Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2223 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2011 12:17 PM by joannadnc RSS
elegancebg07 Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2011 11:29 AM

How do I lengthen my stride properly and breath right ?

I've tried lengthen my stride but I know i'm over doing it because I started getting chin splints and I have short legs so when I try to do it it feels like I'm not lenghtening it at all !  Also I do the whole breath through nose out through mouth, but I still get tired, my mouth gets dry when I start running faster.  How long should I jog for then sprint for when running two miles ?  When I do jog for 3 sprint for 3 I end up getting tired by 12 min .  HELP PLEASE ! I have a pt test in two days, I can pass it but my RUN is the only thing I struggle with !
  • CTeaglesfan Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011

HEY!!!,

Judging by the 'PT test' you're a soldier. I served 4 year in active army. One of the first things I learned when running about breathing that I still do to this day is to control your breathing by SOLELY breathing through your nose. My mouth is closed the entire time while running. I treat breathing out the mouth as a 'treat'. I have certain point on my run where I take 3 deep breathes through the mouth. I find that breathing through the nose help you conrol your breathing. Yesterday I ran 10 miles and never once was I 'out of breath'. It may take some getting used to but try it, it works!!!

Matt

• CTeaglesfan Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011

Not that I'm an expert or anything BUT I know of a lot of running who just breath through their nose when running and sporadically take breathes from the mouth when necessary. It probably wont be easy and it will take some time to get used to but I suggest you give it a shot. I wouldn't suggest you try it on you PT test. Test it out while running on your own free time (if there is such a thing)

When I use to run with my mouth open breathing through my mouth, I constantly got cramps in my sides. After I learned to control my breathing I haven't had a problem since. You probably need to learn to find 'your pace' too. That will also help with breathing.

I'm 5' 8" and I weigh about 185 pounds. Running for me was never easy until I got comfortable doing it. Now that I got control of my pace, comfort (which includes running style, clothing) and my breathing I finally broke the 10 mile point WITH EASE!!!!!!

If I know the military like I think I do, you run in formation. Which means you pretty much have to run the pace of the man who's in charge of PT that day. That pace maybe too slow or too fast for you. Both of which can be harmful. You probably have to find your style, pace and comfort level on you time.

Good luck Bro!!!!

Matt

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011

Don't have any answers for you since I'm just getting started back running myself.  I also served 4 years active duty Army, so...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!

• fit4lifenc Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010

It must be nice to not have constant sinuses and be able to breath only through your nose. Im a mouth breather and cant help it. The way I look at it is get the oxygen no matter how you do it even if you gotta breath through your ears lol. In fact I probably sound like a freight train coming up behind runners but hell if im passing people half my weight what does it matter 

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated-

<br>

Gladiator 5k Obstacle Race Cary, NC 63 out of 776 (10 percentile)

http://www.runtheeast.com/results/2011/Gladiator5KOverallResults.htm

Run for the Roses Raleigh, NC 123 out of 473 (26 percentile)

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=105706

<br>

• 1 mile track run PR 5:58
    • Max Bench 350 lbs http://youtu.be/RR-yNmt8RdU
    • Body weight bench 25 Reps
    • 20 dead hang pull ups no kipping crap
    • 80 pushups
    • @ 5"11 195 lbs 37 y/o

• and-she-ran Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I can't really help with the breathing thing since I have issues with this myself.

I used to have a problem with shin splints too then I watched this video on YouTube and I haven't had any issues with shin splints this time around -> http://youtu.be/rkUqkdPQHis

Thanks to all the other replies too, I have got some new things to try out regarding breathing that may help with the stitches I have been getting!!

About Me
    Read more about my journey to get healthy, learn to run and find myself at And She Ran...

• joannadnc Expert 48 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011

Hey Matt, glad to see you've broken through your barrier! Technical fabrics are awesome, aren't they!

On the first poster's questions.... Re breathing, my nose is constantly stuffy, despite allergy meds, so I breathe through my mouth when running above a certain effort level. For my long runs (10+ miles) I have used an extra decongestant before I go out so that I can eat or drink and breathe at the same time, and that's been helpful. I don't officially have asthma, though, so can't offer much advice there. But I'd just add that relatively deep controlled breaths, however the air gets in, are worthwhile -- I often count (two steps breathing in, two steps out, or three, or four, or whatever seems right) in order to focus my attention on my breathing from time to time while running, and that seems to help me if I'm struggling (as does slowing down, which may not be an option in PT!).

If you've got short legs, you just may not be able to lengthen your stride much without causing too much stress on various body parts -- shins, knees, hips, IT band.... But as you get stronger, you'll get more force from your calves with each step, which will allow you to cover more ground with each stride even though your feet aren't reaching further forward. I've noticed that for myself, and amy really grateful for it. It takes longer to happen than just lengthening your stride, but a stride that's too long for you is not sustainable. My dad is only 5'6", and he recalls that when he was in basic training, there was just no way to keep up with the same number of steps as the 6'2" guys all around him.

If I'm remembering right, you said the 3-3 jogging-running intervals were too hard and you tired out by 12 minutes. So, I think you've answered your own question there -- the right interval for you is less than 3-3, and/or your pace for the jog and/or run is too fast for that interval! I tried a 2 minute jog, 30 second fast run (NOT sprinting), and a minute walk, repeated for about 20-25 minutes, about halfway through C25K, and that worked for me. The walk allowed me to recover faster than if I'd tried to just keep jogging, and the faster running segments helped build calf strength. But you can see what works for you. Hope the PT test went well!

--joanna

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points