Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1367 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 11:17 AM by Julia66 RSS
littlegirltx Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2011 4:02 AM

Kinda New - Need Help with Training

Hello!  I am training for my 2nd half-marathon in September.  My first half marathon was December '09, time was 2:42.  I'm experiencing a couple of challenges training and desperately looking for assistance.

I'm using Jeff Galloway's half training plan.  My run days are Sunday (long run), Tuesday (intervals and/or hill work), Thursday (maintenance).  I'm in Texas and we have major heat issues going on right now.  On Sundays, I do my long run in the mornings before church.  Here shortly (around 6am), I'm headed out to try to do 8 miles before the sun becomes blazing.  Even in the mornings, the temp is in the low-80's.  At night, while there is still light, the temp is mid-90's.  For myself and my son, it's too hot.

I'm a single Mom with no one to watch my son while I run, so he's always with me.  I try to keep Tuesdays to either the gym's treadmill or the park's hills.  Thursdays is the gym's treadmill.  Sunday mornings I have him up with me on his bike.  He's only 10 and the last long run we did was 6.75 miles and that was a bit difficult for his legs.  I'm not sure we will be able to do all 8 miles this morning and even after this week when the miles really start going up, it really will not work for him.

All of that said, is it okay if I split my long runs on Sunday, just until the closer to the end of the summer?  I was thinking I could do as much as we can in the mornings and then whatever my mileage is to be that day, I could finish it at the gym later.  I'm out of ideas of how to get this long run in.  Once it cools off, I can go back to running Sunday evenings.

My last half training worked out because the race was in December and I didn't have to start training until August and by the time I was doing the longer runs, I could drop my son off with family because those runs were in the evening.  I don't have a lot of support when it comes to running.  I've run a total of 6 races since '09 and had someone there to support me twice.  I did put my son in one of the races with me, so that would make 3.  I really like running and I need a way to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jul 18, 2011 5:35 AM (in response to littlegirltx)
    Re: Kinda New - Need Help with Training

Yes you can split your long runs into two runs.  I would not do this all the time.  Might even help some, you are better when you run with good form, often during the the last miles people forms breaks down and that can cause injuries.  Good luck.

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2. Aug 16, 2011 11:17 AM (in response to littlegirltx)
    Re: Kinda New - Need Help with Training

I just want to say, good for you keeping up the running and involving your son. My boys are teens, so they can stay home alone - this morning I left an "out running" note because I headed out for a 6-mile run before they woke up. I sympathize with you on the heat.

Sorry I can't give advice on splitting up the run since I'm a newbie at this distance - doing my first half in October, when the longest I've run without walking breaks is 10K, 7.5 miles with walking breaks. I know it feels different running twice in one day rather than the whole distance all at once. Given your restrictions, just getting in enough miles per week will be better than not, so I say do whatever you need to fit running into the rest of your life.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points