Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

809 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2011 4:54 PM by justamaniac RSS
justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2011 8:30 AM

What nutrition to take 4 Chicago Marathon?

I'm running my first marathon (Chicago 2011) and am interested in what more experienced runners suggest for nutrition I should carry with me (or accept on the course).  I expect to run somewhere between a 9:30-10:00 min/mile pace (perhaps faster - weather dependant), I'm 54, and have only  been running for 3 years.  I've done 3 HM and various 5K, 10K, 10M events.  I don't want to "bonk", but I don't want to over-do it.  I'm currently experimenting with various routines during my long runs (16, 18, and 20 mile runs),   but would love to receive some experienced advice.

Thanks,

-b

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 16, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Re: What nutrition to take 4 Chicago Marathon?

You want to use what ever you have been using during your training long runs.  Find what works for you now, the race is no time to try something new.  For me I should take some fuel about every 35-45 mins (I don't always and pay for it).  If I run a marathon hard I have stomach issues after around mile 15, once you run out of glycogen lots of bad things happen.  Take gels with water not sports drinks.  Make sure you eat right the entire week prior to your marathon, add some extra carbs in the entire week.  Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points