Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27786 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:43 AM by huddyrunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next
  • Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 15, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

52 here and started the program in March.

Down over 35 pounds so far, added an improved diet to the plan.  Stopped eating white bread and more veggies as well as cut done on the beer intake.

I was worried about my knees,  Had knee surgery two years ago to fix a tear ].

I run every  other day and made sure I rest in between.  So far no real problems with knee.

I did have some issues with my hip and was able to correct that with some stretching exercises when I posted my issue on the Med Tent section of the forum.

Keep up the good work

Makes me feel good when I have problems with my shirts and pants getting real baggy.

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• Mauravdl Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    31. Aug 15, 2011 7:44 PM (in response to Carla JV)

Sigh - I seem to have given myself shin splints. So it's walking for me for a while, until they clear up.

Never fails

- Maura

• jetsfan42 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 15, 2011
    32. Aug 15, 2011 10:18 PM (in response to Carla JV)

hello yes , i have just completed my first city to surf 14km in 91min. i am 42 have been training for several months.

calves are tight and sore.used to do triathalons in my mid 20s. but here i am trying to fight old age like every one else

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    33. Aug 16, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to Carla JV)

Hey, I'll play!  I'm a 45 y.o. male, and though I'm not technically a beginner (started running more than 10 yrs. ago), I took a couple years off after tearing the meniscus in each of my knees and having them both scoped.  I just started running again consistently about 3 months ago, so I guess I could be called a re-beginner.  And I'm experiencing no knee pain.  Woot!!  I did suffer through some sore ankles, feet and shins the first few weeks back.  Those pains have come and gone, thankfully.  It helped getting out of my 4 year-old running shoes and into some new ones that fit better and provided better cushion/support.  In the three months since I started back (and with a change in eating habits), I've lost 40 lbs. of middle-age weight!  I'm back to within a 4-5 pounds of my college weight!  Still looking to drop those last 4-5 lbs., but I'm amazed at how much better I look and feel.  And running has become so much easier on my joints with the lower weight. Stamina has come roaring back too!  I'm still not fast by any means, but I did just set my PR for a 5k this past Sunday (28:25).  I also noticed that I got 2nd in my age group . . . Then I noticed that there were only 2 people in my age group.  That doesn't diminish my 2nd place finish does it?! 

Anyway, here's to a successful start to all of the newbies out there just starting the sport in their 40's.  Take it slow and easy and gradually build up your miles/speed.  This gradual buildup will help you stay injury-free, which is so important to us "seasoned citizens".  Plus, adding such a great aerobic exercise to your daily routine will help you feel better than you've felt in years/decades!

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    34. Aug 16, 2011 9:02 AM (in response to Carla JV)

This thread is nothing short of inspiring!  I am a 41 y/o midwife in the cornfields of Illinois.  I have never been athletic a day in my life.  Seriously.  Never.  In grade school, I was the kid who jumped *over* the kickball, y'know what I mean?  I never played any sports in high school, I passed P.E. with a "C" (I can still hear my Dad, "How come you're getting a C in Gym for God's sake?!  All you have to do is PARTICIPATE!!") High school graduation was a great day for me, because it marked the official end of any kind of forced participation in anything physical I ever had to do.  Now you should know, I was not a big kid. I graduated at 5'4" and 120#'s and stayed there through my wedding and he birth of 2 kids.  Fast forward through age 30, and grad school. where 35#'s magically appeared. A few years later, and another baby, add 6 or 8 more #'s.  Now over the years I have half-heartedly tried aerobics, walking, Curves (3 x's), various excercise DVD's, and I've quit all of them before they could ever work.  Mainly, because I hate excercise.  I hate to breathe hard, I hate to sweat.  I do not feel good when it's over, I feel like I want to DIE!  BUT... Somewhere along the last year or so I've been thinking that I would like to run.  I would like the time to just commune with nature (have I mentioned that I hate my treadmill?), and breathe in the fresh air, and just be able to think.  I started to think that I needed something just for me, that wasn't about my husband or my kids or my job.  So I was on a dieting website ( because of course, those 40#'s haven't just evaporated) and I've seen this little icon for C25K, so I decide to click on it, just to get some info.  Within 20 minutes or so I was completely comitted.  I think mentally, I was already comitted.  I went out and bought some decent shoes, a couple of decent running outfits, and I downloaded Robert Ullreys podcasts.  The first run was amazing and horrifying, and yet, I did it.  I was so out of breath after running for just 60 seconds I thought I'd never make a 30 minute run.  The next day, absolutly *everything* hurt.  But I pressed on.  I stole a quote from Yoda, "Do or Do Not"  I chose to "Do"  I am now in the middle of week 5.  I have good and not so good running days.  I run outside, excusively.  Sometimes, if I'm lazy, and I don't get out early enough, it's darned hot.  I am doing this for myself.  I am planning to run my first 5K right before my 42nd birthday.  Even if I have to wait a week or 2 and i do it after, I will still do it.  My ultimate goal is to run 5 miles 3-5x a week.  I may do the bridge to 10K, I haven't decided on that yet.  For now, I am amazed every day that I am a runner.

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

• depthsofthesea Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 15, 2011
    35. Aug 16, 2011 1:05 PM (in response to midwifemom)

To Midwife:  You summed up my story when you told yours.  I loved playing outside as a kid but hated gym class, exercises, treadmills, machines...they all seemed so ridiculous.  At times in my life, I've loved walking; walking for miles sometimes.  But now that I live in a desert, I don't like it outside much unless I go to the park along the river.  Yesterday, I started the C25K early in the morning and it was great.  The running....well, I think I'll get to the point where I don't feel like I'm going to die....that wasn't so terrific but I did it.  Today, I 'rested' by taking a walk while my car was being repaired.  Walked down to the river and walked the path along its bank.  About 40 minutes total.

I think, with the encouragement we get here, we're going to make it this time.

Jul 6, 2011
    37. Aug 16, 2011 1:58 PM (in response to depthsofthesea)

That's Wonderful!  It's all in the getting started!  Sometimes I think if we can just take that first step we can do anything!  Recently, I've started talking to my kids about what it means to put limits on ourselves.  For many, many years I considered myself to be athletically-challenged and uncoordinated.  I figured I could not be an excerciser because I hated it and I wasn't good at it.  The fact is, I made myself those things.  Then, I decided when I started the C25K, that none of that was true.  I am capable of running, not just a little, but a 5K.  And then, I will run some more, because 5 miles a day, 3-5 x's a week sounds good and healthy to me.  Maybe someday, I will decide to run more.  The point is, whatever I decide, I will do it.  I've erased the limitations that I once placed upon myself. I want my children to see that potential within themselves, so I ask them, on a fairly regular basis, "Is there anything you can't do?"  2 of them say No. One says she doesn't know. We're working on her.  We tell her that her answer should be a resounding, "No!"  With determination, hard work, and love for one's self, there is nothing we cannot do.

Keep Pushing, Always!

Midwifemom

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    38. Aug 16, 2011 2:04 PM (in response to midwifemom)

Midwife mom,

I can totally relate to the "I'm amazed I'm a runner" comment. I still ask, is this really me, this woman who enjoys going out for a several mile run? I also was never an athlete, hated PE growing up, couldn't run for longer than a minute, etc. I started running for the first time at the age of 42 and gained a completely new outlook on exercise. Now I'm 45 and I continue because running keeps me healthy and sane. I run 5Ks at a pace that might seem slow to some, but is faster than I could have dreamed of when I was 20. It feels good to be in my 40s and in the best shape of my life. So, to all the rest of you middle-aged newbies out there, keep it up!

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

Jul 6, 2011
    39. Aug 16, 2011 6:48 PM (in response to Julia66)

Julia,

You're an inspiration!  I love your times, and I can't wait until I have one of my own to post!

Keep Pushing, Always!

Midwifemom

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    40. Aug 17, 2011 6:08 AM (in response to Carla JV)
    Running my first 5k at 45

Turning 45 within 8 days & will run/walk my first 5k race on the Aug 28th.  Everybody here is so inspiring.  I guess being middle aged ain't so bad after all.  I made a commitment to myself that by age 65 will still be active and healthy.

• HayAmanda24 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 8, 2009
    41. Aug 17, 2011 6:17 AM (in response to Carla JV)

I'm not necessarily a "beginner", just a start-over. I used to be very active, ran 3 sports in High School, etc. Now after kids, marriage, and 20 years of doing very little physical activity, I'm starting over. I started running again last summer, but I did too much too soon. Ended up with tendonitis and couldn't run. I did manage to do two 5ks, but they were slow and painful. This summer, I'm taking it slower and I'm feeling better. I've been doing the C25K, mostly trying to follow it or just using it as a guide. I think the biggest thing is the "day of rest". Letting your muscles rest is so important. And stretching. Older muscles need stretching! Next Sunday, the 28th of August, I'm doing my first 5k of the summer. I'm hoping it goes better this year. I have a goal of under 35 minutes, really hoping to get closer to 30. But we'll see! You never know how you're going to feel day to day when you're over 40!

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    42. Aug 17, 2011 9:57 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Re: Running my first 5k at 45

Dinna, I'll second the active and healthy at 65 (and beyond)! Good luck on your 5K, and may you have many more to come.

I sometimes say I keep running now because I don't want to be an old woman at 65. My mother-in-law and aunt have both suffered broken hips within the past year. Building strong bones and muscles now is so important.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    43. Aug 17, 2011 11:10 AM (in response to Carla JV)

I'm 48 and it has been almost a year since I started running.  I did start a weight loss program first, using Weightwatchers.  My goal was to get down to 150 pounds being only 5'5" tall - I was at 195 when I started.  That was way too much for someone of my height, plus I know it caused joint problems specifically the knees and ankles  Any ways, after losing about 15 pounds I started a walking regimen, a couple miles 2-3 times a week.  As my time improved I increased my distance.  I placed a goal of walking in the 2010 Disneyland half marathon last September, which has a time requirement of 16 minute miles.  I planned for 14 minute miles just in case I got tired during the actual race or had to slow down because of the large number of runners.  Unfortunately I was not able to participate in the race because of a work trip.  By that time I also had attained my weight goal and decided to start running a bit during my walks since 14 minute miles was kinda fast for me and was beginning to hurt.  I had not heard of C25K but I did something similar to it.  Walked a few minutes, run a little bit, repeat.  I was able to enter a few 5Ks at the end of last year and gradually improved on my time.  I got bold and signed up for a half marathon the middle of January and was pleasantly surprised.  Not only was I able to run 13.1 miles (well, ran most of it and had a few walk breaks) but my joints have not bothered me at all.  I even went snow skiing again this year.  Add that to all of the races I have run so far and I am so thankful and blessed to be able to do what I have done.  This site has provided me a lot of inspiration from people who have gone through similar situations as well as those who are going through it right now.  Keep up the great work you have done so far.  Good luck with all and good running!!!

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• PumpkinJackson Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 15, 2011
    44. Aug 17, 2011 2:31 PM (in response to LPARafael)

I absolutely love this thread!  Yes - these stories are all so inspiring, and they are exactly what I need to keep the momentum going beyond this week (tonite I will do W1D2).  I wish there was a little "Like" button, as there is on Facebook, because I "Like" every one of the posts I have read.  Thanks everyone for posting your successes and words of encouragement.  I especially enjoy reading the runs and times.  Hopefully in October, I'll be posting mine as well.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...