Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

813 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 11:41 AM by mkayc RSS
Running Aficionado Pro 188 posts since
Jun 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2011 6:17 PM

Top 10 Questions of Running Beginners Series - How Long Should My First Runs Be?

Hello Runners!

I would like to start a thread series called "Top 10 Questions of Running Beginners". I would like to encourage everyone to share their thoughts, opinions, comments, techniques and best practices so we all can learn from each other.

Here's question No. 1 - How long should my first runs be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Resource Worth Checking -  Running Training for 10K with Zero Injury

Marathon Running

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

I believe there is no one correct answer to this question, becaue it is so dependent on general health, overall fitness level, and recent aerobic experience.

Let me use my son and my brother as examples, since they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. My son is 19 and thin (about 10-15 lb underweight). He's not a runner, but he's an avid and experienced hiker and backpacker. He easily hauls a 40 lb backpack up and down hills for miles, as if it were a daypack. For him, a program like C25K would be way too easy, and he'd probably quit out of boredom. My brother, on the other hand, is 61, overweight and sedentary. He'd be lucky to get through the first week of C25K intact. You get the idea.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Hey, I resemble that remark. I am 62, overweight and have a desk job. I finished C25k almost right on time and without injury but I know what you mean. It was a struggle until the fifth week. Many of the younger women who started C25k at the same time are now running 12 and 11 mm. I am still at 14+ on a good day and happy as a pig in mud that my body is giving me that much. 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points