Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9627 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 1:55 PM by googleeye RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • SJMisRunning Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Aug 16, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to and-she-ran)
    Re: Just started C25K (@W1D2) You too?

Everyone is doing a great job! It's nice to have a place to visit to keep getting inspired.

I did my Day 3 of Week 1 today & completed it. I got up at 5:45 am. I didn't want to do it at first, but told myself that if I don't get up, I won't keep it up. So, I got out of bed & did it.

Found a great path for me that ends up being just short of my house. I use that extra time to continue to cool down.

I'll repeat a couple of days just to give myself the pace I want.

• skinnymom139 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    46. Aug 16, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to SJMisRunning)

Oh, I love running (or walking) early in the morning! some days it's my best chance to get it in, being a mom of a 2year old and a 3.5 year old. It's so cool and fresh at 5am! And quiet!

Anybody having trouble with being really tired for the rest of the day after a workout? I'm not a big pasta fan, but I'm having spaghetti for lunch today in hopes that it will help.

• teacherintraining Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    47. Aug 16, 2011 9:36 PM (in response to skinnymom139)

Skinnymom,

You need to eat a protein snack before and after your run.  That should help with both hunger and energy.

Jul 31, 2011
    48. Aug 17, 2011 4:35 AM (in response to teacherintraining)

teacherintraining wrote:

Skinnymom,

You need to eat a protein snack before and after your run.  That should help with both hunger and energy.

Yeah, I'm bad about eating enough before. I do eat after.. usually a protein shake mix with milk and fruit and PB, but I've been known to only eat a banana before. Energy was better yesterday, but I got a nap with my daughter in the afternoon that I can't always count on.  That protein stuff is awesome, but expensive, and I'm stingy with it. Maybe an egg or two? or an egg and a white? I read that lentils are good before a workout, but who has that kind of time? any suggestions? If I'm gonna start buying protein bars, I need to find one I like the tast of.

My left knee hurt yesterday, seemed to get worse as the day went on. I'm sure it didn't help that we went to the county fair last night, so I was up & walking on it for 3-4hours. I'm sure I should've iced it. Wasn't swolen.  Feels much better this am, and today is a rest day. If it's still bothering me tomorrow, I'll push my training day off till Friday. I'll miss it, though. I get cranky when I can't exercise.

Jul 22, 2011
    49. Aug 17, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to skinnymom139)

skinnymom139 wrote:

teacherintraining wrote:

Skinnymom,

Yeah, I'm bad about eating enough before. I do eat after.. usually a protein shake mix with milk and fruit and PB, but I've been known to only eat a banana before. Energy was better yesterday, but I got a nap with my daughter in the afternoon that I can't always count on.  That protein stuff is awesome, but expensive, and I'm stingy with it. Maybe an egg or two? or an egg and a white? I read that lentils are good before a workout, but who has that kind of time? any suggestions? If I'm gonna start buying protein bars, I need to find one I like the tast of.

Yeah, egg is good protein.  Eat the whole egg not just the white, the protein and nutrients are in the yolk.  As for bars, I liked the "Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars."  My parents, however didn't like them at all and they are rather expensive, but they satisfy you for a long time.  Also nuts like Almounds, provide protein and are a healthy quick and easy snack. Hope that helps.  Keep up the good work!

Jul 31, 2011
    50. Aug 18, 2011 1:11 AM (in response to teacherintraining)

teacherintraining wrote:

Yeah, egg is good protein.  Eat the whole egg not just the white, the protein and nutrients are in the yolk.  As for bars, I liked the "Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars."  My parents, however didn't like them at all and they are rather expensive, but they satisfy you for a long time.  Also nuts like Almounds, provide protein and are a healthy quick and easy snack. Hope that helps.  Keep up the good work!

Almonds! there's a good idea... or walnuts.. Thanks for the tip

Knee feels better but not 100%. Think I'll walk this morning and see if I can get in to the Dr later today. Probably not torn or anything, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and if there's some easy exercises I can do to make sure it doesn't tear, and doesn't hurt I'll be better off.

Frustrating, though. I feel like every time I get really started in a good exercise routine with good goals something happens to derail it. Oh well, cry me a river, right? I saw this documentary about a guy from Ghana, who makes $2 a day, who was born with no shin bone who does triathalons with his friend who was born with NO LEGS! so really, what's my excuse?

• Stacygayle Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 14, 2011
    52. Aug 18, 2011 11:55 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

I'm doing W2D1 tomorrow.  Excited to see if I can do it   W1 was hard the first 2 days but day 3 wasn't bad so I think I'm getting more stamina.  I'll let you know how W2D1 goes.  Good luck!

Jul 31, 2011
    54. Aug 23, 2011 6:50 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Well, after W3D2, I officially have to take a break from C25K for another couple weeks. Looks like my knee cartilage is beginning to wear thin, and apparently I have pathetically weak quads. Doc said no impact training.. cycling, elliptical, and swimming are okay, but no fitness walking or running for 3 weeks. My last walk was a week ago today. I'm also taking a bear's dose of ibuprofen every 8 hours or so (wether it hurts or not), for another week, and I've added a serving of unflavored knox gelatin to my smoothie. Physical therapy starts today.

But I am NOT GIVING UP! I never really cared if I went fast, I just want to be able to run. Hopefully, if I build up some more leg muscle, and take the training a little slower.. I was thinking I could push myself faster because I was running and could still breathe, which was something I'd never been able to do before. It never occurred to me that my leg muscles might not be ready as soon as my heart and lungs were.

Trying not to be discouraged.

Jul 31, 2011
    56. Aug 27, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

and-she-ran wrote:

I just completed W4D1 and I CANNOT BELIEVE I could do the 5 minute intervals without stopping!! Who is this person???

Awesome!! Keep going!

I'm still on this thread..

Drs orders.. I cant run again until Sept 13, but I have a work out scheduled for that day and in the mean time, I'm considering my PT exercises to be my training. I also scored a second hand bike for <$100. On the 13th, I think I'll do a W1 workout just to see if my knee gives me any trouble. I probably wont run the 5K I signed up for end of Oct, (my PT person didn't rule it out, but didn't sound hopeful either, given the break in training) but I am hopeful to walk it.. Running may or may not be in my future long term, but I love the bike, too.

• ajoygardner Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 23, 2007
    58. Aug 28, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hello All -

I'm not new here, just a lurker.  I've started and stopped C25K four or five times and I am back at it again.  My weight has spiraled out of control after 3 kids and since youngest DD is now 2, I have a little time to myself again.  I am working with a personal trainer on the strength training side of things and I know this is the way to go on the cardio side.

I am starting back on W3D1, it seems to be the best place for me to pick back up. I think that puts me right where everyone is!  I have added Abby on FB and look forward to meeting everyone as we all progress!

Jul 22, 2011
    59. Sep 2, 2011 10:51 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

Hello,

I haven't disappered or quit. I just moved back to school and am still getting into the swing of things.  I did do wk4 d2 a couple days ago, I had to stop and walk ONCE (as compared to four) this time, and missed by turn to head back and added an extra 30 min. walk uphill to the end.  Oh well.

And-she-ran, congrats on your run!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points