me, and started again last saturday. are y'all running 3 days a week? the week 1 program isn't killing me so i'm tempted to bump it up a notch. except that this is the first time i've ever really enjoyed running, and solely because it's NOT killing me. so maybe i stay put and follow the program posted by the experts.

so glad to meet more newbies!

@and-she-ran - that meet-up is a great idea! thanks for the inspriration.

sarahp

• Vertigoagain Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    18. Aug 11, 2011 1:25 AM (in response to SarahP321)

Hi all, I just started this and didn't even manage the first day

But as I have a health issue and am overweight I thought anything is better than nothing , right?

I did go out with the local Hash on Monday and ended up running a fair bit in the beginning but it tailed off to walking mostly at the end but it was for about an hour.

Yesterday I went for 15 secs running, 30secs walking for 15mins, then I found Couch to 5K.

I managed my warm up and 4 out of the 8 intervals, 60s running, 90s walking. Is this OK? I plan to do this and then try the full lot next week, taking it up in easier stages.

I quit this morning because, 1/ I started getting dizzy (inflammation of a nerve in my neck, would progress to eyes wobbling and throwing up, if I'm not careful) 2/ my legs felt heavy and my form was dropping from the Pose running form I am trying out.

Great work on your own runs and progress. I want to make it past the 4 week mark that everyone seems to find a watershed. I have 70lbs to lose (1/3rd bodyweight)  so need to keep going on a steady basis.

BTW I live in UK

Aug 11, 2011
    21. Aug 11, 2011 5:18 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Thanks, And-she-ran

I've check out a few of the latest blogs of yours. Wow, such nice writing . I'll read the rest when I have time.

Thanks for your encouragement, I know how you feel about people looking.

A small trick I learnt recently (which allowed me to go to the HASH club without any trepidation) was to look at a loved one and note how I felt. Then do the same for a complete stranger and an enemy.

Then look at a complete stranger with the same attitude/feelings you have when looking at a loved one and an enemy, the same way as a stranger.

It's weird but I don't worry about how I look as much when I'm out running. Isn't the brain odd?

I've been running around a neighbouring street (they don't know me there and won't see me on a regular basis) and in a tarmac five-a-side football enclosure. I think I may need to use the technique again before I hit the public park. There are't many runners there, mostly dog walkers and couples.

Although I'm not running much. I've just realised I've been out three days out of four! Maybe I need a little rest and wait until Saturday

W1D1 half programme down, looking forward to W1D2 half programme! Next week maybe W1D1 in its entirety

I've just downloaded RunDouble, a free app for my HTC Android Phone. Fingers crossed it works ok!

• tigress Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Aug 11, 2011 7:47 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hey, guys. Hope I can join the party. I am a 26 yearold grad student who has gotten WAY out of shape (mostly due to stress and snacking). Anyway, after working out with my sister for the first time in years, I've decided to give this program a shot. I just finished W1D2 a few hours ago. The bad: I'm am seriously unconditioned, lol. I never thought running a minute straight could be so difficult. The good: I feel amazing, refreshed, and really proud of myself.

Hope we can all encourage each other!

• Abbygirl1969 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    24. Aug 12, 2011 8:23 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Good morning and she ran! I love your name! No..it doesn't matter if you can run a 5k with us later. It only matters that we get moving. I can actually say that at the age of 42, I physically feel better when I exercise. I used to be in the army and run all the time, but I've been out of the army for a long time and allowed myself to get out of shape. I'm ready again to train! I just completed w1d3 and I do Zumba! Zumba is cause of my love for dancing and learning new routines though as opposed to exercise. You can locate me on FB under Foxxibrown32@aol.com. I will have to go change my settings. Look fwd to getting to know you and motivating one another! We are CAN DO women. We can do this:)))

• SJMisRunning Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 12, 2011
    25. Aug 12, 2011 1:37 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Is it too late for me to join in? I just did Day 1 today. Feeling a bit disappointed & proud. I've been putting this off & putting it off. But, I started today. While I could not do all of the 8 1 minutes runs, I'd say I did 7 of them. I had to take a break for 1 of them & then admittely walked the last 15 seconds of 1. So I give myself credit for 7 of them.

Which C25K do you all use?

I have the one from Apple called Get Running.

• aaj79 Expert 47 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    26. Aug 12, 2011 1:58 PM (in response to Abbygirl1969)

Hi Abby! I just sent you a friend request (from Aubrie) on Facebook - just so you don't get creeped out. I"m a little ahead of you guys but would like to join the Facebook group if you'll accept someone who's a couple of weeks ahead!

(I just finished W3D1)

- A

Started C25K 8/1/2011

Music That Heals 5k: 9/25/2011

Coney Island Turkey Trot 5k: 11/20/2011

• Abbygirl1969 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    28. Aug 13, 2011 7:22 AM (in response to aaj79)

Good morning....can you send the add request again? I didn't approve it because I didn't know who it was an am just now seeing yoour message on here. The group we have online is slow going. No one posts anything much besides me, but maybe if we get more people that are actually running on there we can get it up and going:)) I completed w1d3 yesterday and I ran inton the person that introduced me to the program on the track. She is now training for the 10k! Just keep moving and training even if you don't complete all the sets....keep moving and you will get better. It's even ok to repeat the weeks...just wanted everyone to know! We are can do women. We CAN DO this! Hope everyone has a great day! Warmest Regards, Abby!

Aug 11, 2011
    29. Aug 13, 2011 10:19 AM (in response to Abbygirl1969)

Couldn't wait for W1D2 to arrive (although I've still to complete W1D1 properly) and My alarm failed to go off. Luckily there was still time to do a run.

I wasn't keen though. I just wanted to be an instant success. Reading and-she-ran's blog made it sound like there was going to be pain and suffering everyday and I wasn't sure I was up to that.

Nevertheless I had a new app on my HTC Wildfire Android to test out.

RunDouble: The free version get's you to week two and logs your route via GPS and allow you to progress to other post-5k programmes.  £0.99 for the upgrade it seems.

But I found that my little five aside football court is too small to register properly, so after two laps I hit the street (just around a block to give the GPS a chance). I'll see what happens Monday with my times after a proper routed and GPS track.

The GOOD NEWS

I completed the 8 intervals!!! The music and voice cues helped me to focus soley on my form, lifting my feet from the floor towards my butt as quickly as possible.

Here are the numbers.

1.12 miles: Pace (ex warmup/warmdown) 16:32m/mile: Fastest interval 12:21m/mile: Longest interval 0.08 miles.

I hope I can get a full W1D2 done on Monday now.

Keep it up everybody and BTW these apps are great, just like a little personal trainer. The app I used is loud enough to be heard hand-held on my Wildfire and the little map of my track shows the warmup/down, walking and running interval in different colours.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points