Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6362 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 6:19 PM by rb77 RSS
Shourek Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 15, 2011 10:57 AM

Treadmill runners

So I started running about 3 weeks ago, on a treadmill...  The treadmill is nice because it's controlled, easily measured, and there are televisions and raquetball players at the gym that I can watch for entertainment.  Not sure why, but I don't like the idea hitting the road just yet.  It's been a hot summer, and I don't feel comfortable running in "public".  Are there others like me out there?

• kml0812 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 4, 2011
    1. Aug 15, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to Shourek)
    Re: Treadmill runners

I started running in April. I run on my lunch hour, and i am not comfortable running on the roads where i work, so i go to the gym.  Once i was able to run for 15 minutes non stop, i did try running outside, it is a totally different experience, i thought it was harder, but i did enjoy it more.   I do not do a lot of out door running, but plan try and add it in at least once a week.  The problem i am finding now with the treadmill, is i want to try and increase my speed, but i don't know how fast i should set the treadmill at.  Outside it would be easier, because i would just run as fast as i can.

• Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    2. Aug 15, 2011 6:31 PM (in response to Shourek)

I started the C25K plan in March this year.

Most of my early running was done on the local high school track when the weather was nice or inside on a treadmill.  I like running outdoors but travel a lot for work and it is hard to find a good place to run.  Hotel treadmills are a good place most of the time.

probably will use the elliptical at home in the winter when I cannot get out on the road.

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3. Aug 16, 2011 12:41 PM (in response to Shourek)

When I started running last November I was strictly on the treadmill.  My first outdoors run was my first race!  Now I do my during-the-week runs on the 'mill and my Sunday Runday longer run outside.  The 'mill was nice when we had all that 90 degree + high humidity weather a couple of weeks ago.  Plus traffic is a lot lighter on Sunday morning when I do my street run so I worry less about being run over.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• MugsyMac Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 16, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to Shourek)

When I started C25k at the end of May 2011, I started on the treadmill. I then progressed to an indoor track because like you, I just didn't feel comfortable running in public. I'm getting better at changing how I feel but I still won't run in the city where I live, I'm sticking to trails and a park. I figure it's outside but the city where I live is a tourist area and I don't want to worry about what people may think even though I know I shouldn't. I'm on the heavy side so I've been thinking that way my whole life. I just don't want to ruin how I feel about running by thinking about how I look right now too.

Good luck!

Stuff About Me:

5/2/11 RNY Gastric Bypass surgery (the day my life changed forever!)

Completed Races:

9/18/11 Saratoga Palio (my first 5k)

10/2/11 The ROC 5k Run

10/22/11 The Great Pumpkin 5k

Upcoming Races:

5/5/13 Twin Lights Half Marathon

• Monkey In The Middle Amateur 22 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    5. Aug 16, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to Shourek)

I'm a new treadmill owner but I think I've been training the opposite way of everyone here.  I've been running outdoors since 2006 and just this past summer my husband and I invested in a Nordic. Where we live gets really hot and being that I love to run in the early evening (as opposed to the morning) it gets really daunting.  Sometimes it doesn't get bearable until it's already dark.

I really like the treadmill we got, especially since it has an incline that goes up to 40%, but I much rather run outdoors and the busier the area the safer I feel (although my garage is probably safest).

We have bike paths where we live and they're awesome for runners/walkers, etc.  The cyclists probably don't like us that much but as long as everyone follows the rules it's all good.

Two things that treadmills have over street running is you don't have to put on all that gear and you don't have to worry about dog doo.

Looking forward to this: http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/sandiego/

• yagerc Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    6. Aug 22, 2011 3:31 PM (in response to Shourek)

Like some others, I started with treadmill training in a gym, but a couple of weeks ago I did an outside run on my dirt road, and I've also joined a group run once a week.

Both are to help me get used to running outside and also with others.  I'm training for my first-ever 5K, which I KNOW will not be just me and my tunes on a treadmill

Cindy

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    7. Aug 23, 2011 10:12 AM (in response to Shourek)

When I did c25k a few years back it was a while before I ran out in the "wild".  But once you do you will understand why so many people hate the treadmill.  Running outdoors is WAY more interesting.  Even more so than a TV and people watching, at least it was for me.  My OCD side likes to know the exact speed, elevation and distance but I can run with a gadget if I really want all those details when running outside.  When you are ready give it a try, you might like it more than you'd think.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• laharris7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    8. Feb 22, 2013 11:53 AM (in response to OshCat)
    Treadmill runners

I was the same way, I was too embrassed to run outside, and not comfortable with people driving by seeing me woggling (waddle/jogging - how I picture myself when I run) down the street.  So the first time I ran outside was my first ever 5k race.  I still do alot of my runs on the treadmill, especially in nasty weather and during the winter months.  During the Spring, Summer and Fall I try to run outside at least once or twice a week. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't mind the treadmill.  When I tell people that usually, that look at me like I have ten heads.

11/25/10 - 5K - Turkey Trot - 31:27

4/16/11 - 5K - Otter Creek Trail Run - 31:28

5/8/11 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 52:27

7/4/11 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 30:56

11/24/11 - 10K - Turkey Trot- 1.01:37

5/13/12 - 5 Mile - Women's Runnning Race - 57:09

7/4/12 - 5K - Independence Day Run - 32:00

10/13/12 - Hartford ING Half Marathon - 2.36:03

4/6/13 - 5k - Kid's Place - 29.00 New PR !!!

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    9. Mar 2, 2013 5:47 AM (in response to laharris7)
    Treadmill runners

I recenty took up running again and find myself using the treadmill alot. I'd say about 90 percent of the workouts. I like the treadmill because I can

control my speed, my incline, I don't have to worry about cars, freezing or hot temperatures, or road injuries. Interestingly enough though, when I was

running 19 years ago, I hardly used the treadmill, perhaps 10-20 percent of my running workouts. But i was living in California on the west coast of Los

Angeles at the time and the weather was almost always excellent. I know some runners who love the treadmill, and others who never will set foot

on one. I think it's a great addition; however, when the weather gets nicer where I live now, would like to run outside more and reduce that treadmill

percentage to a more "reasonable" level.

P.S. I find the treadmill to also be a bit more forgiving on the legs and joints, and helpfull for beginning runners, which even though I used to run quite

a bit along time ago, consider myself a beginning runner...again. Oh, and I always set my treadmill at 1% incline to match the rigors of the road, higher

for hill workouts. Do others adjust the treadmill similiarly?

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    10. Mar 2, 2013 5:53 PM (in response to Shourek)
    Treadmill runners

I find the treadmill usefull for interval training and for incline training. So yes I use it quite a bit, but races are run outside so I prefer to run outside for my longer runs.

Where I live at is relatively flat so there are no good hills and I am not quite good enough yet at speeding up and slowing down to do interval training.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• gilbertholdings Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    11. Mar 14, 2013 3:45 AM (in response to Shourek)
    Treadmill runners

i wouldn't worry about it.  running on a treadmill might not be quite as good as outside, but it is easier on your joints. and as you mention, you get the benefits of AC and tv's   ultimately, whatever gets you motiviated to run is the best, so stick with what makes you happy.

Negative Ion Bracelets, Necklaces, and Accessories

• RunningNut3 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    12. Mar 19, 2013 8:33 AM (in response to gilbertholdings)
    Treadmill runners

Like Art, I use the treadmill for some speed, hill and tempo runs. But would prefer the roads/trails..I can only take about 30 min a treadmill before i'm bored of looking at the same stuff.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners
    Geek Turned Runner - Blog

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    13. Mar 19, 2013 6:19 PM (in response to RunningNut3)
    Treadmill runners

Shourek. I used to think that people were looking/judging my running when I first started. I can't tell you when I decided I didn't care anymore, but it did happen as I become more comfortable running.

When I see a runner who looks uncomfortable, I think to myself: At least they're out there trying, unlike a lot of people who give up.

As far as treadmills go, I try and not use them. I live in RI and have only run on a treadmill twice this winter. Once when it was really cold, and once during the blizzard.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...