Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10584 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 1:55 PM by googleeye Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 13, 2011 10:16 PM (in response to and-she-ran)
    Re: Just started C25K (@W1D2) You too?

Hi!

Sounds like everybody is off to a great start!  I just finished W3D1 and completed my first 3 min. run.  I remeber when 60 sec runs were hard!  I'm really excited about this!
    How are you all doing?

• Vertigoagain Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    31. Aug 13, 2011 10:32 PM (in response to teacherintraining)

Well done Teacherintraining.

I'm inspired by all the posts where people are achieving more and that the easy 'hard' stuff they don't find so hard after all.

Looking forward to keeping it up to reach that 3min run!

• runlindy Expert 49 posts since
    Jul 2, 2011
    33. Aug 14, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to Abbygirl1969)

Hi All,

This group caught my eye as you are all just beginning & it seems as though I was just there myself. I am in the group July 4th start C25K an am now on week 7!

First I want to say you all can do this!!!! We had many many people join the group but only about 7-8 of us are still posting our progress. Not sure if the others stopped running or don't post but I'm assuming they stop running because the rest of us look to each other for support each week as we post our great runs & not so great runs & it really gets you through it. I have never desired to be a runner & tried many different ways to exercise from aerobic DVD's, pilates, walking etc but would soon dread doing them. I've always battled with a stubborn 10-15 pounds (I know it doesn't sound like much weight but to me it is to keep it off) and I saw my daughter who is in college lose weight & shape up by running. I thought I was too old to start but I read if you can walk you can run & it gave instructions on doing intervals which I started. My co-wroker then told me about this program which is very similar & I have been doing it & proud of myself for sticking to it & I'm really enjoying it & looking forward to the challenge of he next run. I haven't lost a single pound which is frustrating but I am very much firming up & my close fit loser & I am told weight loss will come after a while. I haven't been dieting but I eat pretty healthy with an occasional treat. Anyway...stick to it everyone & keep posting & you will be glad you did!

Abby, I looked you up on Facebook & tried to add you as a friend to join your goup but it didn't give a place to put a note that it usually does for me to say that I am doing C25K & I want to join your group. Sounds like fun!

Linda

• teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    34. Aug 14, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to Vertigoagain)

Vertigoagian,

I'm sure your doing great!  3 min runs are the beginning of wk 3.  I thought I'd never get there, but I did and so will you!  As some one told me, just keep running, running, running.

• NotBornTorun Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    35. Aug 14, 2011 11:36 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

I'm just starting to wonder exactly how many terrible training days I can have. I mean, I used to be a sprinter... WHY IS IT SO HARD TO START FROM THE BASICS?

Aug 11, 2011
    36. Aug 15, 2011 12:43 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Not sure how to do this quote thing but And-she-ran, shall we trade apologies I didn't mean to sound like your blog put me off; it didn't it is inspiring that someone is finding the little daily battles just challenging enought to keep going and that progress is being made on a steady basis.

I tried a new route this morning [W1D2, yes I made it to a whole day two, too, twit-twoo] because I wanted to get better GPS stats but it seems to have messed up 1 running interval by 0.02mile [at my stage these inches [35 yds} are important

After running session 3 My achilles on the inside of my right foot suddenly hurt and I couldn't push off from my toes. Should I quit? Possibly. Did I quit? No. I walked carefully until it eased and then ran slightly differently. I hope it does not inflame too much. Did I complete all the 8 sessions? YES!! It's only slightly tender to the touch now.

W1D2 [including railway bridge twice]

1.13miles 0.01 more than W1D1

Pace 16.25m/mile 0:07m faster

Overall time 18:30 same

Fastest interval 12:34m/mile 0:13m slower (steadier now)

Longest interval 0.09m 0.01m longer
    Total distance including warmup/down 1.64m 0.03m more

Now eating my huge bowl of watermelon and looking forward to going out hashing this evening (maybe walking only) and resting up until Thursday!

Keep those runs coming in.

Aug 11, 2011
    37. Aug 15, 2011 12:52 AM (in response to NotBornTorun)

NotBornTorun wrote:

I'm just starting to wonder exactly how many terrible training days I can have. I mean, I used to be a sprinter... WHY IS IT SO HARD TO START FROM THE BASICS?

Going too fast. Apparently, this is the hardest thing sprinters have to learn, to go slow for distance and endurance.

And to not be afraid to repeat sessions.

Chin up!

• apieceofenergy Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 15, 2011
    38. Aug 15, 2011 3:12 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

I'm actually about to start, either this evening or tomorrow (Tuesday,) I'm waiting on my new shoes to come in, I managed to tear the stitching out of the sides of my old ones from wearing shoes too narrow, so I went to a store Friday and they were very helpful, but my shoes (needing to be 4Es) had to be ordered. They should be in today, though. I'm pretty excited to start this program, though I have a few problems. On the heel to buttock stretch I can't actually grab my leg behind me, I'm not very limber, so I'm working with what i can do to stretch without hurting myself.

Aug 11, 2011
    39. Aug 15, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to apieceofenergy)

Welcome apieceofenergy

Check out Pose Running Method

Also if you can't get your heel to your buttock, PRESS you foot against a wall at knee height behind you and concentrate on trying to straighten your leg whilst straightening your upper body and pushing your hips forward so a gentle stretch is found in the front thigh.

Only do this when you are warmed up and only AFTER your run, not before [except under supervision of a remedial therapist]. Stretches are for after runs, warmups are for before.

Resistive stretching is brilliant see Bob Cooley.

• SJMisRunning Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 12, 2011
    40. Aug 15, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Did Week 1, Day 2 yesterday and felt great. I did it early in the morning and when I was half way through it started to pour rain. It got me more motivated. I liked it a lot & was able to do all of the runs this time. I will most likely repeat a couple of days before moving up to Week 2 just so I take it at my own pace. I tried at least doing 1 run for the 1.5 minutes to see if I could it. I had so much energy yesterday & felt wonderful. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Aug 11, 2011
    43. Aug 15, 2011 11:58 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

On a small pause now until my achilles stops being sore. After my run yesterday I planned to just go and meet the Hashers (drinking club that runs) at their weekly meet. Well I got dragged in going out with them (in the walking gang, or in my case hobbling).

Bad move.

It was 6.6 miles and they hadn't marked the 1.5 mile shortcut either. Got back after dark after 1.5hours of hobbling. Still achilles is still no sorer today (though still difficult to walk) Checking up on the ne I did the absolute worst thing for it Ah well at least the walk was good for my general fitness.

No more running due until Thursday anyway, so keep your fingers crossed I'll recover for W1D3.

Great reports from the rest of you, keep it up!

• skinnymom139 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    44. Aug 16, 2011 5:12 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hi, all.. I started this i think at about the time this thread started, but I just found this forum.  I've been walking forever, but was never able to make the leap to running. I love this C25K program. I'm on Week 3, and should complete the 9 weeks by the end of Sept if I can keep on keepin' on as they say. I use a couple free aps for my smart phone to help me time the intervals and keep track of how far I've gone. Endomondo is really cool because i can run different courses and trails and still know how far, and it also tracks pace and aprox. calories used. the other one is A HIIT interval timer.. it's really flexible for the weeks in the middle.

My last training run was the first time I had to run for 3 minutes. I thought that thing would never beep. but on the second round, I didn't even notice I'd gone 3 minutes. Wierd, huh?

I signed up for a 5k race in my neighborhood at the end of October. I'm running on trails till I can run a full 5K, then I'll start running on the course, which has hills.

Running today: it will be my 2nd day of week 3.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points